Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dickerman Break-In, Sat. 12/15/18
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
bk

bk
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 5:51 am 
A wta.org reports a break-in Saturday, Dec. 15th at Mount Dickerman. The author guesses at about 3 PM. It's not clear if theirs was a lone car in the lot, or if there were other cars (or if the other cars were affected or not). No specific mention of a report to the sheriff (but maybe they reported it).

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 8:38 am 
Its sad that society allows this to happen again and again and again.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 9:24 am 
It's sad that society allows war, poverty, rape, and environmental destruction to happen again and again. Petty crime, especially in the northwest corner of the US, isn't something that keeps me up at night. Drive a cheap car and don't leave crap in it. Every 10 years or so you'll have to spend $100 to replace a window. Big deal.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 9:27 am 
^^^

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 am 
Ahhh yes, the pro crime crowd shows up right on schedule. The mistake you make of course is that by encouraging injustice on a small scale you allow it to fester and grow. Petty crime rate is well correlated with serious crime rate.

lanzscape

lanzscape
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 11:43 am 
Drive a cheap car and don't leave crap in it. Every 10 years or so you'll have to spend $100 to replace a window. Big deal. Every time someone posts about a trail head break-in, someone else makes the above comment, and I then feel compelled to make the following response (and yes, this is coming from someone who was the victim of a trail head break-in while using a rental car in the PNW). Driving a cheap car and not leaving valuables inside is a good idea, of course, if practical. However, people don't always have a "cheap" (but reliable, of course) car they can leave at the trail head. People may also have traveled from a far distance, be on vacation, and/or may be using a rental car (people do fly to Washington to use National Parks and Forests), and may need (or even just want) to leave clothes, equipment, etc. in the car while they hike. For example, I often take lots of camera equipment with me on vacation, but I often want to leave some in the car depending on where I am hiking. If backpacking (vs. dayhiking), I often want to take less camping or camera equipment to save weight. Conversely, if I am dayhiking, I may want to leave all my camping equipment (some of it expensive) in the car. Your "solution" to drive a cheap car and leave it empty is often impractical and trivializes the problem. While "petty crime" does not keep you up at night, it may keep up the family whose vacation is ruined by it and/or must spend lots of $ to replace their vandalized and stolen property.

neek

neek
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 12:25 pm 
lanzscape, I appreciate your finer points, and you're quite right. In addition to vehicles, I hesitate leaving my bike anywhere, even with a good lock. And road trips aren't quite as fun as they should be given the constant stress over what could happen. No one here is "pro-crime" or thinks it should be ignored. I had seen that WTA post and appreciate being informed of these incidents. And how many times have I fantasized about catching someone in the act, and "doing something" about it. Of course we all know how well that would turn out. But the tough-on-crime crowd should develop their thinking beyond the lock-em-up approach. How are you going to pay for that? How do you account for the wild variance in incarceration vs. crime rates among the states? And so on...certainly not an appropriate "trail talk" topic, so I'll stop and simply thank the OP for the info.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 12:34 pm 
Yes when I travel away from this region I'm typically in the position lanzscape describes. That said, most supposed remedies that I see come up in the heat of discussion on threads on this topic suffer from one more of these flaws: they are wildly disproportionate to the crime, they rely on wild west vigilantism, and/or they strike me as rather unlikely to stem the supply of people motivated and willing to break into cars at remote trailheads. To try to be constructive, though, I think that getting more cameras out at trailheads might have a non-zero impact over time (though I'd love to know if there's any data behind that e.g. from the TH's where they've already been deployed in our region). From there, though, I think these crimes still have to fall into some priority order on the part of police and prosecutors - the sad fact is that many rural PD's in our region are struggling to be able to deal with violent crime in residential areas let alone relatively small and almost always nonviolent felonies at remote trailheads and there's no magic wand that will change that.
thunderhead wrote:
The mistake you make of course is that by encouraging injustice on a small scale you allow it to fester and grow.
Interesting phrasing. Leaving aside the fact that no one here is encouraging any sort of crime (what a loaded framing there- there may be a role on political campaigns for you!!), you raise what is essentially called the "broken windows theory." Which has largely been debunked - the supposed effects of the policing of small crimes that had been claimed to have been shown to reduce incidence of larger crimes were in fact a case of correlation but not causation, as has been shown by more careful work by various researchers who have better teased out the actual societal factors that reduced various crimes in that period. See for instance the sources mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory#Criminology

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 1:32 pm 
Break ins suck, sure. The state of our society and how we treat our most vulnerable sucks more and the rage that people express over a likely desperate person costing them the inconvenience of filing an insurance report and a few hundred dollars of deductible makes me a little sick. You can get new stuff.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 1:36 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
by encouraging injustice on a small scale you allow it to fester and grow.
by encouraging injustice on a large scale you allow it to fester and grow.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.