Forum Index > Trail Talk > Raised relief wall map of the Wonderland?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 4:51 pm 
Hey all! My 7 year old finished the Wonderland this year and I’m looking for a raised relief map to hang on his wall. Any ideas or resources? Also a poster of the trail profile would be fabulous too. Thanks in advance!

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bk

bk
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:15 pm 
American Educational Products (amep.com) has a raised relief Rainier national park map. Not practical for planning hikes but it's a good effect for the big-scale overview. - - - - - AMEP also sells raised relief USGS maps . . . it takes three sections to tile them from I-90 up to Canada, showing the Cascades: NL106 Yakima NL103 Wenatchee NM1012 Concrete All the USGS are the same scale, but different than the Rainier national park map. You can trim the USGS border on one edge, and they tile nicely. The Rainier national park is a standalone. The vertical exaggeration is scaled x2 to make the bumps stand out a little more. They all complement each other nicely. Shipping is costlier if purchased in single orders. There's a big break on shipping costs when two or more are ordered together.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:29 pm 
oh geez those are cool on my xmas list!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 7:59 pm 
Olympic NP is $26.99 - I want one!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 am 
bk wrote:
American Educational Products (amep.com) has a raised relief Rainier national park map.
Thank you!!!

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
hbb

hbb
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 2:40 pm 
Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:31 am 
Thank you hbb! Both of those are awesome!

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 am 
Very cool! I know what to ask Santa for... 🙂

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
vibramhead

vibramhead
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 pm 
I like the Summit Terragraphics raised relief maps because of their vivid colors. They don't have one specific to Mt Rainier, but they have a nice one that includes it, along with the Olympics and North Cascades: https://www.summitmaps.com/Products/Seattle-Pacific-Northwest-%E2%80%93-3D-Earth-Image-Map__0031.aspx

bk

bk
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 10:34 pm 
The Summit Terragrahics (ST) map looks very cool. Bigger (but pricier.) Some notes and prices, comparing "unframed" poster style versions of each (ST and AMEP): (Using my Seattle-area zip code for shipping calculations; assuming "unframed" version in all cases.) ST = Summit Terragraphics AMEP = American Educational Products (also stamped "Hubbard Scientific") • (1) ST map (PNW-focused, SKU 0031A): 1-inch = about 8 miles (20" x 30"), $43 (map) + $23 (shipping) = $66 (best detail, but excludes St. Helens & Adams)) • (2) ST map (full state of WA, SKU 0053A) is 1-inch = about 10 miles (40"x26"): $90 (map) + $62.51 (shipping) = $153. (biggest, includes St. Helens & Adams) • (3) AMEP map (WA state full map): 1-inch = about 20 miles. (18"x12", trimmed-off-white), $28 (map) + $9.88 (shipping) = $38. (least expensive) (Although the AMEP (WA state full map) advertises at 22"x17"... it's really more like only 18"x12" if the white trim is cut off . . . so, assuming the smaller size . . .) If you buy two posters at ST, do you get a break on shipping? A small one. ST, buying maps (1) and (2): SKU 0031A + SKU 0053A = $43 + $90 + $77 (shipping) = $211 (the two ST posters plus shipping.) The ST map, (SKU 0031A) (PNW-focused) has the best detail despite cutting of St. Helens and Adams. As an owner of the AMEP full-WA-state map . . . it is on the small side. My guess is the ST map (SKU 0031A), at almost double the cost of the AMEP WA state map, is more than twice as good as the AMEP map. Doing the pizza-square-inch-area calculations of each map: • AMEP = 18"x12" (ignoring white space) = 216 square inches. • ST (SKU 0031A, PNW-focused) = 20"x30" = 600 square inches. . . . so . . . ST (SKU 0031A) is three-times the square-inch area of the AMEP map . . . thus better than twice-as-good: Three-times as good. (despite no St. Helens or Adams)