Forum Index > Trail Talk > PSA: Please don't put logs on trails
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm 
We're once again arrived at the season of people piling logs and branches in muddy spots on trails. IME, this only serves to make worse the issue, as the logs trap more water on the trail and soon rot into...more mud. A little bit of mud isn't going to hurt you or your boots; it's okay to walk through. Kids think it's fun. Embrace your inner child and stomp some mud! If you want to make a positive difference, use a shovel or the heel of your boot to make a trench through which the water can escape the low spot. The heel method can be surprisingly effective. But the wobbly, rotting, water trapping, ankle-busting logs? Please refrain. Thank you.

If not now, when?
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 1:38 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
A little bit of mud isn't going to hurt you or your boots
but it makes a huge mess out of lame trail running shoes. Same with late season snow. Knuckleheads make a separate side trail instead of just walking across the snow or through the standing melt water. With my old fashioned, well treated leather boots I just walk right straight through mud/snow/water. No need for creating another social trail just to keep my tennis shoes dry.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 2:39 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Knuckleheads make a separate side trail instead of just walking across the snow or through the standing melt water.
up.gif agree.gif Agreed! Get some sensible shoes dammit!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 4:02 pm 
Hmmm, I envisioned reinforced waterbars made with logs anchored in place and a drainage outlet dug, not thrown in chunks. Sigh.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 4:51 pm 
No... he's talking about chuckleheads who fill mudholes full of anything laying around - logs, sticks, whatever. Turns an otherwise perfectly good mudhole into an ankle-breaker. Solution is to remove all the wood, and fill the hole in with rock. Usually takes a lot of rock to fill in a big mudhole: about 50 or 60 5-gallon buckets full of rock down at the bottom end of Beach Trail #1 at Kalaloch, as I recall, for a mudhole about 8 feet long.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 pm 
Isn't training for climbing supposed to include agility training and awareness? Didn't Edward Whymper say: "Be careful each step and remember the risk". Just another example of CascadeClimber complaining about those he deems unworthy not using the trails in way that is most convenient for him. #WhatAWhiner

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 5:44 pm 
When I first saw this I thought it was about LNT catholes doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:19 pm 
Any views on rocks as stepping stones?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:36 pm 
yeah, that, and you goddam kids get off my lawn!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:40 pm 
Embrace the fact that people are just going to do that stuff regardless. It will save you the angst and the proliferation of angst ridden threads on NWHikers. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 7:07 pm 
Posting here will surely stop the practice

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 7:28 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Just another example of CascadeClimber complaining about those he deems unworthy not using the trails in way that is most convenient for him. #WhatAWhiner
Really? Complain about me and then call me a whiner? Sheesh, dude, hypocrite much? I just asked that people not pile sh## in mudholes that will only make them worse.

If not now, when?
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 8:30 pm 
Cabin fever set in early this year

Damian

Damian
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 9:54 pm 
Where was all this passion when I launched my Coffee Cup thread recently?

neek

neek
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 10:08 pm 
Well now we know who's been putting rotten wobbly logs on trails!