Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cutthroat Lake – Pass and Snowy Lakes Oct 10th – 13th 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Perry

Perry
PostTue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 pm 
On Wednesday 10/10/18 I started on a 4-day trip with my pack goats: Adam, Grant and Albert. My goal was to go to Snowy Lakes starting from the Cutthroat Lake trailhead. The goats were carrying about 25# each.
Cutthroat Lake
Cutthroat Lake
heading up from Cutthroat Lake
Due to a variety of reasons we did not get on the trail until 2 pm Wednesday. The trail is good, so we went past Cutthroat lake and to the bench about half way up to Cutthroat pass. It’s about 2 miles from the TH to Cutthroat Lake. There are two side trails to the lake. The first crosses the outlet stream about ¼ mile before the lake. It provides access to the shore on the east side of the outlet stream. There is a second side path where the trail to the pass switchbacks north. From the lake its 2.1 miles up to the bench. From the bench camp area, there is a path that leads west and down to a small stream. It’s about a 10-minute walk. Thursday, we headed up toward Cutthroat Pass. About ½ mile before the pass, I headed up through the open heather meadows to connect to the PCT going north.
Adam, Grant and Albert
Adam, Grant and Albert
Adam, Grant and Albert
Adam, Grant and Albert
Adam, Grant and Albert
Adam, Grant and Albert
We got to the PCT and headed north. We rounded a ridge, and the trail was now covered with 2-3 inches of snow. There was snow on the trail in places on the switchbacks down toward Granit Pass. It took a little care but was not icy.
Around a ridge...snow
Around a ridge...snow
along the PCT
along the PCT
going down the switchback toward Granite Pass
going down the switchback toward Granite Pass
We continued along the PCT, then up the side trail to Snowy Lakes. I found a spot to camp above the upper lake to the north.
Lower Snowy Lake with a skin of ice
Lower Snowy Lake with a skin of ice
the boys exploring the rocks at Lower Snowy Lake
the boys exploring the rocks at Lower Snowy Lake
Lower Snowy Lake
Lower Snowy Lake
Lower Snowy Lake
Lower Snowy Lake
Lower Snowy Lake
Lower Snowy Lake
Upper Snowy Lake
Upper Snowy Lake
Upper Snowy Lake
Upper Snowy Lake
Upper Snowy Lake
Upper Snowy Lake
Adam relaxing in camp
Adam relaxing in camp
It was cold (water bottles mostly frozen) but beautiful Friday morning.
morning light
morning light
Upper Snowy Lake in the morning
Friday, we went down to Upper Snowy Lake and headed west, going down over Snowy Lakes Pass. I just looked for the easiest way down. I went down draws, staying to the right. About 400 feet lower, the slope eased into a small basin with a small tarn. A nice area of meadows and larch.
basin north of Snowy Lakes Pass
There is a small ridge south of the tarn. I went through open meadows up a little around the back (east) side of the little ridge…through a series of flat meadows. I came across a couple of old campfire rings complete with cut log benches. Perhaps, from earlier sheep herding days? As I headed further SW I came to a rock slide with large boulders. At first, I tried going up, because it looked less steep a little higher up. When I got to the rock slide I could look down and see that the slide ended a couple hundred feet below and that it would be easier to go down and around. As I got back down, I came across an old trail which connected back to the PCT at a switchback north of Methow Pass. From where I found the old trail, it was a few short switchbacks down to a switchback on the PCT. The closest of the meadow areas are actually pretty close to the PCT. If approaching from Methow Pass on the PCT; the PCT heads north about ½ mile, then at the first switchback is where the old unmarked trail heads uphill to the NE. It was a fun little exploration!
Mt Hardy from PCT
Mt Hardy from PCT
Methow Pass is fairly broad with a mix of meadow and larch. Plenty of flat spots for a dry camp. From Methow Pass we headed back toward Cutthroat Pass on the PCT.
looking south from Methow Pass
looking south from Methow Pass
I stopped at Granite Pass and headed east a short bit on the side trail. There are a number of nice camp sites at Granite Pass. No water that I saw. I was thinking about heading further into the Pine Creek valley, but the area where I had previously seen larch from above looked like it was mostly in shadow, because it’s a north facing basin. I found a reasonably flat spot to camp below the PCT about ½ mile before Cutthroat pass.
last nights camp near PCT
We hiked out Saturday morning. Saturday hiking out, we passed lots of people hiking in; many day hikers, and many planning to camp...more, good, people & dog encounter experience for the goats.
the guys found some good grass along the trail
the guys found some good grass along the trail
I saw a lot of beautiful country and golden larch, yet particularly later in the hike it was becoming evident that some of the larch ware losing their needles and past their prime. Still, a great hike. I got Adam, Grant and Albert last fall, so this is my first year of packing with them. Although there continue to be new situations, it seems like things overall are going more smoothly with each hike that I do with the new crew.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hbb

hbb
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 2:25 pm 
Do pack goats require much guidance on where to go? Or will they just generally follow along picking out the path that suits them best? Also, what's likely to happen if they run into a wild goat? Sorry for all the questions, I've always been curious about them, and have somehow never managed to run into any goat owners out on the trail.

Perry

Perry
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 9:24 pm 
Every goat is different. But generally they follow the leader...whoever goes first. Once they are bonded to you as leader, they just follow you. That mostly just takes spending time with them, and time on the trail. I've had Adam, Grant and Albert for a little over a year. They are quite good at consistently following me now. However, it was not that way the first time out. Mountain goats are curious about domestic goats. When I've encountered mountain goats, my guys just look at them. Once, at least, I've had to discourage mountain goats from coming into camp.

kite

kite
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 9:32 pm 
Most excellent trip, love the images

hbb

hbb
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 am 
Thanks for the goat info, Perry. Sounds like a neat way to get out for a few nights.

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:25 am 
Nice pictures! Zooming in on the goats' faces, I get the impression they are very happy to be out there and experiencing the terrain.

Happy Trail Dog

Happy Trail Dog
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:30 am 
Where's The Angry Hiker when you need him? Call the trail police! Off-leash goats!

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 11:46 am 
Excellent! My question is how do the goats react to dogs on a trail, and vice versa? Also, are they "pack goats", meaning do they carry some of your stuff? I am guessing ' yes' looking at their panniers.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Perry

Perry
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm 
The goats are nervous/ cautious about any dog they meet on the trail. Dogs vary a lot in their response to the goats. Some are calm, quite and responsive to their owners. Others are barking like mad and pulling hard on their leads...wanting to chase the goats. Yes, they are 'pack goats';they carry all my stuff. I can go out for a week or 10 days with a 6# pack (camera, GPS, etc.) and be very comfortable. The goats carry everything for me. I've got problems with back pain, so could not do overnights or longer trips without them.

Gil

Gil
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 8:07 pm 
Looks like a great trip!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:42 pm 
Thanks, Perry. Very interesting and informative!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 12:03 am 
Sweet trip Perry! The larches were awesome, ive never been up there! The lakes were beautiful too! Thats pretty cool to have some goats join in on the journey too, i bet they love that sh##!! Cheers and travel safe! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 4:55 pm 
Very cool. Ever encountered black bears or other potential "predators" (beside dogs) with the goats?

Perry

Perry
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 6:57 pm 
We've encountered black bears. The one tine I can recall, they saw us, and headed the other direction. Black bears are mostly a problem when they come into camp at night looking for the food people have with them. I've never had a close encounter with a cougar that I know of.

Felpudo

Felpudo
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 8:00 pm 
That's really neat! Thanks for sharing.