Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ida Lake via upper Big Jim; Sept 26-29th, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue Oct 30, 2018 8:44 pm 
Finally, after more than 10 years, there she was, all mine. Ida looked particularly beautiful after a two day approach via upper Big Jim Lake; it was love at first sight wub.gif
Love at first sight
Love at first sight
Gold & granite
Gold & granite
There were always barriers to this late season trip, usually not a large enough weather window for a several night trip, and then there was the Hatchery Creek fire… What a mess.
Miles of burned forest
Miles of burned forest
Carbon forest
Carbon forest
So there I was at the TH at 8:30 in the morning looking up at the jumble I had long avoided, nothing but charred spars from river bottom to ridgetop and beyond.
Beautiful burn
Beautiful burn
Underneath, the fireweed had seeded and blushed its way into autumn. I hiked it for hours, seed fuzz horizontal on a placid breeze like weightless snow. A couple of trees fell in close proximity during the climb; that kept me on edge paranoid.gif
Blooms twice
Blooms twice
Dreamy light
Dreamy light
Regardless, a haiku worked itself into my mind with each step upward:
Code:
Flower gone to seed Now just fuzz and crimson leaves Fireweed blossoms twice
Fireweed
Fireweed
At the first junction we transitioned to trail #1576, where the Badlands were made badder by fire- miles of charcoal forest. When it came time to diverge from an increasingly invisible tread, I riffed my way along the ridge toward Big Jim Mtn Lake. After a half mile a stock trail coalesced from the ashes and dust pointing me in the right direction. After 4 hours of hiking the burn I was in verdant forest again.
Badlands indeed
Badlands indeed
Not long after dog and I arrived at Upper Big Jim rimmed by thick meadows and larches in early color. I gratefully dropped the pack in a sunny patch and laid with face partially buried in the golden fragrant grass. It was a moment of stillness, relief, and bliss, listening to Clark’s Nutcrackers, Flickers, and Nuthatches redface.gif Stats: 4300’ climb, 700 descent, about 8 miles.
Upper Big Jim Lake
Upper Big Jim Lake
Upper Big Jim meadow camp
Upper Big Jim meadow camp
My initial plan was to spend two nights here taking photos and resting for another off-trail day to Ida. But the subprime color and my impatient mind began contemplating furthering the load to Ida where larches were likely to be more golden. That night’s 10 hour rest on a cush meadow mattress was restorative and I was soon off on a 1000’ climb from lake to Big Jim ridgeline.
From Jim to Lou
From Jim to Lou
Ridgeline rambles
Ridgeline rambles
Being solo, I climbed up through scree and talus carefully, after all, I’m not 53 anymore clown.gif It was straightforward, lovely, and punctuated by larches bursting like brilliant bottle brushes from the granite.
The gold that I seek
The gold that I seek
Northern volcanoes
Northern volcanoes
By contrast the ridgeline was a wide open ramble to my appointment with the Lake Augusta trail. From there I dropped to Carter Lake where I gratefully picked up another boot path heading straight up to The Gateway to Ida. The path artfully wended its way through granite over a low pass on the ridge. From there Ida sparkled her promise not far below in a high open cirque. Stats: 2200’ climb, 1760’ descent, about 6 miles.
Love at first sight
Love at first sight
Ida lakeside trail
Ida lakeside trail
Ida evening
Ida evening
I celebrated arrival with a bracing plunge in indigo waters. The weather remained warm and still, making for some good reflection shots. A waning moon illuminated the nights and hung in the morning sky like a forgotten light bulb in an attic.
Waning moon
Waning moon
Ida tranquility
Ida tranquility
Ida gold
Ida gold
Ida looked out over the dramatic Icicle Creek drainage and across to Cashmere & Stuart. Blueberry leaves were like fallen ruddy teardrops. The larches were radiant but not quite prime.
Icicle Creek Valley
Icicle Creek Valley
Blueberry & granite
Blueberry & granite
Autumn show
Autumn show
Ruddy lanterns
Ruddy lanterns
I spent my layover day climbing Big Lou and scoping out a Grand Shortcut on the ridge for the next day’s exit.
Across the valley
Across the valley
Cashmere, Stuart, and Tahoma
Cashmere, Stuart, and Tahoma
From Big Lou to Big Jim
From Big Lou to Big Jim
Toward Cashmere and Stuart
Toward Cashmere and Stuart
I had planned this to be a 5 night trip but decided to shorten it when the altimeter climbed 240 feet on the 4th day. The next weather system seemed to be edging in sooner. Instead of descending back to Carter I was going to head directly over the ridge to Lake Augusta and the Icicle Ridge trail where I would reconnect with Hatchery Creek.
Augusta gold
Augusta gold
The final day dawned brightly as I packed for an uncertain journey, but once down the north slope of Big Lou, the ridgeline dots connected beautifully cool.gif
My Grand Shortcut
My Grand Shortcut
Lake Augusta
Lake Augusta
It was a grand and victorious exit in sunshine and warmth. The prevailing thought, as I coasted the outbound miles, was that Ida was worth waiting for. Stats for day: 10.5 miles, 1600’ gain, 5400’ descent.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Oct 30, 2018 9:30 pm 
You timed it perfectly. Fond memories of Ida. I love it there Thanks for sharing
Quote:
Ida evening
Ida evening
Waning moon
Waning moon
Ida tranquility
Ida tranquility
Ida gold
Ida gold
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 2:11 pm 
A treat to read, as always. How old is your pup these days?

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:25 am 
Thanks Boot. You know these places. 14410 Glad you enjoyed the read; that's the part that takes the longest in any report.
Quote:
How old is your pup these days?
Bodhran is a strong 11.5 years. I was encouraged because we took some long and strenuous trips this year. He was sturdy and happy on every journey smile.gif Thanks for your feedback everyone.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
NorDub

NorDub
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 9:01 am 
Stunning pictures. Looks like an awesome trip, and some fun off-trail adventures as well. That's an area I've been itching to get to for the past couple of seasons, and I haven't made it happen yet. I did have a question about the camp site selection on Upper Big Jim. I'd like to preface: This is not meant to be confrontational at all, just trying to learn. And if this isn't the right forum (maybe Trail Talk?) I'd be happy to post it there. In a few recent TR, I've seen tents / cowboy setups right on top of vegetation. I frequently read and hear about only camping in spots that are "designated" for lack of a better word. This limits wear and tear to a few select spots, and keeps the rest of the area more pristine. This is especially important in high-traffic areas. However, as I'm assuming is the case here, there probably aren't a lot of well-used spots at Upper Big Jim. Given so few visitors, and dispersed camping strategies, there may be little to no long term impact to the meadows surrounding the lake (or in similar off-trail destinations). So when is it okay to camp right on vegetation/meadow? Or do you avoid "used" looking spots in remote areas, to give those spots a chance to re-grow? Have I been thinking about this wrong?
Quote:

Perry

Perry
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 9:29 pm 
I also, have fond memories of Ida. How was the trail from Lake Augusta back to the TH?

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 7:43 am 
Thanks NorDub. It was nice and lonesome.
Quote:
So when is it okay to camp right on vegetation/meadow? Or do you avoid "used" looking spots in remote areas, to give those spots a chance to re-grow? Have I been thinking about this wrong?
Sure, LNT practices to reduce visitation impacts. Big Jim lakes are not anything like Rachel Lakes etc. When you visit Upper Jim be sure to get a picture of that "used" spot clown.gif

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 7:48 am 
Perry, the trail was clear and brush free. Nice tread up high most of the time too. TH access may be blocked by fresh deadfall across road though. I had to use an axe to drive out and I've seen reports of others encountering blocking trees.