Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Who gets to use the Teanaway Valley?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 8:53 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Fuel used by snowmobiles, not the RVs and trucks that use the sno-park.
Riiiggghht.... because as we all know, when you pull into any gas station, the attendant has a little check list and they ask if you're going to use the gasoline for your automobile, truck, bus, RV, snowmobile, or lawnmower. lol.gif A percentage of gasoline tax in Washington State goes toward trail maintenance, Randy. Hiking trails, motorcycle trails, snowmobile trails. Those that buy more gasoline pay more tax. Ergo: they are paying more into the funding for trail maintenance. Exactly which part of that are you having difficulty understanding?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 8:56 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
The idea that subjective values are some kind of holy reference and that you have to 'earn' a view from a ridge, or recreate in a way which is satisfactory to folks holding something very close to a religious view of the outdoors, is intolerance dressed up for halloween...and in this case, which lasts all year.
It is also, in the context of this discussion, a complete and total lack of understanding WHY there is a USFS, a BLM, and a DNR. Too many people live in a little bubble of delusional fantasy in which they believe that these public lands were set aside for their own exclusive use for hiking, backpacking, or other non-motorized or non-mechanical recreation. If they bothered to do a little fact checking they would understand that's not the case. But it's fun to watch them blubbering about it. lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 9:07 am 
Ski wrote:
But it's fun to watch them blubbering about it. :lol
In the article linked in the OP it's the motorized use advocates that are whining. I recall similar complaints by motorbike users, loggers, miners and float plane users protesting the creation of the Alpine Lake Wilderness area a generation ago.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 9:10 am 
Some people on this thread conflate wilderness areas (a relatively small subset of public lands) with all public lands. Do you also advocate motorized travel at Green Lake and on the Burke Gilman trail? National Parks? Publicly owned cemeteries? If not, then you necessarily acknowledge a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Some big tough guy motoheads will always play the victim. See, e.g., many of the posts in this thread. Victimhood is a big part of American culture.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 am 
Of course lines need to be drawn. I like the alpine lakes just fine, for example. And 'conflating' these lands with others is perfectly legitimate when the correct conflations are drawn. Such as, public lands are public lands...a valid 'conflation'. You seem to be trying to de-legitimize comparisons regardless of the validity of those comparisons. Is it somehow illegitimate to 'play the victim' when you are in fact going to lose access to recreation you prefer? Tell us how this is an illegitimate position, please.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Fuel used by snowmobiles, not the RVs and trucks that use the sno-park.
Uhhhh, slight problem with that view. There is no way that gas is different for a snowmobile than any other vehicle. Most all fill up at a gas station and tax is tax for them. So yes, the RVs and trucks and you and I are paying for the grooming. They contribute more from registration fees. Are you willing to register your skis? Pay a fee like the MVSTA charges for a bit of skiing on public land? Also, I may be one of the unfit, but I sure don't cover the same amount of ground on my skis that a snowmobiler does on a machine. Logic would support more groomed trails for them on that point. I'm not against non-motorized, in fact I don't have any of those toys, but dammit, folks on here get so uppity about other folk's ways of having fun. Besides, getting a ride on a snowmobile after you've screwed up a body part skiing is cheaper than calling in a helicopter.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 9:28 am 
The dang near religious component of some folks outdoor recreation preferences makes it's strongest showing on threads concerning any form of mechanized recreation, IMO. And that's fine, so long as we're clear about it's arbitrary and subjective nature.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 9:31 am 
From the KUOW website article:
Quote:
“The city life, let it go, and just kind of enjoy nature and each other.”
Vroomin'! Shootin' ! Killin' ! Bonfires ! Ahhhhh....Nature! huh.gif rotf.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 9:46 am 
Washington state's NOVA program re: gas tax and recreation funds. I don't think the majority of us have a problem with motorized use, but rather we understand some areas aren't conducive to motorized use, and in some cases, it's not possible to manage it from an agency standpoint. This is different from not wanting to share with motorized users. Please understand that. The reasons against motorized use cited in the Plan - please read it - tell why there aren't NEW motorized trails planned in the Teanaway Community Forest. Among the reasons includes LOCAL landowner concerns.It was considered; you can bet motorized communites were included in the process. DNR does a LOT of good work with the motorized community, and the knee-jerk insult to DNR's Doug McClelland, based on this project alone, is arbitrary, uninformed and incorrect. Follow what DNR does for recreation in this region and you'll find that Mr.McClelland is not prejudiced in his work. The Teanaway Community Forest Plan is a collaboration, not dictated by McClelland. I will comment about the building of more sustainable bike and hiker paths in some locations I have recently visited. There are no formal trails in some visited locations, and the braided messes are tearing up fragile vegetation. This includes damage by people who walk and bicycle to these locations.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
And that's fine, so long as we're clear about it's arbitrary and subjective nature.
It's not all that arbitrary-- motorized usage has a greater impact on the land than non-motorized usage. The number of miles of trail and acres of forest needed to support 1 snowmobile/motorbike rider is at least 10 times what is needed for 1 skier/hiker. Sharing motorized and non-motorized areas and trails has been tried multiple times and unfortunately there have been conflicts. IME 90+% of motorized users are respectful and considerate, however I also have experienced enough dingbats that think it's entertaining to pass xc skiers closely and then gun their engine spraying the skiers with their "roostertail" and Snowmobile riders I know also report experiences with xc skiers trying to stab them with their poles when they pass. It seems that both groups have a 10% jerk factor.

thxII38

thxII38
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 12:02 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
... gun their engine spraying the skiers with their "roostertail" and Snowmobile riders I know also report experiences with xc skiers trying to stab them with their poles when they pass.
Hmmm? if they [snowmobiles] are passing me on my xc skis close enough to stab them with my poles, there is a problem there

I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 1:53 pm 
Meanwhile, in my part of the world where people must be different, we have this. I don't think we understand that we can't share and that it doesn't work.
We also failed to find something to whine about on the shared part of the Rails to Trails by Republic. Those terrible motorized people slowed down and waved too much. Dammit! I wanted to be sprayed by gravel so I could start a thread about banning all motorized contraptions in the world from everywhere. waah.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 3:21 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I don't think we understand that we can't share and that it doesn't work.
We? Don't include me. I get along fine with nearly all (legal) motorized users on shared trails. Read this thread and similar threads, and it's pretty damn obvious which side enjoys driving the wedge.
Kim Brown wrote:
Among the reasons includes LOCAL landowner concerns.It was considered
Yeah, but it's so much more fun to pound the wedge deeper, blame the libs, own the libs, denigrate the libs, assign false attributions to the libs, utter unfounded sweeping stereotypes about the libs, etc., etc., etc., while simultaneously playing the victim.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 3:26 pm 
I thought I was paying attention here, but apparently I missed that part about "libs". What page was that on?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 9:29 am 
Here is a link to the actual plan. https://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/amp_sepa_other_teanaway_recplan_drp.pdf?iq7n8t Looks like existing Snowmobile usage out of the 29 pines sno-park is unchanged. A new sno-park is being added up the West Teanaway drainage with added xc trails. Comparing the proposed winter usage map to the existing Snowmobile groomed trail map. I'm not finding any loss of groomed Snowmobile trails. Any actual Snowmobile riders want to weigh in on how much Snowmobile usage the area of the proposed xc trails has been getting? https://parks.state.wa.us/DocumentCenter/View/194