Forum Index > Trip Reports > 4 more peaks, Spring Range Nevada - Nov 4, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 10:01 pm 
White Rock Hills Peak - 6462' I started this morning at the White Rock trailhead in Red Rock Canyon. I was hoping to combine White Rock Hills Peak with White Rock Spring Peak. These two are usually done separately. I ascended the canyon between the peaks which was brushy and unpleasant. There were some large boulders to maneuver.
White Rock Hills Peak
White Rock Hills Peak
Wilson, Rainbow, Bridge
Wilson, Rainbow, Bridge
Bridge
Bridge
brushy canyon
brushy canyon
I skipped the saddle and started traversing toward the peak as soon as it looked possible. This whole group is white sandstone with widespread cliff formations and fissures. I underestimated the difficulty and time it would require for both peaks. I should have brought more water.
White Rock Hills Peak
White Rock Hills Peak
summit is behind
summit is behind
rugged
rugged
The north ridge was slow going with a lot of detours to avoid cliffs, zigzagging on ledges, and class 3 moves but rarely sustained. There are numerous cairns along the route, presumably from the local 52 peak club. In any case, they always indicate the easiest way and that saved me a lot of time. I was surprised to make a long traverse along the east side, to finish on the southeast ridge.
peaks and canyons to the south
peaks and canyons to the south
summit boulder 20 feet high, class 3
summit boulder 20 feet high, class 3
Damsel and Turtlehead
Damsel and Turtlehead
looking back at the summit
looking back at the summit
White Rock Spring Peak - 6000' This peak looks formidable from the south. I traversed under the toe of a west ridge and then ended on the north slopes which were steep and loose. Spur of the moment, I decided to descend the long east ridge back to the car, hoping it would be better than the brushy canyon. It certainly was, and there was a boot path part of the way and fun boulder hopping at the end.
White Rock Spring Peak
White Rock Spring Peak
peak #1 seen from peak #2
peak #1 seen from peak #2
a view of both peaks together
a view of both peaks together
Turtlehead and Calico group
Turtlehead and Calico group
Peak 7313 "Pa's Rump" This peak is not officially named and somebody apparently doesn't like the nickname, because they blacked it out in the register. It's located between Las Vegas Valley and Pahrump Valley. The summit views are much better than anything I had hoped for.
false summit and summit above
false summit and summit above
a lesser peak to the southwest, viewed from the false summit
a lesser peak to the southwest, viewed from the false summit
Pa's Rump from false summit
Pa's Rump from false summit
From the north side, it's a tricky looking ordeal, but the Potosi Spring road makes for good south side access. There are a number of ways to do the peak starting from that side. I opted for a sort of direct southeast rib, which leads to a key bypass through cliffs. This might be the most direct route on the mountain, but it's necessary to pass over a substantial false summit.
Potosi
Potosi
Charleston group
Charleston group
Charleston group zoom
Charleston group zoom
Kingston on the left and Clark on the right
Kingston on the left and Clark on the right
Potosi Spring valley
Potosi Spring valley
Kingston zoom
Kingston zoom
Clark zoom
Clark zoom
Virgin Mountain background left, Muddy Mountains in shadow, Frenchman Mountain in sunlight, and Vegas Strip foreground
Virgin Mountain background left, Muddy Mountains in shadow, Frenchman Mountain in sunlight, and Vegas Strip foreground
Nopah Range shadowed and Telescope far distant
Nopah Range shadowed and Telescope far distant
Misty Mountain - 6457' There were two more peaks on my itinerary, but with the fading light, I knew there was only barely enough time for one more. If it wasn't for the recent daylight savings change, I would have had an extra hour to work with. I had been limited by the 6am opening of the gate at Red Rock. Just as I was beginning on the southeast side of the mountain, the sky turned pink above me. Sunset. Lovely!
Potosi sunset
Potosi sunset
With no moon, it got dark fast and I pulled out my headlamp. I always keep one battery removed because I have learned not to trust the lock off. The separate battery was nowhere to be found. frown.gif With 400 vertical remaining, I knew it was going to be close, so I tried to hurry. I found some great fossils, but it was too dark to see them very well.
flash
flash
Pa's Rump
Pa's Rump
I made it to top, quickly signed the register and then headed back down, careful about the loose rocks, cactus, and yucca spears. Just barely made it to the old road remnant before pitch-black darkness.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 10:19 pm 
Those panos!!! That sunset!!! stun.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif rocker.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message