Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Fork Mountain and extras (West Virginia, 11/4/'18)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 am 
North Fork Mountain and the last gasp of fall in West Virginia (Nov 4, 2018) Some pictures from North Fork Mountain, in West Virginia’s Monongahela National Forest, followed by a few from nearby Seneca Rocks and Spruce Knob Lake. North Fork Mountain The northern end of the spine of North Fork Mountain is full of great viewpoints, with none better than Chimney Top. I’ve never managed to make it to Chimney Top at sunrise, because the light always seems to be perfect when I gain the ridge crest and the first of the vistas (and well shy of Chimney Top). It was no different this time, even though I’d told myself to not get distracted. I’d hiked the first 40min in the dark, courtesy of my 5:30am start from the trailhead, and dawn was still about a half hour away when I reached the first viewpoint overlooking the Potomac River valley and New Creek Mountain. Fog blanked the valley and soft light had New Creek Mountain glowing red. There was no way I was going to miss out on this bit of magic.
2- Believe it or not, this is a selfie. I took this with a 10sec timer, and only just managed to get into position before the shot fired. Heart racing after my sprint, I then had to stand still for the 2-sec exposure required for the pre-dawn light.
2- Believe it or not, this is a selfie. I took this with a 10sec timer, and only just managed to get into position before the shot fired. Heart racing after my sprint, I then had to stand still for the 2-sec exposure required for the pre-dawn light.
I restarted the climb up to the magnificent spires of Chimney Top as dawn was breaking, and reached it about a half hour later. I had the place to myself. I messed around for quite a while, taking pictures, before the next other hiker arrived. Subconsciously, I had been awaiting this very eventuality because I’d had a picture in mind from even before starting the hike, based on earlier trips. Unfortunately, I could not take that on my own and needed help from someone else: the photo was going to be of me, posing on one of the spires, with the shooting location well away from it; too far for me to take using the camera’s remote shutter release or a timer.
4- (Selfie)
4- (Selfie)
8- Me, atop one of the spires at Chimney Top. I had this picture in mind from even before my hike up to Chimney Top, based on past trips. I needed someone else to take it for me though, since the spire I’m standing on was a 2-min scramble away from the spot the camera was sited. Thankfully, this other hiker showed up and agreed to take the picture. I set up the shot and mounted the camera on the tripod so that he would just have to push the shutter release button, and then raced over to my perch.
8- Me, atop one of the spires at Chimney Top. I had this picture in mind from even before my hike up to Chimney Top, based on past trips. I needed someone else to take it for me though, since the spire I’m standing on was a 2-min scramble away from the spot the camera was sited. Thankfully, this other hiker showed up and agreed to take the picture. I set up the shot and mounted the camera on the tripod so that he would just have to push the shutter release button, and then raced over to my perch.
15- This was a cool new perch I found, after working my way around one of the spires. I was able to wedge myself so that I was secure before I took this picture, because there was significant exposure to my right.
15- This was a cool new perch I found, after working my way around one of the spires. I was able to wedge myself so that I was secure before I took this picture, because there was significant exposure to my right.
After Chimney Top, I wandered along the ridge for another 0.75mi to a prominent perch visible from the Chimney Top vista, before retracing my steps to the car.
20- (Selfie)
20- (Selfie)
21- (Selfie)
21- (Selfie)
Seneca Rocks and Spruce Knob Lake I wasn’t really in the mood for much more hiking, but I did want to check out Spruce Knob Lake, which I hadn’t visited in a while. On the drive over I made a short stop at Seneca Rocks to take a quick photo of the amazing rocky fin.
22- Seneca Rocks
22- Seneca Rocks
23- Spruce Knob Lake
23- Spruce Knob Lake

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 8:06 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
North Fork Mountain: Above the fog
North Fork Mountain: Above the fog
stun.gif I can't say I'd ever want to move to West Virginia... in fact I can say with certainty that I never want to move there, but I'll be damned if you don't find the best spots over there! Those first two photos are incredible and really need to be viewed full screen to be appreciated. Very creative selfies. I always have fun on solo trips when I see a scene that would look good with a person in it, trying to figure out how I can set up my tripod and run over there in time. I'm fortunate enough to have 20s to work with though. 10s is the max my old camera had, and it's tough to get very far away in ten seconds, much less stand perfectly still like the above shot. Well done! up.gif up.gif up.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 8:16 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
A number of these are stunning. This one is a favorite. I think you have brought us here before one time. It has a familiar look. Beautiful work. And yes, I recommend viewing these Full Screen too. ~z

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm 
Thanks, guys. up.gif
zephyr wrote:
I think you have brought us here before one time. It has a familiar look.
A few times now. I love the sweeping views, and get drawn to them every year, especially when fall is unfurling its colorful tapestry.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
gb

gb
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 1:27 am 
Very nice set, Gali. You have such a great eye and access to terrific fall colors. #7 has amazing geometric structure and is my favorite, #11 is very nice artistically, and Seneca Rocks looks great too. The colors on the selfie (which is well composed) look a bit off to me, but then I've not viewed that scene. Round here, all is pretty bleak now. Lyall's larches lasted later than ever, Western larches seemed earlier, and Eastern Washington riparian near Yakima was early because of how dry it was. Seems to me west side Big leaf Maples went early, too. I seem to recall that some years they go to about mid-November, but that recollection may be inaccurate. It's interesting that East Coast fall colors are later than West Coast. I wonder exactly why?

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 5:29 am 
gb wrote:
The colors on the selfie (which is well composed) look a bit off to me, but then I've not viewed that scene.
Thanks for the feedback. I think it's my monitor: It shows things a bit too blue and I reduced that for the original postprocessing (I'd noticed it myself but left it as is). I've redone it, although I might have gone a bit too much in the other direction now... doh.gif
Quote:
It's interesting that East Coast fall colors are later than West Coast. I wonder exactly why?
We've had an unseasonably late fall; everything was 2-3weeks late. It was just too warm.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
Stunning shots. Are the wind turbines in the distance in this photo?

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 am 
Yup, wind turbines. West Virginia's got a bunch of them dotting the hillsides.