Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Book: Death In Mount Rainier National Park (2018, Tracy Salcedo)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bk

bk
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 6:54 pm 
Here's a book, hot off the library's new-books bookshelf: Death In Mount Rainier National Park "Stories of Accidents and Foolhardiness on the Northwest's Most Iconic Peak" by Tracy Salcedo Yikes. She (the author) lives in California's Wine Country. The Amazon link has no reviews yet, but it does have the "Look Inside" featured enabled. Released Sept. 1, 2018. It looks to be an attempt of some sort of exhaustive overview, in the sense that the appendices lists names, dates and causes of death from 1893 to 2017. The chapters probably highlight selected stories in the list.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 7:35 am 
Hmmmmm. There's a series of Death in ____________: Stories of Accidents and Foolhardiness ___________________ books offered on Amazon -- Yellowstone, Zion, Mt. Washington, Glacier NP, Great Smokies. Kinda weird -- and ostensibly formulaic and macacbre.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 11:57 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Hmmmmm. There's a series of Death in ____________: Stories of Accidents and Foolhardiness ___________________ books offered on Amazon -- Yellowstone, Zion, Mt. Washington, Glacier NP, Great Smokies. Kinda weird -- and ostensibly formulaic and macacbre.
I don't know if it's in that series, but my brother read and has mentioned several times a book about deaths in Grand Canyon NP. Between the heat and high number of accessible places with a large drop off, not surprising that people manage to get themselves dead there.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 3:51 pm 
I read Death In The Grand Canyon at least 12 years ago. That book was divided into categories--death by drowning, death by overheating, death by falling, death by plane/helicopter crashes and probably something else. It was interesting, but remembering the story about flash flood deaths at the place I had my tent set up while it was raining a bit kind of ruined my sleep. The Park Service sent me their own DVD of danger when I got the dates reserved for our hike. I felt we would be OK as none of us fell into the most dangerous user group category which was young men. Nor were we going to pack a cooler down with us.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 5:30 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I don't know if it's in that series. . . .
One can reasonably infer there's connection between the books sharing the exact "Death in ____________: Stories of Accidents and Foolhardiness. . . ." language in their respective titles, share a similar cover layout and pop up on Amazon as a group. ETA: The Grand Canyon death book is not part of the ostensible series, was first published 17 years ago and does not share the "accidents and foolhardiness" title language.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 5:49 pm 
I have not had any of the books in my hand or looked at them on Amazon, so unaware of general layout design or exact title of the book. Merely noting that my bro read the book and mentioned it to me.