Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > state park funding
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Apr 25, 2019 8:59 pm 
Now we know what the discover in Discover Pass means. Legislature discovered another source of money for general fund. https://view.s7.exacttarget.com/?qs=40e816dc8f79da7d8fd19257e94a558c93cc2ecec824c5bf7d561bbb5746cff1ee4852348838830623e33615e52c13692b5b254a9b011e46e9042ac6771d8ebfc85dca225e627632e9cb8a37caa69a26

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 4:03 am 
Why am I not surprised.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 11:11 am 
I would say "completely false", not misleading. The little snippet he linked to provides a couple of claims backed by nothing, and is about a "current proposal", not anything that has happened. Typical "panic over nothing" to draw major cynical conclusions from this tiny opinion piece.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 11:19 am 
Just as I thought, and it took two minutes to find the truth: state parks are asking for $19 million from the general fund, to cover for the fact that user fees only generate 80% of the state park budget. https://parks.state.wa.us/177/Financing

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 9:39 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I would say "completely false", not misleading. The little snippet he linked to provides a couple of claims backed by nothing, and is about a "current proposal", not anything that has happened. Typical "panic over nothing" to draw major cynical conclusions from this tiny opinion piece.
Good to see that the old Slugman is back. The mild-mannered version that was around for a while was kind of boring.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Apr 29, 2019 5:08 pm 
Well, The Mountaineers are still saying this in spite of what the State Parks web page says: ACTION ALERT! DNR & STATE PARKS FUNDING UNDER THREAT

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Apr 29, 2019 10:22 pm 
I'm always displayin' my disc pass when I embark

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 7:19 am 
Schroder wrote:
Well, The Mountaineers are still saying this in spite of what the State Parks web page says: ACTION ALERT! DNR & STATE PARKS FUNDING UNDER THREAT
And here is a reply I received from Senator Sam Hunt: "As you mention, the Senate budget does include a one-time transfer of $1 million from the Park Land Trust Revolving Account to the General Fund. I understand your concerns and the State Parks Commission has also expressed their concerns. We are deep into budget negotiations with just a few days before the end of session. I am hopeful that we will rectify this matter in the final budget." So we'll see....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 11:57 am 
We all know politicians. A one time transfer normalizes subsequent one time transfers.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 3:13 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
We all know politicians. A one time transfer normalizes subsequent one time transfers.
Yup. So write well, write often....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed May 01, 2019 1:55 pm 
This really pisses me off. According to the WTA blog "DNR will see lower revenues because $750,000 from Discover Pass revenues was transferred to the state’s general fund." That's down from the initial $1 million but still sucks. I wrote my representatives before the budget was finalized to protest. After mentioning that I'd been there with the WTA lobbying group I added:
Quote:
I understand that hard budget choices need to be made, but I have learned that the Senate budget diverts $1 million from DNR’s Discover Pass to the state’s general fund. This is very upsetting for me. The Discover Pass is on its own an unfortunate impediment for some people to visit public land and parks, but seemed acceptable as a user fee for those doing so. Now even that is being eroded and it is simply another tax, one that penalizes people enjoying our beautiful public lands. Please do not divert Discover Pass funds to the general fund.
Sen Jamie Peterson: "Thanks for your message and for your advocacy for funding of the budget requests of the Department of Natural Resources and the Parks and Recreation Commission. As an Eagle scout and den leader in the cub scout pack where all four of my sons are members, I strongly agree about the importance of investments in our public lands. I would support our moving to the House position on funding in these areas." Rania Elbasiony for Rep Frank Chop: "Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Speaker Chopp. I will be sure to pass along your message." I hoped it wouldn't come out this way

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 01, 2019 6:51 pm 
And then they wonder why voters get angry.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu May 02, 2019 7:43 am 
I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on here. If the operating budget for state parks is $166M and presumably state DNR is some number like that, what does it mean to transfer $1M? Is someone trying to pick a fight? Or as Mtn. Goat speculates, create a conduit that can be used later? WTF? huh.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir