Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > GoFundMe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 9:00 am 
"Johnny Bobbitt, famously rescued from the streets of Philadelphia last October after word of his kindness to a stranger went viral and led to a $400,000 GoFundMe campaign, is once again homeless, drug-addicted — and panhandling for money" http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/homeless-again-johnny-bobbitt-cant-get-his-gofundme-money-20180823.html

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 9:35 am 
Yes, many "down and out" people think that money will solve their problems, when in reality many times it makes their lives worse, or even ends them. Until they address their addictions, character defects, possible (probable) mental issues, and learn to be honest with themselves, no amount of 'help' will help. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/tragic-stories-lottery-winners-article-1.2492941

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 9:39 am 
You guys seem to be missing the point. This story is about the administrators/trustees of the fund and their apparent inability to account for $200K of trust money. If they can't account for every dime of the money, they may get criminally charged. If the trust money can be traced to the trustees' purchase of a new BMW, helicopter rides, etc., they may end up in prison. But, hey, it's so much easier to blame the poor and powerless, right?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 am 
My bad, didn't read the entire article. My point about money not usually solving people's problems still stands.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:03 am 
Sometimes access to money creates problems. A substantial part of my law practice has been going after embezzlers.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:16 am 
One or more of the three individuals involved is not being entirely truthful. Knowing how quickly an individual can burn through tens of thousands of dollars in fairly short order pumping money into "video poker" machines (from an episode involving a former employee at our Portland warehouse years ago) I have to question the validity of the claim about who actually purchased the BMW and whose money was used to buy it.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
bobcoleman0321recon

bobcoleman0321recon
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 pm 
I can easily see a couple of bored investigators having a field day with this. All it would take is one state or local and one FBI agent. I'd love to have worked something like this - theft or swindle then up to a 1030 fed charge + Although I don't think Go Fund Me is that sophisticated to have any internal investigators - that's where the real magic in many cases like this comes from. In another life after retirement I used 18 USC 1027 charges to support some counter fraud work for a major Seattle telecom. Lot's of options here. I'm sure with all that bank they've lawyered up.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 1:36 pm 
I guess nobody would ever loose money betting on humans being horrible.

~Mom jeans on wheels
bobcoleman0321recon

bobcoleman0321recon
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 1:40 pm 
Interesting perhaps, but would you have betted the human race short in the 18th and 19th centuries?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 6:06 pm 
State law charges are much more likely than fed charges. IME, these days the feds don't go after these kinds of cases unless the alleged theft is >$1,000,000. The feds lack the resources to go after smaller cases. Per no politics rule, I'll forebear from commenting on the shift of resources from white collar crime to terrorism after 9/11. From what I read, the couple should be deemed trustees of some sort or, at least, to bear the obligations of trustees. (The law on this varies from state to state.) If trustee status is found, the burden lies on the trustee to account for every penny that went into trust. Embezzlement is a common crime, often never detected. The thief usually starts taking small amounts, gets away with it, thinks "wow, this is easy money" and escalates the theft. IME, the typical profile of an embezzler is a narcissist who justifies the theft as deserved reward. The fantasies they harbor in their corrupt brains is bizarre. I've nailed numerous embezzlers with big judgments and negotiated some big settlements, although only one of them eventually admitted to wrongdoing. (He was required to atone as part of his AA 12 step work.)

bobcoleman0321recon

bobcoleman0321recon
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 6:20 pm 
Sure, but they are never as busy as they’d like you to think. That fed dollar amount is often right but this case has become notorious and pressure is building on this kind of fund raising. It ought to be interesting to see how it plays out. For sure local DAs are interested. You can bet they are getting calls for action from community groups. And when it’s over- will there be any money left?

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 5:39 am 
Wouldn't it be nice if.... With money came someone who'll show you how to spend (or save it). Or in this case let it go. Sad reading about this. Take care of your addictions on a forever basis! Never "cured!"

bobcoleman0321recon

bobcoleman0321recon
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 4:37 pm 
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 am 
$ all gone http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/05/400g-in-gofundme-cash-for-homeless-vet-is-gone-lawyer-claims.html

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 3:48 am 
Cops Raid Home Of Couple Who Raised GoFundMe Money For Homeless Vet https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gofundme-homeless-vet-new-jersey-couple_us_5b915449e4b0511db3e01cef