Admin
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 9:40 pm 
Here's the CBS news clip:

Gil
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 9:29 pm 
Wow, Nancy, that's great! How exciting for you.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 10:01 pm 
Thanks Kim, it has been an interesting couple of weeks! The crew from CBS had to do a lot of serious arm twisting to get me to agree to them coming to my house. Fortunately, I had a German housecleaner to help me. lol.gif The video they took of me going for a walk was just an afterthought on their part, which I did for them after they interviewed the pilots at the SAR headquarters. Earlier, the cameraman took some cute video of my horse giving Katharina some kisses, and I was bummed out that he didn’t make the final cut. bawl.gif We were hoping all the media attention would generate more donations to Snohomish County SAR and indeed there has been a bump. Now I am looking forward to life getting back to normal, and focusing on the Calendar Contest and Social. smile.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 10:24 pm 
No one ever had to buy a new outfit to go to the calendar social. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Nov 11, 2018 8:21 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Now I am looking forward to life getting back to normal, and focusing on the Calendar Contest and Social. smile.gif
I've been very happy to share this story with friends & family. I wish I were going to be able to attend the social so I could thank you in person, but we'll be arriving "out west" a few days later. So, I'll just say thanks for following up on your "mom instincts". up.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Nov 11, 2018 4:24 pm 
Wow, that CBS piece was the best of them all. Really nice! Nancy, you are very photogenic and a natural on camera.

Routes

Routes
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 1:47 pm 
Tom wrote:
Here's the CBS news clip:
Great. Now I'm crying at work again. bawl.gif

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 3:56 pm 
BIG win!!! Highly competitive!!! Way to go Nancy!!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 11:59 am 
https://www.stern.de/tv/deutsche-bergsteigerin-wird-kurz-vor-dem-erfrieren-aus-us-hochgebirge-gerettet-8443364.html Google translation: German mountaineer is saved shortly before freezing Katharina Gröne gets into a blizzard in the American high mountains. Alone, almost frozen, powerless and hopeless, the 34-year-old German waits for days in icy cold weather. Her last-minute rescue owes her to a chance encounter.
Katharina Gröne (34) in the middle of a blizzard, somewhere in the American Cascade Mountains. Alone on the way in the wild - for Katharina Gröne it should be the adventure of a lifetime: the well-known, highly demanding long-distance trail along the west coast of the US from the Mexican high to the Canadian border: 4279 kilometers. Every year, some 3,500 hikers run the legendary "Pacific Crest Trail" on the west coast of the United States, which became well-known through the film "Wild" with actress Reese Witherspoon. Katharina Gröne had also seen the film - and wanted to go. In May she started her big adventure on the Mexican border. She ran every day up to 50 kilometers. For five months. "I was totally unsportsmanlike, in the last job I actually just stood and smiled nicely, which of course was a blatant challenge from now on I was a high-performance athlete." At the end of October, she had made 4,000 kilometers - an incredible achievement for the Munich resident. But two weeks ago, her adventure came to an abrupt end. "You lose your fingers first, but not your feet!" At the end of October, the last section will be in front of her: only 200 kilometers to go. Giving up is out of the question for the 34-year-old. Not even when she meets American Nancy and walks with her for a few miles. Nancy breaks off the hike, fearing an upcoming blizzard. The piece lying in front of Katharina is the riskiest: high altitude, difficult paths, unpredictable weather. The American wants to dissuade Katharina from going on, it is too risky. Katharina Gröne but wants to create the last section. She keeps going on until the weather changes. Except for her, no hiker is on the road anymore. The 34-year-old is alone. In the middle of the Cascade Mountains, with snowdrift and icy temperatures. She wanders around - without mobile phone reception, without orientation. The next town is miles away. Katharina lingers in the snowstorm, wrapped in a blanket under a tarpaulin, drenched, powerless, hopeless. She has first signs of frostbite. "I just thought: These are my feet, I can not lose them, you lose your fingers or something like that first - but not your feet! That scared me terribly." Every hour, Katharina is worse, the situation seems hopeless. She has not seen a soul for four days, nobody would even come close. "I shouted for help, but it kept going downhill with me, my body was getting weaker and weaker," she says. Desperately, she speaks farewell messages to her parents on her phone. She apologizes that she has gone too far. Here and now, her life adventure would end: "I can not walk anymore, it's so cold, it's just cold, I feel I can not feel my little finger anymore, I do not know what to do." "Katharina, run! You are running for your life" But the American Nancy can not forget Katharina: Why did not she get any more news from the Germans, heard nothing more from her? Nancy writes a message in a walking forum. But there they are appeased, Katharina would make it. The American woman, however, leaves no peace. After five days she alerts the mountain rescue. A helicopter flies off the mountains without knowing exactly where to look. Because of the driving snow, the rescue pilots still have a poor view. "I was about to give up, I ran out of fuel, but I thought we'd start another attempt," says pilot Bill Qustorf. This time the mountain rescuers find a trail: Katharina's footprints in the snow. While the helicopter is looking for a place to land, Katharina runs away from Gröne - for fear that the rescuers could turn off. "I really started howling, I ran and could not, even though it went downhill, I even screamed my name 'Katharina, run! You're just running for your life! If you just take a break now, and it escapes you, then that's it! Katharina Gröne is picked up at the last minute and saved, thanks to Nancy's initiative. The first days after the rescue she came to her American savior and could thank her personally. Two weeks later Katharina was now guest at stern TV, recovering and recovering. What a blessing, she herself knows: "An absolute stranger decides: I will not leave the child alone, I'll get her out of there if she has a problem and it worked!"

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 pm 
Great video and interesting to see the German perspective on the story with a little bit of drama. wink.gif They did a good job of explaining to the public what and where the Pacific Crest Trail is and how the rescue unfolded. Towards the end you get to see Nancyann's NWHikers post that started this thread. According to the chyron on the video Nancyann is an erfahrene Wanderin. I believe that translates to "experienced Hiker". ~z

BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 7:01 pm 
Yes, that’s what it means. Really good CBS news clip and excellent story in the Stern!

wildcat

wildcat
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 7:02 pm 
hero!

RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 7:16 pm 
The expressions on her parents' faces upon her arrival in Germany are priceless.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 7:24 pm 
I am not sure who is responsible for this, but someone at Snohomish County took Nancy's concern seriously rather than dismissing it. That person or persons deserve some thanks as well. They could have very easily dismissed this or delayed with a "wait and see" approach. Instead they set things in motion and found Katharina. Another day would have been too late. Again, a marvelous response by all those involved. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 7:46 pm 
Rumi, that person was Sargeant John Adams, the Snohomish County Sheriff who called me back shortly after I made the second 911 call. I told him I had figured out approximately where Katharina would be, and I said, “You’re familiar with Fire Creek Pass, aren’t you? His response was that they had made many rescues there. He didn’t even hesitate, he said the cloud layer might be too low to get a copter up, but they would try that first. If that didn’t work, then he would start a ground search. He immediately understood the seriousness of her situation, thankfully!

kbatku