Forum Index > Trail Talk > closed ski resorts and access
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 pm 
if a resort isn't in its operation mode yet, can one go up and sled on the hills?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 2:44 pm 
That depends on the resort, who owns the land, and how much avalanche terrain there is. Generally speaking, if one is in low angle safe terrain where patrol will never be dropping bombs, and on NF land(example snoqualmie summit), you can use it whenever you want, except not sledding during active hours. If one is on private land or in terrain where patrol might be dropping artillery on you, things get more complicated. A number of local resorts are on public NF land BUT have closures to keep people away from avy work. Each resort usually has their rules published on its site. I think that all of them allow access before and after the season, but once the resort is open for the season, access becomes more iffy.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 2:49 pm 
Almost all ski areas have a "no sledding" policy and signs indicating such. The Snoqualmie pass areas have a fairly strict policy, partially "liability" and partially to encourage use of their pay to play "tubing hill" You might check the "uphill policy" on a specific area's website for some guidance. But lots of people go sledding anyway and get in at least some runs before being chased off. The Hyak sno-park has a "snow play" area. https://parks.state.wa.us/647/Snow-Play-Sno-Parks

iron

iron
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 2:52 pm 
so even on this upcoming weekend, where no resorts are open, they'd still have heartburn on accessing their land?

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm 
I have seen lots and lots of people sledding at snoqualmie summit(west central and hyak) without issue when the lifts are closed. Note alpental with its much more serious terrain and frequent avy work has different rules.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 3:23 pm 
I agree that seeing sledders at Summit West and Summit Central pre-season is common. But I also know that sledders get chased off.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 4:26 pm 
I was at Snoqualmie Pass a couple of weekends ago and did some sledding on the ski slopes with my daughter. There were dozens of other people doing the same.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 5:19 pm 
IME before the lifts open for the season, sledders are tolerated on Julies at Summit West. I've seen up to 50 kids sledding there with Summit workers present. Keep your eye out for jibbers building kickers on the cat road to the water tower (climber's right of Julies). Most pre-season skin lappers skin and ski Big Bill or Main Chute/Thunderbird. I've seen some sledders at the bottom of Big Bill, but I advise against it because a stream crosses at the bottom. Sometimes a skin lapper will descend the weedy stuff down to Julies and, when they do, they will ski around the kids on sleds. Once Summit West opens, sledders are likely to get kicked out.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 5:47 pm 
Pretty sure it is OK at White Pass. There are often people playing before and after the ski season. Loup Loup has a dedicated tubing hill that is used during the ski season.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 5:51 pm 
Ah yes, for $11 on weekends and $7 other days, you can use the tubing hill. Tube rental is included in the price. This is at The Loup.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 9:52 pm 
Last Monday, we snowshoed up the PCT south out of Stevens Pass. There were a few families sledding on the hill behind the lodge where the PCT crosses. Also a few backcountry skiers and split boarders enjoying the two feet of powder. clown.gif Quite a few employees were around and they didn’t seem to care. I don’t know if they are more strict on the weekend, maybe give them a call.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 9:55 am 
DIY Steve wrote: "Keep your eye out for jibbers building kickers on the cat road" Always good advice! winksmile.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 11:25 pm 
Ok, what is a "jibber"?

When I grow up I wanna play.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:00 am 
Brushwork wrote:
Ok, what is a "jibber"?
Jibbing is doing tricks on various terrain park features such as jumps and rails.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Dec 09, 2018 2:29 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
Ok, what is a "jibber"?
one who jibs