Forum Index > Gear Talk > Dog owners with dog pack experience?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 pm 
My son has a trim Siberian husky that hikes and runs with him all the time. I would like to buy him a pack for his doggie. I just wondered if anyone would like to share their general knowledge on things they have learned about dog packs/packing. Any brands / models that have stood the test of time? Durable, etc,..? I'm interested in a model that would be suitable for an over night..The Ruffwear " approach" model looks like it could work. Anyone have experience with this one? Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 4:58 am 
Imo, ruff wear is the pattagucci of the dog world. style mixed with function, for the moderately active dog that wants to look good in town after. you do pay a premium since its rarely on sale. minus 20% at REI coming up. wink.gif i like the ruff wear packs, approach looks like a good size pack for day tripping. but then, huskies dont need to pack warm clothes, or as much food. can also take the high volume items in human pack, and smaller heavier nonessentials fo the k9. we use a ruff wear web master harness(near climber quality), and attach a larger offbrand pack on top(for overnight). I like the ability to remove the pack from the harness. this took some diy creativity. most ruff wear gear is pretty durable... or as much as it can be. I cant fault the manufacturer for my dog thrashing a few jackets... been seeing a lot of interesting 'tactical' k9 vests on line. kind of the same line of thought. a permanent vest, with removable add ons. might be better for a highly active dog who wants to run. I'd look into these a little. *big packs are harder to stabilize, flop around, twist, get your dog stuck between trees... etc.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 8:53 am 
up.gif

whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 12:18 pm 
My 50 lb mutt wore a medium Mountainsmith K9 pack when I went backpacking in the Pasayten Wilderness last summer. I think I bought the pack at REI. It worked fine loaded with up to 5lbs of dog kibble, and survived several high speed marmot chasing events without falling off. It is important to keep both sides evenly weighted, otherwise the pack will droop to one side. Sometimes I dropped a pebble or two into the pack to balance it. I've also used the REI Adventure Dog pack with a different dog. It worked fine, too. REI may not sell those any more.

yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 12:58 pm 
Ruffwear packs have worked very well for the whippets on multiple overnight trips (TML, Painted Traverse, Hinman/LaBohn). Packs removable from their Ruffler interior harnesses so very handy to not have to remove everything. Many pics of the whippets with their packs in these photo sets. https://www.flickr.com/photos/8246712@N03/sets/72157649973441258 https://www.flickr.com/photos/8246712@N03/sets/72157650371453792 https://www.flickr.com/photos/8246712@N03/albums/72157650376615311 https://www.flickr.com/photos/8246712@N03/sets/72157631441302644 https://www.flickr.com/photos/8246712@N03/sets/72157605935688468

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 8:31 pm 
Had to stop at the bottom of the rocks to wiggle toes on the way back.  Problem toes can be a problem.  The Used Dog soon moved into the shade.
Had to stop at the bottom of the rocks to wiggle toes on the way back. Problem toes can be a problem. The Used Dog soon moved into the shade.
The Used Dog is packed, lopsided, and ready for our non stealth work.
The Used Dog is packed, lopsided, and ready for our non stealth work.
I could never seem to get this pack to not be lopsided. It may have been The Used Dog. He had the loose hip walk of a dog with bad hips--and I never loaded it up much because of that. Dogs don't know they shouldn't go in the water, or that they might not fit through trees with a pack on. I bought it at the Packwood flea market at a stall that sold horse and dog gear. Just like a horse, when the "saddle" was removed, The Used Dog would roll around. The pack was simply constructed but it worked.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 8:40 pm 
pretty flashy chain/bar guard...mine is just cardboard.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 8:20 am 
flatsqwerl wrote:
pretty flashy chain/bar guard...mine is just cardboard.
It's multi purpose. It pads your shoulder while packing the saw and can be switched shoulder to shoulder and it is insulation to kneel on while filing chain, or if you need to pray because it is getting scary smile.gif or sit on.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 1:49 am 
We've probably gone through a dozen dog packs over the years. Dogs are tough on packs. Some of the packs haven't lasted long. We've always had labradors as hiking partners. The best pack we have found is made by a local company here in WA. fidogear.com Their packs are not cheap but they have lasted longer than any other dog pack we have used and I know I am supporting a company that is just down the road from me when I purchase from them.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 am 
up.gif