Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ed Viesturs Does Not Care About Your Guided 8,000er Speed Record
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Nov 10, 2023 7:07 pm 
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/everest/ed-viesturs-does-not-care-about-your-guided-8000er-speed-record/ Viesturs calls out the commercialization of the Himalaya high peaks and the "uptick in record chasing". Some inspiration at the end, with Viesturs praising an alpine style ascent of the North Face of Jannu, a climb described as "a push up a face three times the size of Yosemite’s El Capitan, climbing pitch after pitch of vertical rock and ice for seven days.

Off trail rambler

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 4:44 pm 
I think one way of looking at all this is whether or not a new record or such actually pushes the sport of climbing forward or is simply a way to gain attention, a stunt so to speak. Sometimes that is hard to discern and other times it is blatantly obvious. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 12, 2023 5:06 pm 
If anybody should get legit FKTs on 8000 meter peaks -- it needs be the sherpa's that are doing the guiding.

Eric Gilbertson, DadFly, Chief Joseph, Anne Elk, seawallrunner, Opus, SpookyKite89  idoru
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Nov 14, 2023 10:23 am 
A guided client should definitely get little credit for any record. But other than that, let people climb their own climbs. If you want to get in great shape and race up a known route just to see how fast you are... more power to you. If you want to get off the beaten path and explore thats cool too. So is just relaxing in the hills. These are neither a "bad" nor "good" reason to be there... each climber can make his or her own style choice, so long as they arent damaging the environment or screwing over others.

Chief Joseph, Shred
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostThu Nov 16, 2023 12:44 pm 
I hiked to Heybrook Lookout in 24 minutes. That was my fastest time without a day pack and in shorts, t-shirt and trail runners. Oh, and an InReach hooked to my belt loop. I left my gatorade in the truck.

Vesper Peak
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 9:40 am 
I want to get up si in less than 1 hour. Not quite the same as racing up 8000m peaks but much cheaper and safer!