Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Please Californicate Warshington This Time
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 5:41 pm 
Hawaii doesn't do "daylight savings time" either. Maybe the Hawaiians are smarter than mainlanders. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 6:49 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
I'd certainly consider and likely welcome permanent DST. But if the only option is permanent standard time, I'd much rather do the trivial (to me) 1 hour switch twice a year so I get more daylight in the afternoon / evening seven months a year.
ditto.gif In the spring and fall, DST means getting home from work and still being able to spend a little time outdoors. In mid-summer it means those long, wonderful evenings, an hour of which standard time would waste at 3 a.m. when only a minority of people are awake.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm 
The further south you go the less the seasonable change in day length. Therefore DST is inappropriate in the tropics.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 10:10 pm 
Quote:
Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket.
-- Anonymous PST/DST change never bothered me. First world problem. Now that I'm semi-retired, it's a nothingburger.

HappyHiker

HappyHiker
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 9:20 am 

If You're Lucky Enough To Be In The Mountains, You're Lucky Enough
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 12:07 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Unfortunately remaining on Daylight Time all year (as opposed to Standard Time all year which is legal) requires an act of Congress. It's illegal under Federal law. If a few more states would do this, maybe Congress would listen. Maybe.
If the states can de facto legalize marijuana, I'm pretty sure not messing with our clocks is politically feasible. smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 12:21 pm 
Timezones and DST are a fairly recent invention. A post transcontinental railroad invention. Prior to that every city/town set their clocks so that the sun was directly overhead at noon. When people traveled on horseback, foot and sailing ship the shift between various local times was inconsequential. With the railroad and the need to publish rail schedules without tedious calculations for each train stop's local time time zones were invented. The cost of illumination has dropped maybe 1000 fold since Ben Franklin conceived of daylight savings time as a way to cut back on candle and lantern usage. So the whole rational for DST is no longer really pertinent. https://www.treehugger.com/interior-design/how-cost-lighting-has-changed-over-time.html

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 12:50 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
The cost of illumination has dropped maybe 1000 fold since Ben Franklin conceived of daylight savings time as a way to cut back on candle and lantern usage. So the whole rational for DST is no longer really pertinent.
The rationale based on cost of illumination may no longer be pertinent. But while they may not be the impetus behind the origination of DST, I'd argue there are other rationale for having daylight hours centered a bit after 12 noon.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 1:16 pm 
Quote:
If the states can de facto legalize marijuana, I'm pretty sure not messing with our clocks is politically feasible.
Difference is that time regulation, which greatly affects interstate transportation, comes under the interstate commerce clause in the Constitution as a Federal function. We don't travel on foot and horse any more, but frequently cross the country in 4 hours by air. While I do like that extra hour in the evening, at this point, I don't care what we do as long as I don't have to change a bunch of clocks twice yearly! The hardest is my wrist watch, which I leave on daylight time and try to remember it's an hour fast for the 4 months we're on standard.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 1:24 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
I'd argue there are other rationale for having daylight hours centered a bit after 12 noon.
OK, but what's the rationale for shifting the centering during the winter?

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 2:07 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
During the winter, not much - here in the PNW 8 hours of daylight centered around noon works for me. As I said earlier, I've got no problem with the biannual 1 hour shift. But if the goal is to rid ourselves of the shift, I vote for permanent DST.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 8:47 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I believe the argument is that some folks find 9 a.m. a bit late for sunrise in the winter. Personally, I'd still rather have that hour of light in the late afternoon, but whatever. Changing a few clocks twice a year is no big deal, but if it really bugs people that much then let's just go with year-round DST.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostSun Nov 11, 2018 4:26 pm 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Nov 11, 2018 4:31 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
We can't see the sun for about five months a year, but it makes us feel better to know where it's hiding?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 21, 2018 9:17 am 
https://www.nwpb.org/2018/11/20/dread-the-dark-west-coast-lawmakers-say-its-time-to-stop-the-clock-fall-back-routine/

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities