Forum Index > Trail Talk > Government shutdown will affect National Parks at the very least
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
schifferj

schifferj
PostMon Dec 24, 2018 3:56 pm 
I'll stay non political. On one of the more recent government "shutdowns" I proceeded up to the Wenatchee Ranger Station in Leavenworth. I found it closed and then went directly to the Snow Lakes Trailhead for the Enchantment Lakes. Found the facilities there closed. I issued myself a "permit" to the Enchantments and enjoyed a great six day stay up there - something I couldn't seem to accomplish when the government was fully operational.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 24, 2018 4:28 pm 
schifferj wrote:
I issued myself a "permit" to the Enchantments and enjoyed a great six day stay up there - something I couldn't seem to accomplish when the government was fully operational.
No surprise there, in which month did that happen?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 24, 2018 7:26 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
schifferj wrote:
I issued myself a "permit" to the Enchantments and enjoyed a great six day stay up there - something I couldn't seem to accomplish when the government was fully operational.
No surprise there, in which month did that happen?
H'mm I'm not seeing any shutdowns during the permit season. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdowns_in_the_United_States

schifferj

schifferj
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 8:43 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
H'mm I'm not seeing any shutdowns during the permit season
Randy, Check your own cite just a little bit closer- The Federal Government (including Wenatchee Ranger District) was shut down for sixteen days commencing October 1st in 2013. At that time the Enchantment permit season ran until October 15th. I got to enjoy "Golden Week" up there - something I've never been able to do under the onerous government lottery system. It was an awesome trip BTW. Larches were magnificent and there was only a handful of scofflaws enjoying the area free and gratis. Thanks for refreshing my memory; it gets foggier every year as I enter my "golden" years and I had forgotten what year it was exactly.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 9:56 am 
It's a bummer when you fly all the way out from Minnesota and can't go to your favorite places, but oh well. There's still beauty to be had. Merry Christmas!

RodF

RodF
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 2:32 pm 
HermitThrush wrote:
It's a bummer when you fly all the way out from Minnesota and can't go to your favorite places, but oh well. There's still beauty to be had. Merry Christmas!
I'm very sorry this happened to you. frown.gif None of us anticipated this.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 2:48 pm 
HermitThrush wrote:
Merry Christmas! I’m sorry that happened to you. However, did you know that thanks to the trillions of digital photos taken around the world over the past couple of decades, you can enjoy those favorite places without having a carbon footprint? Just use Google images and save the Earth!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 11:08 pm 
Good to know there is no politics here. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 12:58 am 
Edit: Removed the political drift above.

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 5:01 am 
Tom wrote:
Can those of you who can't help but talk politics just STFU now so we don't have to lock this?
This is a hilarious Midnight Mod post embarassedlaugh.gif Everyone remember that in a few months the sun will start to shine again and we can all go out and be happy again? If all this BS has to happen at least it's not happening in "peak" season, at least from the hiking perspective, yeah? Up here the Chucks, Lookout Mountain, Erie, Little Mountain, the Kettles; we've got options I guess. County/City trails to get those legs moving while ya wait. I feel like this place gets surly every winter uhoh.gif

gb

gb
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 5:44 am 
The intentional injection of politics into this thread does nothing to help collect and disseminate information on effects hikers, etc. learn about and discover regarding access during the shutdown. I have political opinions that are strong but any reader would note none of those opinions were injected into the OP. I want to know where I can go and where I cannot and I am sure any other active outdoor folks want to also.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 11:15 am 
Sorry I cannot remove posts where other members have quoted my text, but I've removed all of my previous posts from the thread. Hopefully this will assuage those whose feelings have been hurt. I'm sorry if Santa didn't bring you what you really wanted this year.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 12:24 pm 
Ski, your post was innocuous IMHO but I've moved the recreational economy discussion to Stewardship. The political injection came later by others. I've removed the drift. Let’s keep this focused on hiking impacts.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 1:57 pm 
Well, the damage to national parks is apparently going to be severe. This will be mainly in the Grand Canyon where there will be nobody available to make people "stay on trails". That's what I heard on NPR. Some enviro guy was saying the damage would be tremendous. Might be a few splats to clean up if people go too far off the trail. wink.gif Bring along your own porta potty and toilet paper. It might be a while.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 4:33 pm 
Impact to the hiker user constituency is a no-brainer: NO trail maintenance. NO vault toilets available at trailheads. (Ergo: more crap all around the trailhead on the ground.) NO law enforcement presence at trailheads or on trails. This isn't rocket science.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."