Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > where to buy cedar fencing material near seattle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 pm 
Old growth Western Red Cedar lasts virtually forever, problem is it is rare as hens teeth. Third growth is far lighter and much coarser grain. Used to be here most homes were cedar shakes on sides shingles on top. Now it is like having 5 gallon Jeep cans full of gas on your roof round the 4th. Good straight grain cedar is beautiful, I built a surround for our hot tub with it and it looks great. I stopped buying lumber at Home Despot when it took me half an hour to find a straight 2x4.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 9:39 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I stopped buying lumber at Home Despot when it took me half an hour to find a straight 2x4.
Lol, no kidding. One positive for them and Lowe's is that they will drastically discount lumber that is flawed. I was looking for a couple of sheets of 1/2' plywood and wasn't having much luck finding a straight piece. A worker came along and I asked if he would discount a couple of sheets as my project didn't call for perfection. He gave me 50% off...so for those on a very strict budget, they are a good source. As far as their "Customer Service"...it's usually non-existent. I did find an anomaly recently at the Everett Lowe's in the electrical department, in that they employ two retired electricians. Most are stock boys and really can't-won't help you.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
iron

iron
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 9:44 pm 
HD's 2x4s are now almost all perfectly straight. they just suck at taking a nail (they're brittle). lowes' 2x4s are doug fir #2 or btr, so they're not bad.

mike

mike
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
How does one know how to identify and avoid "sapwood"? smile.gif
Sapwood is the part just under the bark. In cedar it is usually white or light yellowish. It contrasts with the dark heart wood and is easy to spot. It is prevalent in the 2nd and 3rd growth commonly sold as generic "cedar". While heartwood is rot resistant the sapwood will rot in a few years when outdoors and damp. It's worth it to pick through the pile or to pay the premium for select tight knot or clear. Around here when a new sling arrives at the local yard the vultures arrive to pick the pile.

contour5

contour5
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 10:41 pm 
Also: Craigslist/Cedar Fence boards Pirates, thieves and lunatics, probably. But also contractors dumping extra lumber, small time mill operators, etc..

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Dec 14, 2018 1:25 pm 
Dunn is my preferred store for construction lumber. You can go to the yard and pick through the stacks for the best pieces and just re-stack your rejects. Prices are good and quality is reasonable. I did a big fence project back in 2016 with their stuff. One thing that I would recommend is to use pressure treated stuff for your posts since they are cheaper and will last longer. Also, since they store it outside, keep it in your garage/shop and sticker it until it is dry

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 14, 2018 2:35 pm 
I have to mention E&E lumber for those near Marysville, excellent customer service and prices not too bad considering their higher quality lumber vs the big box stores. Also for a "newbie" make sure that you air dry the boards before installing, otherwise you will get shrinkage and gaps, yes, I learned that the hard way.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Dec 14, 2018 2:37 pm 
I used to buy cedar at Cedarbrook just north of Woodinville on Hiway 9. Limback in Ballard is also good.

iron

iron
PostFri Dec 14, 2018 2:50 pm 
so all cedar fence boards new to dry? how long?

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Dec 14, 2018 3:03 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Also: Craigslist/Cedar Fence boards Pirates, thieves and lunatics, probably. But also contractors dumping extra lumber, small time mill operators, etc..
Another thing to consider is don't throw out the cut pieces as cedar makes excellent fire starter for the outdoor fire pit. Cut into small kindling and smaller, and it lights with one match.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Dec 14, 2018 6:14 pm 
Dry in summer for a few weeks. In winter...??? do you have a dehumidifier indoors?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 14, 2018 7:56 pm 
I used some cedar fencing for part of the ceiling in my "rustic" cabin without drying it and now have at least a 1/2 gap between boards. A bit later I did an interior wall with better quality cedar obtained from the hardware store in Granite Falls. I let it dry (in Summer) just a few days and it was fine. The boards can't 'breath' while stacked tight at the lumber yard, and they are usually not stored in a controlled environment.

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostWed Dec 19, 2018 12:03 am 
With cedar go with darker = better. Redder the better. The closer the grain the better. All white or yellow cedar is going to disappoint you........

illegitimi non carborundum!
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Dec 19, 2018 4:57 pm 
Unless, of course, you go with Alaska yellow cedar, which is far superior to WRC, but also about 3X as expensive.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.