Forum Index > Trip Reports > ONP 8/9-8/15/18 (Enchanted Valley-Anderson Pass-Lake LaCrosse plus Third Beach O/N)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 3:06 pm 
Enchanted Valley Chalet
Enchanted Valley Chalet
La Crosse basin waterfall
Lake La Crosse
Lake La Crosse
smokey sunrise
smokey sunrise
Mt. Steel through clouds
Mt. Steel through clouds
Mossy maple and Quinalt River
Seagulls on Third Beach
Seagulls on Third Beach
Trail to Third Beach
Trail to Third Beach
As is usual for me, this report falls into the (hopefully) "better late than never" category of trip reports. It's about a backpacking trip made by three "veteran" (i.e., over 60) flatlanders from Ohio. The plan was for 6 days in Glacier Peak Wilderness, the same trip we wanted to do in 2016 but had to change at the last minute due the Buck Creek fire. Once again, at last minute we changed our plan again due to fires and smoke adjacent to and in GPW, this time deciding to do the ONP-Lake LaCrosse loop (sort of) as Plan B. Travel day (8/8) - fly to Seattle; rent car; stop at REI for stove fuel; drive to motel in Tumwater. Day one (8/9) - drive to Quinalt River Ranger station; get permits; hike to Pyrites Creek camp, which is about 9 miles. Very nice camping area, and we had the entire area to ourselves, except for a group we later saw camped on a gravel bar by the river. We learned on the way out that our solitude at Pyrites this night may have been unusual.
Start
Start
Day two (8/10). Continue on Quinalt River trail to and through a smokey Enchanted Valley, then up to Anderson Pass, and then over to Camp Siberia, where we spent night two on the trail. Saw a few others on the trail and at the Pass. In the late afternoon, we day-hiked back to the Pass and then took up the way trail to the Mt. Anderson glacier viewpoint. Saw a bear near Anderson Pass.
posing in front of fallen tree
posing in front of fallen tree
Quinalt River Trail
Quinalt River Trail
Entering Enchanted Valley
Entering Enchanted Valley
Enchanted Valley Chalet (ONP)
Enchanted Valley Chalet (ONP)
Anderson Pass
Anderson Pass
Anderson Pass
Anderson Pass
Black Bear near Anderson Pass
Black Bear near Anderson Pass
Mt. Anderson from way trail
Mt. Anderson from way trail
Mt. Duckabush (?) from way trail
Mt. Duckabush (?) from way trail
Mt. Steel (?) from way trail
Mt. Steel (?) from way trail
Day 3 (8/11) - Backtracked over and down from Anderson Pass to the O'Neil Pass trail cut-off. By the time we started up the O'Neil Pass trail, the temperature had dropped considerably, and it was raining. It rained all the way to Marmot Lake, where we set up camp in the rain and fog. The rain made it a very early evening for bed (and reading in my tent). The only other people we saw the entire day after getting on the O'Neil Pass trail was a group of three day hikers who were intending to hike from Enchanted Valley to Anderson Pass but got on the wrong trail. Day 4 (8/12) - Foggy but no rain. Per the plan, we spent this day just day hiking to Hart Lake and Lake La Crosse. Truly a beautiful area, and I had extra time to photograph the wildflowers in the fog. I was hoping it would clear at sunset, but no such luck. We saw no other people the entire day up in the La Crosse basin area. Another group did camp that night at Marmot Lake, however.
Foggy Marmot Lakes camp (morning day three)
Foggy Marmot Lakes camp (morning day three)
Drying out
Drying out
Looking down at Marmot Lakes from trail to Hart Lake
Looking down at Marmot Lakes from trail to Hart Lake
La Crosse basin
La Crosse basin
La Crosse plateau wildflowers
La Crosse plateau
La Crosse plateau
wildflowers and fog near Lake La Crosse
wildflowers and fog near Lake LaCrosse
wildflowers and fog near Lake LaCrosse
wildflowers and fog in LaCrosse basin
wildflowers and fog in LaCrosse basin
wildflowers and fog in La Crosse basin
wildflowers and fog in La Crosse basin
Lake La Crosse Wildflowers (ONP)
Lake La Crosse Wildflowers (ONP)
Looking Across Lake La Crosse (ONP)
Looking Across Lake La Crosse (ONP)
wildflowers in fog near Lake La Crosse
wildflowers in fog near Lake La Crosse
Lake La Crosse
Lake La Crosse
Mt. Steel reflected in tarn
Mt. Steel reflected in tarn
Lake La Crosse
Lake La Crosse
obscured reflection
obscured reflection
Day 5 (8/13). The fog lifted during the night, and the morning turned sunny. However, it was quite smokey to the east due to the Maple fire in the Southeast Olympics. Still, the smoke defused and colored the light, making for nice sunrise photos right from Marmot camp. After breakfast, we packed up and backtracked up to O'Neil Pass, and then back over the O'Neil Pass trail back to the jct. with the Anderson Pass trail. We then headed back down through (still smokey) Enchanted Valley. We made it back to Pyrites Creek camp, only to find many more people camped there than on the way in. In fact, every site or potential site was occupied, so we ended up going down and camping on the same gravel bar where we had seen the group on our way in.
An Olympic Sunrise
An Olympic Sunrise
smokey sunrise
smokey sunrise
smokey sunrise
smokey sunrise
sunny morning day 4 at Marmot lakes
sunny morning day 4 at Marmot lakes
Smokey Duckabush River valley
Smokey Duckabush River valley
Obligatory pose at gorgeous O'Neil Pass
Obligatory pose at gorgeous O'Neil Pass
Day 6 (8/14) - Pyrites Creek camp to the car.
Fire Creek footbridge
Fire Creek footbridge
Quinalt River
Quinalt River
Quinalt River
Quinalt River
We still had a day left, so we drove up to Forks, rented a bear vault at Ace True Value, then hiked to Third Beach for the night. Day 7 (8/15) Just took it easy at Third Beach. It was very foggy (see photos). Then we hiked out in the fog, and then drove over to Rialto Beach just to see it as well.
Seagulls on Third Beach
Seagulls on Third Beach
Seagulls
Seagulls
Hikers in fog on Third Beach
Hikers in fog on Third Beach
Driftwood
Driftwood
Logs and fog
Logs and fog
more posing
more posing
more gulls
more gulls
Third Beach and waterfall
Third Beach and waterfall
tide pool life
tide pool life
starfish
starfish
a bit wet
a bit wet
relaxing
relaxing
leaving Third Beach
leaving Third Beach
On the trail from Third Beach
On the trail from Third Beach
Third Beach trail and trees
Third Beach trail and trees
foggy forest
foggy forest
trail
trail
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
After leaving Rialto beach, we drove back to Forks, found some much needed public showers, and then drove to Seattle to catch our red-eye flight back to Ohio. All in all, it was a great trip, especially for a last minute "Plan B." The main Enchanted Valley - Anderson Pass - Lake LaCrosse backpack was about 60 miles total, which included day hiking on day four. Although I have been to the Olympics before, my brother and friend had not, and the Olympic peninsula is truly a remarkable place with incredible diversity. I highly recommend camping at Marmot Lake and day hiking to Lake La Crosse. Thank you for reading this report and viewing the photos.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 5:08 pm 
Jaw dropping photography, and a heck of a consolation prize! "Better late than never" Ummmm, yeah. Some things are worth waiting for. This is one of them. Looks like a great trip. I really need to get up that one way one of these days. I got to at least see the area from Mount Steel earlier this year, now I need to go there! Thanks for the motivation! up.gif up.gif up.gif Edit - Going through the photos again... man you got some skill! I bet you had fun going through those after the trip. I know I would have! One of my favorite trip reports of the year. Thank you so much for sharing!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 5:20 pm 
cool. up.gif sorry about the smoke. it wasn't our fault. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
HumpnoocheeGirl

HumpnoocheeGirl
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 11:23 pm 
I believe your photo “Mt Duckabush from way trail” is LaCrosse. And “Mt Steel from way trail” is White Mountain. I could be wrong smile.gif

lanzscape

lanzscape
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 5:47 am 
Awisondc, thank you for you very kind comments. Much appreciated. Ski, I don't know. Some NWH's want to keep Washington's amazing scenery all to themselves, and this is the second time fires have almost caused us to cancel our trip! Just sayin. wink.gif HumpnoocheeGirl, I believe you are correct. Thank you.

gb

gb
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 6:26 am 
Lot's of nice images; you have a good eye for composition. I especially liked the wildflower in fog images from Lake LaCrosse. I'm glad you were able to "bend with the flow" and have a very nice trip in what was in latter July and August trying conditions from a smoke standpoint.

RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 8:41 am 
Nice TR and pics! up.gif up.gif I was in the Anderson region just 3 weeks before you.
Anderson_cirque
Anderson_cirque
It's amazing to see how quickly the snow disappears. Wonder what it looked like October 1.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 pm 
beautiful ... I love my Olympics especially when out of staters visit and take awesome photos up.gif the fog and smokey haze really adds a bit of mystery. there are enough photos of 'perfect conditions', but no mystery biggrin.gif congratulations on your black bear sighting! the olympic bears are pretty friendly tongue.gif anyway, I'm happy you came back and brought your brother and friend!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss