Forum Index > Trail Talk > The last northbound PCT thru hiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 2:59 pm 
Monday, October 22, I was privileged to meet Katharina, from Munich, who is fairly certain that she is the last thru hiker coming up from Mexico. I was standing at an illegal campfire built two feet from Lake Susan Jane, explaining to a couple of newbies from Arizona why it was illegal to do so, when Katharina marched by and snagged me for a ride. I spent the next two hours hiking out with her and being regaled with the most amazing stories! What an exceptional and inspirational young woman, and not surprisingly, very stubborn and determined. I tried my best to dissuade her from continuing north to Canada, in light of the deteriorating weather forecast, but she would have none of it. She felt like she had enough gear in her 40lb pack to survive the expected bad weather, and I tended to agree. Two tarps, plus a tent, five days worth of batteries to back up her two phones which she uses for directions, Microspikes for her Altra trailrunners, (which I was also wearing smile.gif ), two down jackets, extra hats and gloves, rain gear, big garbage sacks for wearing inside her sleeping bag, and an extra blanket for her sleeping bag and hand and foot warmers. What she didn’t have, that really worries me, is any kind of satellite phone, InReach or Spot device in case she needs help. But what can you do, she had her heart set on reaching Canada. rolleyes.gif I dropped her off at Jerry Dinsmore’s HikerHaven that night, whereupon he also tried to talk her out of continuing north. I haven’t heard back from her since, so it looks like she continued her march north. She moves about 15 miles a day, which would put her in the heart of the Glacier Peak Wilderness today. If anyone sees her, I would love to hear from them, and am hoping for the best for a very special woman!
Katharina, from Munich, the last northbound PCT thru hiker from Mexico, Stevens Pass, WA 10/22/18
Katharina, from Munich, the last northbound PCT thru hiker from Mexico, Stevens Pass, WA 10/22/18

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm 
She'll have a good weather day tomorrow but it looks like snow and rain comes in during the night and quite a bit. A stubborn German doesn't quit easily though.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 3:28 pm 
Somebody (trail angel) needs to head up to Harts Pass with some hot coffee in about a week.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 3:29 pm 
I forgot to mention, she’s half Russian, so between the two, just about impossible to change her mind. agree.gif Great idea, cyclopath! up.gif

kbatku
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
she’s half Russian
From a Russian's perspective it never really gets cold in Washington. So no problem!

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 7:48 pm 
This is awesome - I admire her persistence and hope she is safe. Would be very interesting in hearing about her experiences in the last part of PCT - Steven's pass to Canada.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 8:30 pm 
Just took a peek at the forecast, not so good, and I hope this goes well for her.

Off trail rambler
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 pm 
2 feet of snow above 5500 or so in the next few days up there.

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 9:34 pm 
Well as a helpful hiking community that wishes the best for people in the Cascades, let's quit posting ominous farewells and go make some trail magic up.gif sorry I'm feeling cantankerous hockeygrin.gif But I'm up for heading out with some well wishes and a thermos of hot toddy. Who's with me?

kbatku
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 10:34 pm 
Is there a good way to heat an apple pie, or something from the Mazama Store? I bet warm food that wasn't freeze dried would make her day.

pcg

pcg
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 11:22 pm 
How far up is the Harts Pass road plowed? Do they stop plowing after a cetain date?

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 4:06 am 
RichP wrote:
A stubborn German doesn't quit easily though.
I've heard it said that "you can always tell a German, but you can't tell 'em much"! My wife, for example.... lol.gif I hope this young woman does well and reaches her goal without incident.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 5:24 am 
Thanks for sharing cool story and good luck to Katharina.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 am 
pcg wrote:
How far up is the Harts Pass road plowed? Do they stop plowing after a cetain date?
You can snowmobile up the road but there are several avalanche chutes to go by.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DadFly

DadFly
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 am 
In Leavenworth I found a ceramic tile that read "Happiness is being married to a German." Since I am 3/4 german my ex wife thought that was pretty funny. This woman will have a great time and have stories to tell.

"May you live in interesting times"