Forum Index > Trail Talk > Our Gift to You - Out of the Mist ~ Olympic Wilderness Stories
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silence

silence
PostSun Dec 09, 2018 11:51 am 
"Out of the Mist DVD"
"Out of the Mist DVD"
HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Out of the Mist chronicles the life experiences of four individuals who share their deep love and respect for the Olympics. The scenery is stunning…their stories are inspiring. Filmed over several years of hiking and backpacking in some of the most unique and remote wilderness areas of the Olympics. We still have some Out of the Mist DVDs left, but I'm mostly hoarding them for libraries and special requests. We can't afford to put the whole 50-minute film up online, but we did the next best thing. You can watch the 4 segments separately for free at the Crest Pictures Vimeo Channel. I love them all for their individual messages, but since Dane is one of us (we love and miss you bud), thought you all would like to revisit his great adventures in the Olympics over the holidays. Remarkably, most of the backcountry shots of Dane were painstakingly filmed by him. Dane Burke has backpacked hundreds of miles on multi-day trips exploring some of the most remote off-trail areas in the Olympic Mountains.
Dane Burke
Dane Burke
https://vimeo.com/channels/crestpictures/282411010 Dave Skinner has spent most of his life on the Olympic Peninsula backpacking, climbing peaks, working on trails and doing glacier research for the University of Washington
Dave Skinner
Dave Skinner
https://vimeo.com/channels/crestpictures/283193599 Harvest Moon has become an ambassador and historian for the Quinault Indian Nation and the Coast Salish through her popular storytelling and basket weaving artistry.
Harvest Moon
Harvest Moon
https://vimeo.com/channels/crestpictures/280747699 Tim McNulty has lived on the Olympic Peninsula for over 40 years, authored several books and essays on natural history, writes and teaches poetry, and speaks out on behalf of wilderness.
Tim McNulty
Tim McNulty
https://vimeo.com/channels/crestpictures/281094419 A Crest Pictures Film ©2018 Crest Pictures crestpictures.com Produced & Directed: Robert and Kathy Chrestensen Filmed & Edited: Robert Chrestensen Music Composed & Produced: Annastasia Workman Additional Footage: Dane Burke Musicians: Annastasia Workman, piano Annie Ford, violin and viola Dayton Allemann, flute Filmed on the Olympic Peninsula, Washington

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Dec 09, 2018 1:39 pm 
silence wrote:
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
👍 Thank you, I really enjoy these videos.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostTue Dec 11, 2018 10:26 am 
I'm posting a comment to bump this forward and keep it from getting lost and ignored. Beautiful photography and interesting commentary. Thanks for the links.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin
PostTue Dec 11, 2018 2:14 pm 
Whatever happened to Dane Burke? He was once a very active and on this forum. -Sorry for hijacking this thread.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm 
I just watched Dane's section so far, but very cool! What a wonderful gift to us during this cabin fever season. Thank you so much for all the work that must have gone into this. Well done!

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 3:08 pm 
I just wanted to say thank you. Your film is wonderful!

Here on this mountaintop...Woahoho...I got some wild, wild life - Talking Heads
silence

silence
PostFri Dec 14, 2018 8:35 am 
Thanks guys! Of course, I knew Dane from NWhikers ... he is a remarkable person and his trip reports were always so inspiring. We met Dave up on Snow Dome at the UW research hut when we climbed Olympus. His story of a lifetime in the park was amazing too. We found Harvest from her great storytelling and knew we had to have her in the film, as well. And, Tim is known for his vast knowledge of the natural history of the Olympics and his poetry, so he rounded out an exceptional group. All have such an intimate connection with the Olympics. I'd like to say we do too, but nothing like theirs. The funny thing was that we actually already had most of the footage from all of our own hikes and backpacks to fit their stories. I'm sure those of you familiar with the Olympics have been there, too. Just by coincidence, that's actually a shot of Dave up on Panic Peak at sunset before we summitted the next day (way before we were planning the film). We were originally just going to use some of Dane's scenic footage from his Bailey and Burke trips, but after we looked at his incredible stuff, we had to put a lot more of it in the the film for folks to see and to preserve it. Anyhow, glad you're enjoying their stories. It brings back great memories for us every time we watch it.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Luc

Luc
PostSun Dec 23, 2018 3:52 pm 
Ah - I now realize that's the Dave I met a few years back on the skyline. He was doing solo trail work brushing out, while wearing nothing but shortshorts - like a boss. And yeah, last I saw Dane was fall of 2016, we did a nice loop over Remmel and Ampitheater, Coleman ridge. On that trip, we talked at length about what might unfold in Nov of that year (I was wrong). I've tried to contact him many times since then, including visiting his workplace this past summer - there I had learned that he had left sometime in 2017. While I do question why anyone wouldn't want to hang out with me, I can respect his apparent wishes for privacy. During our trips in years past, he did mention some personal questions brewing in his mind in regards to where he wanted to steer his ship. Totally fair. If anyone sees him, tell him he left his phone case in my truck.

GNGSTR
vibramhead

vibramhead
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 pm 
Thanks for posting this. I just watched it, and thought it was a fine film.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 12:50 am 
Beautiful film, love the music and the images. I just watched the segment with Dane. What a lovely interview, warm-hearted and so inspiring. In particular I loved the story at minute 11 or thereabouts - what an incredible experience that must have been!! I now look forward to watching the other three segments.