Forum Index > Trip Reports > Castle Peak, 10/27/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 4:49 pm 
October 27, 5:20am - 5:40pm Eric Gilbertson (solo) 29 miles (14 trail, 10 bushwhacking, 5 scrambling), 4,700ft gain Castle peak is one of the seven extra bonus Bulger peaks, so I had to bag it. My original plan was to do a relaxing backpacking trip to Castle over the weekend, but when it turned out there would only be one good weather day I decided to hike it as a day trip. There are three main approaches to Castle Peak. You can either take the Ross Lake water taxi to Hozomeen Campground and hike the freezout creek route, you can drive to Hozomeen Campground via British Columbia and hike the freezout creek route, or you can start at Manning Park and ascend the south route. The freezout creek route is mostly trail and scrambling with minimal bushwhacking (as far as I've read), and about 34 miles round trip. Unfortunately the Ross Lake water taxi schedule was not very compatible with my schedule for a Saturday dayhike, and more importantly it is very expensive for a solo person ($390 round trip). The road access to Hozomeen is closed until spring since the Skagit Valley Park in British Columbia is closed from forest fires. That left the Manning Park approach as the best option.
The route
The route
Crossing through frosty meadows on the start of the bushwhack
Crossing through frosty meadows on the start of the bushwhack
Typical open bushwhacking terrain on the route
Typical open bushwhacking terrain on the route
This approach involves starting on Monument 78 trail in Manning Park, BC, and hiking to the US border. Then the route requires bushwhacking about 5 miles along Castle Creek to gain the 3rd class scramble route up the south face of Castle Peak. I’ve seen a handful of reports from this route, most taking several days, and all reports noted the difficult bushwhacking. I’d honed my bushwhacking skills over the summer climbing a bunch of Bulgers, though, so figured I could probably tough it out. I actually kind of enjoy bushwhacking in the Cascades, and it sounded like a fun adventure. I drove up the Manning Park Friday evening, arriving at 8pm at the Monument 78 trailhead. I was just getting ready to go to sleep when a ranger drove up and said I couldn’t sleep there and had to go to a campground. I really hate paying to sleep, but I had no other option at that point. I wished I had just gotten a later start, since he would have missed me if I had just arrived 15 minutes later. It took a while for me to find a campground in the provincial park that was open in winter (“winter” starts Oct 8 at Manning Park), and then I realized I had to pay for it at the lodge. By 9pm I finally was asleep in the back of the car and Lone Duck 1 campground. I was up at 4:45am and hiking by 5:20am. My plan was to hit the bushwhacking at sunrise, and I figured the 7-mile stretch of trail to the border would take about 2 hours, putting me at the bushwhack at 7:20am. The Monument 78 trail appears to be an old logging road now maintained as an ATV access route to the border. I regretted not bringing my mountain bike, since the trail is in excellent shape most of the way for biking (all but a 1-mile overgrown section in the middle). By about 7:20am I reached the PCT border camp and crossed the bridge over Castle Creek. On the west side of the bridge I plunged into the woods as the sun was rising. I paralleled Castle Creek, staying within earshot but a bit up the hill to find more open woods. I soon crossed the border clearing and continued into the US.
The south face of Castle Peak
The south face of Castle Peak
Looking up the southwest ridge towards the summit
Looking up the southwest ridge towards the summit
Looking back down my snowy scramble route on the southwest ridge
Looking back down my snowy scramble route on the southwest ridge
For the bushwhack I generally stayed close to and paralleling Castle Creek. Too close to the creek the terrain is swampy, but about 100 ft up the hillside I found the terrain generally quite open and the bushwhacking not too bad. There were the occasional fallen trees to scramble over, but I picked up fleeting game trails once in a while and rarely encountered any dense growth. After about two hours I reached the point where Castle Creek turns west, and started ascending through very open woods with almost zero undergrowth. Around 5,200ft I went to the right of some steep terrain, passing to the left of some avy debris. I then crested a small hill and reached a small tarn. I crossed Castle Creek above the tarn and got a good view of the south face of Castle Peak. Snowline started around 7,000ft. Some groups have gone straight up the face, but I was not enticed by the steep snow-covered scree and slabs. I decided instead to follow the less-steep southwest ridge up. I walked up the grass and talus up Castle Creek and eventually hiked up to the Castle-Ozymandias col. At the col I was treated to great views to the west of Hozomeen, the Pickets, Baker, and the freezout creek route below. The north face aspects on the left side of the ridge were very snowy.
The view from the summit
The view from the summit
I followed the ridge up, at times scrambling and mostly just hiking, to about 7,600ft. Here the terrain got very steep and I attached my poles to my pack. I scrambled up 3rd class blocky terrain that was exciting when covered in snow. Eventually I was forced to traverse onto snowy and icy terrain on the left side of the ridge. For this I put my crampons on and carefully kicked steps in. I then continued scrambling up the snow and blocks, and crossed back over onto the south face at 8,000ft. From there I pulled the hiking poles back out and hike up the remaining 300ft on easy snow-covered scree slopes. By 12:20pm I reached the snow-covered summit. The north face dropped steeply below, and I had excellent views all around. Unfortunately the snow was too deep to find and dig out the summit register. It was windy, but not cold enough to send me back down yet. It had started out clear in the morning, but already clouds were rolling in from the west and the sun was obscured. I knew a big storm was coming in that evening, so soon departed.
The descent down the south face
The descent down the south face
More typical bushwhacking terrain on the return
More typical bushwhacking terrain on the return
The bridge across Castle Creek
The bridge across Castle Creek
For the descent, I noticed the south face didn’t look any sketchier than what I had ascended, and it would be much faster to plunge step down the snowy scree than to downclimb the sketchy snow-covered rocks on my ridge route. I easily marched down the south face to below snowline, then took off the crampons and filled up my Nalgene at a stream. I got down to the base in about 30 minutes, and took a shortcut through the woods to meet up with my ascent route around 5500ft. For the return journey I followed the same route through the woods, but this time avoided the swampy areas close to Castle Creek. For some reason I got a lot wetter bushwhacking on the return, and I think this is because the bushes were all frozen in the morning, but in the afternoon they had melted and gotten wet. By 3:30pm I emerged back on the trail, soaking wet but relieved to be out of the bushwhacking while it was still light out. I made a short detour to go see the northern terminus of the PCT at the US border, then hiked back out the Monument 78 trail. I reached my car at 5:40pm, luckily without needing the headlamp at all. After cooking a few packs of Ramen Noodles I jumped in the car, turned on Born to be Wild, and drove back to Seattle that night. I had pretty good timing, because the skies let loose about one hour into the drive and it rained hard almost the whole rest of the drive home. Link to full trip report and pictures.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 4:56 pm 
nice work, glad you're getting those extra but cool and important p400's to finish off the list.

