Forum Index > Trip Reports > One Acre Lake attempt and an encounter with nighttime target shooters 11/25/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Nov 26, 2018 7:18 pm 
One Acre Lake below Mt. Stickney seemed like a good idea for Sunday as a way to avoid holiday traffic on Highway 2. From my house, I could see snow up that way, but I gambled and left the snowshoes at home. Big mistake! Snow covered the trail starting at about 2500 feet, and was at least three feet deep by the time we got close to the offtrail path to the lake at about 4,000 feet.
Trail to Mt. Stickney 11/25/18
It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood for the first 1 1/2 miles!
On the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
On the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Then the snow appeared, making the brush-bashing more interesting.
We begin to see lots of animal tracks.
Cat tracks along the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Cat tracks along the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Views began to open up as we gained elevation.
Headwaters of Olney Creek from trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Headwaters of Olney Creek from trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
By the time we reached the saddle at about 4 miles, the snow was three feet deep “Cascade Concrete”, making breaking trail with our boots way too much work. So we took a lunch break and enjoyed the views into the Wild Sky and MorningStar backcountry, before turning around.
View towards the Monte Cristos from the trail to Mt. Stickney 11/25/18
View towards the Monte Cristos from the trail to Mt. Stickney 11/25/18
Static and Greider Peaks from the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
South Fork Sultan River drainage from the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
South Fork Sultan River drainage from the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Turnaround point for no snowshoes on the trail to Mt.Stickney. Elevation 4,000ft, snow depth 3 ft. 11/25/18
Turnaround point for no snowshoes on the trail to Mt.Stickney. Elevation 4,000ft, snow depth 3 ft. 11/25/18
On the way back it began snowing, so we stopped to put on our rain gear, only to discover that it was a just a brief squall, despite the threatening skies!
Heading back down the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Puget Sound lowlands and Mt. Pilchuck from the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Puget Sound lowlands and Mt. Pilchuck from the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Mt. Pilchuck from trail to Mt.Stickney  11/25/18
Mt. Pilchuck from trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Along the trail to Mt.Stickney 11/25/18
Our exit plan was to arrive at the trailhead after dark, after the target shooters would be gone. As we hiked out, we heard lots of gunfire until about 5pm, when it was fairly dark. It seemed like our plan was working, until we had about 1/2 mile to go. Then, suddenly, we heard new gunfire, and it sounded like it was right where we were headed. By now it was pitch dark, and we were using our headlamps. Not certain what to do, I waited until there was a break between volleys, and then I started shouting at the top of my lungs to stop shooting. Fortunately, they apparently did hear me, and the shooting ceased. As we approached the gate, we aimed our headlamps towards the truck that was parked where we were headed, and then they quickly left. It was a very nerve-wracking experience, and it wasn’t until later that I realized that we should have made an emergency call on our Garmin InReach and just waited for law enforcement to arrive. Lesson learned!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 26, 2018 7:27 pm 
Nice photos -- looks like a good non-horde overrun place to hike.
Nancyann wrote:
I started shouting at the top of my lungs to stop shooting.
Seems like one of those circumstances where a whistle would be useful

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 26, 2018 8:19 pm 
Maybe this is a stupid question, but aren't there regulations about not shooting after dark? WAC 332-52-145
Washington State Legislature wrote:
(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.
Otherwise looks like it was a great day to walk up and down the hill. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Nov 27, 2018 9:21 am 
Where did you start from Nancy?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 am 
Schroder, we started up the Olney Creek drainage from a target shooter garbage dump off the Spada Lake Road. Randy, thanks for reminding me about using the whistle. I tend to forget that I carry one. dizzy.gif Thanks for posting the target shooting rules, Ski! I know they are not supposed to be (1) shooting there in the first place and (2) not supposed to be target shooting ANYWHERE after dark. Obviously they knew that too, that’s why they left in such a hurry. If we have this problem again, we will contact law enforcement with our InReach.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 pm 
Scary! Such non-hiking related issues are so much worse. paranoid.gif
Nancyann wrote:
Randy, thanks for reminding me about using the whistle. I tend to forget that I carry one. dizzy.gif
Me too! I've never had to use mine, and often forget that I have it in my pack.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 27, 2018 2:17 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Me too! I've never had to use mine, and often forget that I have it in my pack.
I attach mine to the sternum strap of my pack, so if I tumble and get hurt, I don't need to wrangle around to dig it out of my pack. I dislocated my shoulder after a tumble and every movement is extremely painful and until the dislocation is reduced, you can pretty much only can use one hand.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 pm 
Sounds like some hunters engaging in the heavily frowned-upon "wild nights" technique where you drink whiskey and shoot in all directions after dark and then scan the area come morning to see what you got. Illegal as well as heavily frowned upon. Should be reported!

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Nov 27, 2018 8:58 pm 
I am going to report it Wednesday, too busy out hiking today in the sun. cool.gif

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Nov 28, 2018 12:11 am 
Unfortunately at this point reporting it is probably only a waste of your time. It’s to late to effect any enforcement action and the local sheriff department And WSP are probably stretched to thin with pending in progress calls to increase area check frequency. Unless you just want to give yourself the warm fuzzy feeling you reported it then go ahead. On other topic looked like a fun trip and good workout trudging through that snow.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Nov 28, 2018 5:59 am 
Reporting it will fall on deaf ears. It has been reported several times up there and nothing has been done about it.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Nov 28, 2018 7:50 am 
We’ve chatted with enforcement several times this past summer when we see them up in the basin, and they have been making an attempt to change things for the better. It’s kind of like dealing with rats though. banghead.gif

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 am 
Sultan area seems to be troubled frown.gif This summer my car was broken into there while I was hiking and I still find little pieces of glass inside the car here and there. I called Sultan police and their response literally was "we don't investigate crimes like this if damage is less than $5000". While I do understand the point of saving police resources, I felt very upset because rules like this seems to hurt poor the most. I can absorb $5000 damage, but $5000 damage to somebody's car who doesn't have means may put them into a really bad situation and police basically refuses to even look at it.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Nov 28, 2018 12:16 pm 
kitya wrote:
Sultan area seems to be troubled frown.gif This summer my car was broken into there while I was hiking and I still find little pieces of glass inside the car here and there. I called Sultan police and their response literally was "we don't investigate crimes like this if damage is less than $5000". While I do understand the point of saving police resources, I felt very upset because rules like this seems to hurt poor the most. I can absorb $5000 damage, but $5000 damage to somebody's car who doesn't have means may put them into a really bad situation and police basically refuses to even look at it.
My if there was a theft then you should be able to report what was stolen they just won’t come out but rather take the report over the phone. But most likely depending on the location of the trailhead it’s not sultan police you must talk to but Skykomish county sheriffs office. Most likely it will be the same story though they probably won’t come out to investigate but take a report via telephone. If your vehicle was damaged such as a broken window and nothing was stolen but you want to report it try Washington State Patrol they have online reporting available. Also you still are responsible financially to fix your vehicle whether the police investigate it or not. When my car was broken into the only break I got was my insurance company took the value of the stolen items and put it towards my deductible.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Nov 28, 2018 12:18 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
I am going to report it Wednesday, too busy out hiking today in the sun. cool.gif
up.gif up.gif up.gif I love shooting, but not "intentionally stupidly"! Good grief..... And as far as the "stretched too thin" comment goes, if that were indeed true, they wouldn't be sitting along the side of the highway, for hours on end waiting for someone to come along 4,5 mph over the posted limit. It's all for gathering up the $, nothing more. They can't make any money investigating small crimes, but those expensive RADARs can pull in some serious cash.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology