Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Who gets to use the Teanaway Valley?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 3:37 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I don't think we understand that we can't share and that it doesn't work.
We? Don't include me. I get along fine with nearly all (legal) motorized users on shared trails. Read this thread and similar threads, and it's pretty damn obvious which side enjoys driving the wedge.
Kim Brown wrote:
Among the reasons includes LOCAL landowner concerns.It was considered
Yeah, but it's so much more fun to pound the wedge deeper, blame the libs, own the libs, denigrate the libs, assign false attributions to the libs, utter unfounded sweeping stereotypes about the libs, etc., etc., etc., while simultaneously playing the victim.
Interesting, I haven't seen any of that. As for wedging if you don't choose to feel wedged, then there is no divide. If not being wedged or divided is a primary value and a good one, then choose not to be divided and go along with what you formerly chose not to like. Division closed and ended. But of course the point here is the argument/implications are fake. The use of 'wedge' and the associated divide language, is to delegitimize arguments the observer doesn't like by claiming they're divisive, instead of taking responsibility for choosing to feel divided. It's a way to put pressure on the 'divider' to shut up without actually showing any reason their argument is wrong.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
From the KUOW website article:
Anne Elk wrote:
Vroomin'! Shootin' ! Killin' ! Bonfires ! Ahhhhh....Nature! huh.gif rotf.gif
To them, yes. And they're citizens and taxpayers too.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 3:47 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Washington state's NOVA program re: gas tax and recreation funds. I don't think the majority of us have a problem with motorized use, but rather we understand some areas aren't conducive to motorized use, and in some cases, it's not possible to manage it from an agency standpoint. This is different from not wanting to share with motorized users. Please understand that. The reasons against motorized use cited in the Plan - please read it - tell why there aren't NEW motorized trails planned in the Teanaway Community Forest. Among the reasons includes LOCAL landowner concerns.It was considered; you can bet motorized communites were included in the process. DNR does a LOT of good work with the motorized community, and the knee-jerk insult to DNR's Doug McClelland, based on this project alone, is arbitrary, uninformed and incorrect. Follow what DNR does for recreation in this region and you'll find that Mr.McClelland is not prejudiced in his work. The Teanaway Community Forest Plan is a collaboration, not dictated by McClelland. I will comment about the building of more sustainable bike and hiker paths in some locations I have recently visited. There are no formal trails in some visited locations, and the braided messes are tearing up fragile vegetation. This includes damage by people who walk and bicycle to these locations.
Mr Mclellan claimed getting rid of access was not the plan in the same statement where he explicitly complains about some of the locations in which they presumably fully intend to end motorized access. I appreciate your argument here, but I dislike intensely being lied to within a few paragraphs. Be *honest* no matter who doesn't like it, you're on the public payroll, that is all I ask. If my statement is wrong i'll retract it, but I reread his statement and I do not believe it is.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:14 pm 
Thursday November 01, 2018 16:37 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE State seeks new advisory committee members for Teanaway Community Forest OLYMPIA – The Washington state departments of Natural Resources (DNR) and Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) are seeking applicants for three vacant positions on their citizen-based Teanaway Community Forest Advisory Committee. The 20-member advisory committee provides input to the agencies on the ongoing management of the community forest. The committee represents the interests of governments, communities and stakeholder groups and reflects the priorities of the broad cross-section of Washingtonians who cherish the forest. The departments will accept applications from interested citizens and nominations from organizations. Preference will be given to individuals who can speak for a broader group of stakeholders (formally or informally) and are committed to balancing the five goals of the community forest. Individuals with working forest lands or range lands background are encouraged to apply, however, all interests and backgrounds will be considered. The new committee members will be expected to attend quarterly meetings, typically held in Cle Elum, over