Eric Eames
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 7:37 pm 
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
I actually kind of enjoy bushwhacking in the Cascades, and it sounded like a fun adventure.
Interesting! I am guessing that compared to some of the mountains in the tropics you have climbed, maybe our brush isn't so bad....especially in the lee-side forest.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 6:30 pm 
Impressive!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

geyer

geyer
PostTue Oct 30, 2018 11:53 am 
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
This approach involves starting on Monument 78 trail in Manning Park, BC, and hiking to the US border. Then the route requires bushwhacking about 5 miles along Castle Creek to gain the 3rd class scramble route up the south face of Castle Peak.
Interesting. I was looking at going to Castle a few weeks ago and just thought about taking the ridge trail to Frosty and then going straight down and back up around the south side. I wonder how the effort compares to bushwacking 5 miles each way? Certainly would be much more elevation.
Quote:
I found the terrain generally quite open and the bushwhacking not too bad. There were the occasional fallen trees to scramble over, but I picked up fleeting game trails once in a while and rarely encountered any dense growth.
Well, that answers that question lol.gif

cartman

cartman
PostTue Oct 30, 2018 6:42 pm 
According to a trip report I have from the end of Sept several years ago, one can drive to the Lightning TH and take the Frosty Mtn Trail and leave it "just below the 2407 east summit of Frosty and contoured south to the border" then over The Keep 7520'+ with some class 3 scrambling down to the saddle. Then "climbed the remnant glacier east of the summit to the notch just west of pt 7477 (bring crampons). The upper part of that gully was somewhat sketchy with very steep frozen mud. Scrambled the rest of the way up the south side to the summit." No rope used, and "no brush to speak of." ~19 miles, 8000'+ gain.

Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 pm 
Quote:
compared to some of the mountains in the tropics you have climbed, maybe our brush isn't so bad....
Yes, the brush can be pretty tough in the tropics for sure, with razor grass, b*****d plants (in the Belize jungle), thorns on most plants, and vines to hack through. I'm glad I don't need to wear kevlar gloves in the Cascades!

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 10:15 pm 
Again, this seems like it shouldn't be possible. Close to 12 hours. But you did it. Amazing feat.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:11 am 
For some reason I thought castle was a 50-60 mile mile endeavour. Excellent work, wish I could have done it this year, but I'm hoping to find a route up the north face next year.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com