Forum Index > Trail Talk > Latest Fatalities in Yosemite
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 12:27 pm 
Nope. Not my problem. I have no progeny, and all of what's left for me is "bonus time" and I'm going to enjoy it. Not. My. Problem.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 12:36 pm 
Are you a troll? How many hiking related posts here?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:43 pm 
Some people just show up here to debate rather than talk hiking. 99% participation in stewardship and contentious topics doesn't inspire confidence.

neek

neek
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 3:23 pm 
catsp wrote:
I think my posts have for the most part been relatively thoughtful, measured and even tempered.
I agree, and appreciate your nuanced and thoughtful approach. The topic at hand may seem silly but in my opinion is completely relevant to hiking since it's only a matter of time before one of us dies from a low risk/high consequence activity. How will the community respond? Selfie tragedy has, however, been discussed here to death (no pun intended), with nothing good ever resulting. It would be great to have an enlightened discussion on deep subjects like free will, death, philosophical differences between generations, risk management in the mountains, how to constructively adapt to the reality of social media--but this probably isn't the place for it since most here (including me) lack any sort of intellectual credentials.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 4:21 pm 
Yes, nuanced and thoughtful approach is commendable, but I'd like to see folks contribute more to this forum than just debate. Plenty of topics to discuss. Rather than debate endlessly, say your peace and seek out threads to build community.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 4:27 pm 
Agreed, the Stewardship forum is the place,for breezy speculation (BS) and most users here reasonably avoid it like an active case of the clap. Nothing is really accomplished by calling others stupid or careless without suggesting reasonable ways to avoid accidents.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:08 pm 
neek wrote:
"... it's only a matter of time before one of us dies..."
Here's Billy's thoughtful and nuanced response:
Nobody gets out of here alive. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said "Thy fate is the common fate of all" For the most part, we can choose whether or not we die stupidly. Like neek, I appreciate the thoughtful responses. I just don't agree with them, and I don't feel guilty about being a bit rough around the edges.
neek wrote:
Selfie tragedy has, however, been discussed here to death (no pun intended), with nothing good ever resulting.
True, because not enough people are saying "That's really stupid and you could die or be seriously injured," and people keep on doing the same stupid stuff. It doesn't require any intellectual credentials to point out the obvious.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:13 pm 
I started this post, and must say, I have to apologize. I had no idea how much people like to argue, even when the topic isn't political or inherently controversial. It seems even stupidity can be controversial. I did appreciate the subsequent posts with relevant topical links - even a Wikipedia entry for "selfie deaths" - who knew? In the meantime, I'd searched the NWH archive b/c this thread reminded me of the uptick in fatalities at Big Four Ice Caves and the subsequent closure controversy. Was curious what the NWH members thought about that. I'd submitted input when the USFS solicited commentary on that problem and attended one of their focus groups held in Everett. One question I raised during the FG discussion was why the FS was so obsessed with doing "something" to improve safety near the ice caves, when there were dozens of deaths happening on FS and NPS land annually, against which the agencies could do little besides post warning signs (Yosemite, Grand Canyon & Yellowstone being perhaps the top 3). One of the FS people remarked that the ice caves present a unique condition of accessible danger to unsophisticated tourists that is normally only present in more inaccessible alpine environments where hikers/climbers who are more familiar with such terrain are knowingly taking calculated risks. I found that answer unsatisfying although I appreciated that it reflected real concerns about liability given this unusually accessible but apparently not universally obvious danger. Fortunately the resolution involved only improved signage and educational materials and not some of the dumber (and likely to be ineffective) ideas like fences and dynamite. Meanwhile, somewhere in Arizona (from my collection):
WARNING!
WARNING!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:34 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
"... the resolution involved only improved signage and educational materials..."
.... and did that keep people from venturing inside the ice caves? Regardless of warnings, people are going to make their own choices. As member "boot up" pointed out, they also need to accept responsibility for those choices. Unfortunately, in our litigious society, legal responsibility (and liability) falls on the landowner. In the case of the Ice Caves that's the USFS, instead of where it belongs: the people venturing into the Ice Caves. I would submit the same applies to people who fall off cliffs or are gored and tossed 30 feet by 2000-pound bison. Whether or not they are "unsophisticated" doesn't absolve them from responsibility for their own actions.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:30 pm 
Ski wrote:
.... and did that keep people from venturing inside the ice caves?
Heck no. I was up there for an evening stroll before the Perseid meteor shower and ran into the last couple heading back down the trail as I was nearing trail's end but still in the woods. I asked if the avy runout was small this year b/c of the prolonged heat wave, and the gal (who looked "damp"), commented that she'd gone inside the caves despite her BF telling her not to. I'm assuming it's back to biz as usual on those crowded summer weekends...a few go in, and the lemmings follow.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 11:29 pm 
There is something fundamentally wrong with talking about human life so callously. If it's ok to be happy that someone "stupid" takes themself out of the gene pool, where does that end? Maybe not you, but maybe someone else decides it's ok to make the world a better place by helping someone stupid or otherwise undesirable leave the gene pool? I don't want to go anywhere near the edge of that slippery slope. What about the harm to the parents, family, and friends of those who take themselves out of the gene pool? They suffer and are scarred. A calous response to their suffering from the world only makes the pain and suffering greater. There is such a disrepect for life in many places, and it wreaks such havoc, I shudder at the idea of not putting all human life on a pedestal. There's nothing wrong with respectfully discussing moral/philosophical topics especially those related to outdoor accidents. I appreciate that Ski shares his unvarnished views openly and honestly. It's thought provoking and in my view adds much to the conversations on this site. Despite what Ski said about having no sympathy for the stupid, I think he'd be the first to help out someone in need. Ski and I have something in common. My grandfather was also born in 1899 back in the old country. It was a good year!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 11:54 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
"...the first to help out someone in need..."
Yep... that's me: Mister Callous. With a capital C. Again, I am making no apologies. I've pulled two kids out of the Nisqually River. Both of them were pinned in log jams. The first one was a 12-year-old boy who almost drowned me. The second one was about the same age and things went a little more smoothly. I've experienced second-degree burns on major portions of my body (30% +) on two different occasions. Cut off my finger. Lost count of the cars I totaled. Survived being beaten and left for dead, and cancer. I don't have a problem with dying, but I would prefer not to die stupidly - something I mentioned above. We get one go-round here on this plane, and then we're off to the next adventure. I spent the first half of this one being really stupid, and it caused a lot of damage. I consider myself incredibly lucky to still be here. Obviously there is some higher power in the cosmos that believes I should still be breathing. Nothing else explains my continued existence. Let me address Anne Elk's observations about the Ice Caves: I apprenticed as a sign painter and graphic designer from 1968 to about 1974. I painted a lot of signs. Big signs, little signs. The lettering on the cinderblock building that used to be Temple Motors downtown was six feet tall. My takeaway from that experience? People don't read signs. They see them, but they don't read them or pay any attention to them. So I should feel sympathy for people who use poor judgment and engage in acts that result in disastrous consequences? Seriously? Not in this world.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 12:07 am 
Yes.

kvpair

kvpair
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 5:53 am 
Hate to wade into this (surprisingly) contentious topic. We've all made errors in judgement before and the fact that we are reading this means that we've lived to tell the tale. Ski does not ask for sympathy and is not willing to give it either. Fair enough. Others are, and that is good - "vive la difference". OTOH, if we were at the lookout and saw that woman standing so near the edge, I like to think that we'd have said something to her. It is just a willingness to engage others as fellow human beings - something that Nancy exemplified when she saved Katharina. I'm sure that Ski is a giving human being and would have engaged with that woman. No-one wants to see a preventable death.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 6:01 pm 
Tom wrote:
Yes.
ditto.gif
Ski wrote:
Obviously there is some higher power in the cosmos that believes I should still be breathing.
That's not obvious. Believing that some sort of mystical high power assigns a higher value to your life than the life of others requires a wild leap of faith and more than a bit of self-importance. It's akin to a sports team thanking a deity for helping them win a game.
Ski wrote:
Nothing else explains my continued existence.
Random luck is the more plausible explanation. Some people take all reasonable precautions, get unlucky and die as the result of an objective hazard. Some people take undue risks and get away with it.