the next two years. The deadline to apply is Nov. 16. Applications and submission details are available on DNR's website at dnr.wa.gov/Teanaway. Send completed applications with a resume to teanaway@dnr.wa.gov or by mail to 713 Bowers Road, Ellensburg, WA 98926, Attn: Larry Leach. For more information, contact Larry Leach, DNR Assistant Region Manager for State Lands, at 509-925-0924 or Mike Livingston, WDFW Regional Director, at 509-457-9325. The next steps for the advisory committee will be to advise the agencies on habitat restoration and grazing management, foster strong engagement with the public, and begin implementing the recreation plan. Also, the agencies expect to begin developing a forest management strategy in the new year and will be seeking input from the advisory committee during the process. Located in the Yakima River Basin headwaters, the Teanaway Community Forest is managed through a partnership between DNR and WDFW. The 50,241-acre community forest is an important source of water and wildlife habitat, as well as a statewide recreation destination in the heart of the Cascade Mountains. Acquisition of the Teanaway was a key step in implementing the Yakima Basin Integrated Plan—an initiative developed by a coalition of public and private organizations to safeguard the basin's water supply, restore fisheries, conserve habitat, preserve working lands and enhance recreational opportunities. Contact: Mike Livingston, WDFW, 509-457-9325; Sarah Dettmer, DNR, 360-902-1066 -WDFW- -Washington State DNR-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 pm 
^ Can I nominate Kim for this gig?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 8:08 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Here is a link to the actual plan. https://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/amp_sepa_other_teanaway_recplan_drp.pdf?iq7n8t
Maybe this is a stupid question. Maybe I am not reading the maps correctly. Are they proposing to leave in place a motorized use trail (on the west side of the project area) that makes no fewer than three stream crossings? Am I seeing that correctly? Am I seeing correctly that in those locations where the motorized use trail makes the stream crossings it is noted as "low suitability"? If one of the management objectives is "To conserve and restore vital habitat for fish, including steelhead, spring Chinook, and bull trout..." does leaving in place a motorized trail which makes no fewer than three stream crossings seem counterproductive? Am I not reading this document correctly?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 6:25 am 
Ski wrote:
Am I not reading this document correctly?
I think you are and I would guess that the motorbike trails in question get enough usage , particularly from locals that closing them would generate more opposition to the plan. My surveying of the plan is that motorized usage is being restricted primarily in areas that haven't been heavily used by motorized users in the past. The cc ski trails area is fairly low in elevation and forested and doesn't lead to high elevation open areas that are fun for high-pointing - so restrictions on motorized usage might not generate as much opposition.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Ski wrote:
Am I not reading this document correctly?
I think you are and I would guess that the motorbike trails in question get enough usage , particularly from locals that closing them would generate more opposition to the plan.
I think Randy is exactly right. The alternative to leaving motorbike trails "as-is," is closing them. And that is a concern with motorized users, as stated in the article in the first post. What the motorized community can do is continue their involvement, including sourcing funding to improve those existing trails and creek crossings to the benefit of environment. By doing this, the possibility of motorized trail closure would be reduced. Two years ago, Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest’s picture of a meadow wrecked by illegal mudding was shared on several nation-wide National Forest blogs, websites, and Facebook pages throughout the year. Illegal motorized use is a big concern. Yup, I understand hikers cause a lot of damage, including being responsible for the fire along the Columbia River - I’m not arguing against motorized use, I’m simply saying that motorized use damage is a bigger poster-child than non-motorized damage, and to a great extent, motorized users have the power to help themselves keep their trails. I had posted the question earlier about the list of Teanaway Community Forest Committee members – the report lists the names, but not the affiliations. I do not know if anyone on the committee represents motorbike trails. I can only assume that is the case (it was in the beginning of the planning process).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:24 am 
Kim wrote:
"I’m not arguing against motorized use..."
Nor am I, and Randy's and your explanations of why that particular trail was left in the plan makes perfect sense. What does not make sense is allowing gasoline-powered machines to cross through any body of water - stream or otherwise - if it is habitat for anadromous salmonids or resident bull trout. The maps in the document make it appear as if those particular sections of those streams are fairly high up - are those spawning grounds? Running a motorcycle through the streambed will (A) rip up the redds, (B) increase the sediment load into the stream, and (C) potentially introduce gasoline, lubricating oils, hydraulic fluids, and/or other petroleum-based products into the stream. That is the point at which I draw a very clear line. Anybody able to offer a bit more insight on this? Is Andrea reading this thread?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:53 am 
Are you looking for hypocrisy in the plan? Because I can see how the determination that no new trails be built because of environmental concerns vs keeping existing environmentally damaging trails open would be viewed as wonky. I think the local objections to motorized use may have nixed any studies for new motorized trails, so new trails was DOA fairly quickly; but they aren't interested in removing motorized use, which would create a lot of backlash against the plan as you stated earlier. I haven't seen any appendices that include studies. DNR's site probably has good information on fish habitat there. Perhaps the streams are dry most of the year (I don't know, though). As you know, taking is allowable for the benefit of recreation. Perhaps the partners all agreed to allow current use, considering take.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 11:07 am 
No, I'm not looking for hypocrisy in the plan. I am wondering if what I think I'm seeing on the maps is what I think it is: motorized vehicles crossing through a body of water. If they're ephemeral streams, and the activity is limited to those periods in which the channels are dry, that's a different deal. But for all the same reasons that any in-stream work performed for the purposes of riparian zone rehabilitation (i.e., placement of man-made log structures) is limited to low-water periods - generally late summer and early fall - motorized vehicles have no place in the water - it rips up the streambed and increases the sediment load downstream and (more often than not) introduces toxic contaminants into the water. If it's spawning habitat, it destroys redds. I find it difficult to believe they'd actually allow that to happen. There have been motorcycle and 4x4 trails closed/ditched/bermed/blockaded all over for exactly this reason. (Oak Creek Wildlife Refuge, Cispus River mainline just below the confluence with the North Fork Cispus, ad infinitum.) And make no mistake: I am not one of those opposed to motorized recreational use of public lands. We were just arguing that up-thread a day or so back. I am adamantly opposed to motorized recreational use of public lands where it degrades habitat for fish - running a motorized vehicle through a stream does exactly that.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:01 pm 
I don't think DNR has done a lot of environmental work in that area. I don’t know that to be the case, however. Commissioner Franz is different from the previous Commissioner (I keep wanting to call the previous one Commissioner Gordon, but I know that’s not right). I once heard him on the radio after DNR was mandated by a judge to correct an environmental issue about marbled murrelet habitat – the Commissioner's response to the Order was that the beneficiaries of the trust lands come first, before environment, and he wasn’t planning on complying with the judge's order. I don’t know if DNR has changed since Franz was voted into that office; I haven’t paid much attention to it. Perception of the Franz administration (from Seattle, one time head of Futurewise) might be a concern with the people that were interviewed in the original poster’s article, if they are in tune with DNR, how it works, and who the Commissioner is.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:29 pm 
Seems like some bridges over those fish bearing streams on the moto trails are in order. Problem of moto's crossing water solved. User group gets to keep their trails.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:16 pm 
^ Bridges cost a whole lot of money, probably more to install three bridges than they've got budgeted. Washington State DNR Commissioner prior to Hilary Franz was Peter Goldmark. Environmental community had a favorable view of the guy, if my understanding was correct. Prior to Goldmark DNR Commissioner was Doug Sutherland. Environmental community did not give him rosy reviews.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 pm 
Thanks. Never could remember Goldmark's name. I have met him at a few events, but can't get Commissioner Gordon out of my mind. I think that was a Batman character. So far as I know Goldmark wasn't a bad Commissioner for the environment. Except for that murrelet issue down south. And you are right about bridges. One very small tiny minute one would probably cost 50,000, and that's a conservative number. Studies, an overbuilt design, and whatnot. Don't forget to include the overbuild and whatnot. A rogue bridge that works but draws attention is worse than doing nothing.