Forum Index > Trip Reports > Return to the Similkameen
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 8:56 am 
I haven't gotten over my living on the wetside habits. If the sun is out, something must be done outdoors. I went up to the Loup on Friday so on Saturday headed up to Oroville to hike the first part of the Similkameen Trail. It is a walk and no epic to be had. The Slightly Used Dog came along. If you are expecting a foreign, epic, or daring trip report, stop reading HERE. The trail does start at a falling down old fruit warehouse. You walk by an operating Controlled Atmosphere warehouse, which is spooky because of the tanks of ammonia and noise of the compressors or whatever working. I could swear one was accelerating and going to blow! Bags of lime are spewing--lime on their property. There are a couple of tents up (homeless people?) on the other side of the trail. I was soon wishing I had brought my bike. But, we were in the sun and it was warm. There were only two joggers ahead of us. We arrived at the upper trailhead and there were more cars and more people who stayed ahead of us. We crossed the trestle into shade. That side of the trail is mostly in the shade. I stopped and put on a hat because my ears were freezing. All systems were go, so we continued. The washout of before has been repaired. A large, shiny culvert was installed. I remarked on the culvert to a passerbyer and regretted doing so. He started---man 'splaining. I was a bit peeved so my pace picked up. We made it to the dam and end of the trail.
We stopped at the bench on the north side of the trestle to have water and a snack. Then plodded the rest of the way, sweating in the sun. The thermometer on a building in Oroville said it was 60 degrees. I had dressed for low 40s. If you have an aversion to cowpies, you should not go at this time. There is a herd of cows on the south side and you must open and close a very nice gate at the end of the trestle to keep them in. The cows use the trail and do what cows do on the trail. Our hike was 7 miles total, 40 feet gained and lost, and I had Hoka failure. I woke up yesterday with a relapse of the plantar fachiwhatever and am now having to do what you do for that. Ice, stretching and ibuprofen. And now it is time for the latter.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 6:53 pm 
up.gif Heal up strong!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message