Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kanchenjunga North BC & Oktang, Kanchenjunga South BC, NEPAL October 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Nov 11, 2018 10:52 pm 
Oct 1: flight Seattle to Dubai Oct 2: arrive Dubai Oct 3: Dubai Oct 4: flight Dubai to Kathmandu Oct 5: Kathmandu Oct 6: Bhadrapur Airport - Jeep ride to Suketar Oct 7: Trek Suketar – Phurumbu Oct 8: Trek Phurmbu - Chirwa Oct 9: Trek Chirwa - Lelep Oct 10: Trek Lelep - Amjilosa Oct 11: Trek Amjilosa - Gyabla Oct 12: Trek Gyabla - Ghunsa Oct 13: Ghunsa– acclimatization day Oct 14: Trek – Ghunsa – Khangpachen Oct 15: Khangpachen – acclimatization day Oct 16: Trek Khangpachen – Lhonak Oct 17: Trek Lhonak – Kanchenjunga North Base Camp (Pang Pema) & back to Lhonak Oct 18: Trek Lhonak – Khangpachen Oct 19: Trek Khangpachen – Ghunsa Oct 20: Trek Ghunsa – Selele La(pass) base, 14000+ ft. Oct 21: Trek Selele La – Cherum via 3 passes over 14000+ ft. Oct 22: Trek Cherum – Ramchaur Oct 23: Trek Ramchaur – ***Oktang - Cherum ***Oktang, South Basecamp for my 65 birthday. balloons.gif party.gif Oct 24: Trek Cherum - Tortong Oct 25: Trek Tortong - Yamphudin Oct 26: Rest day Yamphudin Oct 27 Trek Yamphudin - Phung phung Danda Oct 28: Trek Phung Phung Danda - Kade Bhanjyang Oct 29: Trek Kade Bhanjyang - Suketar Oct 30: Rest Day Suketar Oct 31: Drive Suketar - Ilam Nov 1 : Ilam to Bhadrapur Airport, flight to Kathmandu Nov 2 : Kathmandu Nov 3 : Flight from Kathmandu to Dubai Nov 4 : Dubai Nov 5: Dubai to Seattle June 2018, I received an email from Sequim friends, Cindy & Greg, asking if I was interested in joining them on a new adventure in remote eastern Nepal. at first my response was that hubby Mark and I were talking about going to Ireland and England. well, we all decided to meet for dinner and talk about it. somewhere in the conversation, Greg said that Ireland and England will always be there, but the Nepal trip was at a remote area with few trekkers visiting. anyway, after my second margarita lol.gif I said, I'M IN we figured we trekked about 150 miles over 23 days, so distance was no biggie. it was the heat, the cold, the rocky trail, the huge boulders, the icky & icy water crossings, the log bridges, and high elevation! eek.gif what I loved about this trek was seeing the children walking or running to school in their uniform and sometimes in flip flops, the local Nepali people doing everyday chores at home or villages, the flora including golden larches! and fauna, waterfalls, and of course the majestic Himalayan Mountains up.gif this trek was taking us from Suketar to Kanchenjunga's North Base Camp at around 16,800 ft., cross over 4 major passes, 14,000 ft. each, to Oktang, South Base Camp of Kanchenjunga at around 15,500 ft., and looping back to Suketar. our group, 5 trekkers, each had a porter who was to carry our backpack weighing no more than 36-40 pounds. perfect and reasonable weight. it was unreal seeing other porters carrying up to 80 pounds! along with the porters, we also had a guide, someone 3 of the trekkers had in previous treks. my favorite part of the trek was celebrating my 65 birthday balloons.gif at Oktang, 15,581 ft. I was presented with katas, we all sang 'Happy Birthday', we walked around a make shift temple for Shiva 3 times reciting Om Mani Padme Hum, and ringing the bell each round. it was beautiful and I was quite emotional. bawl.gif
my scariest part was loosing feeling in my hands. our group just left Selele teahouse (sounds awesome but not, ha), and after crossing an icy creek, I realized I couldn't feel my fingers. our guide was with me and he started rubbing my hands to get some circulation. we continued on, all the while I moved my fingers which I couldn't feel, but I could see my fingers moving. after almost a mile, we met the group on a huge sunny spot. there, the guide and two porters began smacking/whacking my back, upper arms, and hands. after about 15 minutes, I was able to feel my fingers. it was downright scary eek.gif the rest of the trek was awesome!
the hardest part for me was reaching high and reaching low. my short legs are definitely a disadvantage. lol.gif I wasn't sure how to post my photos besides just photo dumping so ... Local Nepali and children
flora and fauna
lodging and food
photos along the trail on our way to Kanchenjunga North Base Camp
photos along the trail on our way to Oktang, South Basecamp of Kanchenjunga
trail steps
miscellaneous
favorite videos
that's all ... NAMASTE

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 5:58 am 
Fantastic! Congrats. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 am 
NAMASTE!

Art is an adventure.
fffej50

fffej50
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 am 
Namaste ! good stuff.... 40 years ago I tramped around Nepal for 3 months, potatoes and dirt for dinner yum! love to go back.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 12:22 pm 
Bobbi: what a way to expand your hiking horizons! Nepal is amazing; l last travelled there as a young man 30+ years ago and that mountainous country still haunts my dreams.....

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 1:46 pm 
Wow, an epic trip and epic pictures to match!!

JimL

JimL
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 2:02 pm 
Wonderful trip and pictures. Thank you.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 3:54 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Bobbi: what a way to expand your hiking horizons! Nepal is amazing; l last travelled there as a young man 30+ years ago and that mountainous country still haunts my dreams.....
thanks, but I've been to Nepal, Everest Base Camp, Kala Pathar, 2005. Kanchenjunga is a bit more challenging and possibly I've been having dreams, too! tongue.gif I've done a few out of country hiking, some to name a few are: Machu Picchu, Tour du Mont Blanc, Southern Dolomites, Torres del Paine/Fitz Roy

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
RichP

RichP
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 4:03 pm 
Wow Bobbi! That looks incredible. Even the food looks great.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 4:04 pm 
thanks ... returning back to Nepal has been another eye opener. Kathmandu is still a wreck, ha, but the Nepali people are so sweet and friendly. one of the funniest conversations between our guide and locals was not about the 3 blond women I was trekking with, BUT about ME. apparently, locals thought I was Nepali and possibly a female guide, maybe a bit stuckup because I wasn't 'speaking Nepali to them'. they figure I must be from western Nepal, lol.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 4:11 pm 
Damn looks like I need my horizons widened looking at that list👍🏻😲

Distel32

Distel32
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 4:56 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif

half fast

half fast
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 5:26 pm 
First of all... party.gif Happy BIG 65th Birthday bobbi party.gif What an awesome way to celebrate your BIG day!! The scenery is breathtaking... thanks for sharing biggrin.gif (btw... I ran into the Lurkers today)

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 5:50 pm 
I miss those momos! Thanks for the report and photos. What an awesome trip.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 10:05 pm 
What a fantastic experience! I’m glad everything went well for you, bobbi. Love the pictures! up.gif