Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Who gets to use the Teanaway Valley?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tod701

tod701
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 8:00 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
you can bet motorized communites were included in the process.
Actually not true. There was one motorized use representative on the committee and his input was ignored.

Tod
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 11:38 am 
confused.gif hmm.... Sounds like there was at least this one guy.No one else stepped up? The coalition was begging for committee applicants. The report says new motorized trails were considered, but decided against pursuing ( for reasons cited earlier in this thread). No snowmobile reps ?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 12:49 pm 
Wouldn't be the first time I've seen no representation from a user constituency during the initial planning phases of a project, only to have individual members of that same user constituency cry "foul" later when they didn't get their piece of the pie. Unless I've been misinformed, that area historically saw significant use by motorized recreationists. Why weren't they at the table from the outset?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 1:19 pm 
The history of the Advisory Committee meetings is enumerated here: https://www.dnr.wa.gov/managed-lands/forest-and-trust-lands/teanaway/teanaway-community-forest-advisory-committee/teanaway Many of the meetings have a "Public Comments" link to a PDF with a summary of comments made. I spot checked a couple of meeting notes -- A number of comments called for a complete ban of ORV usage in the entire Teanaway Community Forest. As well as comments from ORV users wanting no changes to current usage. I think the current plan is a classic committee produced plan than nobody is completely happy about.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 3:43 pm 
Thanks Randy. I was looking for something like this link the other day but got distracted and didn't get back to it. I can't imagine a plan everyone would be happy about. Not sure it exists. (this isn't limited to recreation plans)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 4:57 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I can't imagine a plan everyone would be happy about. Not sure it exists. (this isn't limited to recreation plans)
After reading through pages and pages of comments at the link Randy posted just above, I am doubtful that anybody is going to be completely satisfied with any kind of plan they come up with. It appears there are (or have been) issues I was not even aware of: free-roaming cattle in the streambeds, willful destruction of trees with firearms, dumping of abandoned/stolen vehicles and dead animals, late-night drinking parties, garbage dumping, ad nauseam. These are the same issues that caused Weyerhauser and other large timber land owners to put locked gates up to keep the public out.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 5:29 pm 
Ski wrote:
These are the same issues that caused Weyerhauser and other large timber land owners to put locked gates up to keep the public out.
Indeed -- I wonder if those hassles were a factor in the decision of the private land owner (American Forest Land Co) to sell the land that makes much of the community forest. I think that controlling public access to the more open eastside forest is more difficult than putting up burly gates on a few access roads.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 5:43 pm 
From the descriptions of the damage being done by some of the commenters, it would be easy to understand why a private land owner would want to get rid of it. I didn't read through all of the comments. I started with the oldest and worked my way up the list. From what I was able to figure out, it sounds as though there are a few private property owners who are surrounded by the Teanaway Community Forest, and there are roads and trails within the TCF that connect to roads and trails on other public (USFS) lands. Candidly, it looks a bit more "can of worm-ish" than I would have originally thought. There were a lot of comments in support of motorcycle and ORV (and "OHV") use, but I only saw a few comments (again, from just the early comments) supporting snowmobile use. The "cows in the river" thing disturbs me. I have personal experience with that issue. Cows have no place in streams - ever.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 am 
Ski wrote:
The "cows in the river" thing disturbs me. I have personal experience with that issue. Cows have no place in streams - ever.
Paddle the Cowlitz just downstream from Randle. Probably upstream too. I was surprised to see the dairy cows were not fenced out. Then, the farmers spread the manure out in the fields that have runoff into the river. Meanwhile, all the little projects and restrictions are going on in the upper watersheds. Kind of a waste--pun intended.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
tod701

tod701
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 6:54 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
confused.gif hmm.... Sounds like there was at least this one guy.No one else stepped up? The coalition was begging for committee applicants. The report says new motorized trails were considered, but decided against pursuing ( for reasons cited earlier in this thread). No snowmobile reps ?
It was a struggle to get one seat at the table. The mindset was motorized trail use was not technically allowed by the previous owner so no need for them to be represented on the committee. The Northwest Motorcycle Association had to raise a stink to get just one person on the committee. Sadly enough, after a few years Mike Reimer figured out that his input was not being seriously considered and he resigned. Additionally the hostility towards motorized recreation presented by some of the other committee members made the process rather toxic at best. The overall feeling was that the outcome was predetermined so anything contrary to that was an annoyance at best.

Tod
tod701

tod701
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 6:59 am 
Ski wrote:
It appears there are (or have been) issues I was not even aware of: free-roaming cattle in the streambeds, willful destruction of trees with firearms, dumping of abandoned/stolen vehicles and dead animals, late-night drinking parties, garbage dumping, ad nauseum. These are the same issues that caused Weyerhauser and other large timber land owners to put locked gates up to keep the public out.
Add current landowner liability laws to the list. On the other hand, banning legal access emboldens criminal activities due to the lack of law abiding eyeballs (and phones/camera) on the landscape.

Tod
tod701

tod701
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 7:02 am 
Ski wrote:
Unless I've been misinformed, that area historically saw significant use by motorized recreationists. Why weren't they at the table from the outset?
Good luck with getting an honest official answer, but I can provide an educated guess.

Tod
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 8:38 am 
Reading through the plan and the notes, I'm not understanding what areas and trails previously open to ORV usage are being closed to ORV usage. It would useful if ORV riders familiar with area could weigh in on which trails and areas are now restricted.

Chico

Chico
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 am 
tod701 wrote:
Ski wrote:
Unless I've been misinformed, that area historically saw significant use by motorized recreationists. Why weren't they at the table from the outset?
Good luck with getting an honest official answer, but I can provide an educated guess.
All previous land owners did NOT allow motorized use. (but it happened as it was difficult to prevent it.)

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 6:58 am 
Yes, I realize how "expensive" bridges are. Our crew just put one in on the PCT. It was funded by a private donor - at least the NEPA and engineering work was. Nearly everything else was volunteer. 25k for a 40', 5 stringer, decked bridge with gabion footings. If the fish are so important, finding 75-150k is entirely possible (the new PCT bridge cost 3x or Kim's number, 3x). Put ones money where their mouth is, or quit griping about the moto trail crossing the creek. In the realm of Government, a trail bridge is a drop in the bucket. Its barely a rounding error in budget totals. 285.55 million was their spending in 2017. Add those bridges and it would be 285.70. Most people would call it 286 million budget, either way.