Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jordan (country), 10/26/18 - 11/11/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Moose

Moose
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 9:38 am 
Last October we spent two weeks traveling around Jordan (with a quick few days in Israel). This is a hiking site so I'll stick to the facts here but happy to share more with anyone who may be interested in traveling to this amazing part of the world. Wadi Numeira This hike was about an hour's drive south of the Dead Sea region (due to time we weren't able to explore the entire siq). We met several groups of locals who offered us food - hot sage tea, fruit, or some of the BBQ chicken or lamb that they were cooking. This would be a trend during our time in Jordan; we were constantly surprised by the hospitality and kindness we encountered throughout the country. And bonus - zero tourists!
Sheq Al-Reesh Trail We stayed in the Dana Biosphere Reserve (their version of a national park) for a few days at a camp run entirely by the villagers. The women of the village cooked the meals for the guests, and the men performed various operational functions at the camp. On our second day we signed up for a hike with one of the local guides (almost every hike here required the use of a guide - not sure if this was for the safety of the tourists or for the benefit of the village, but our guide was great and provided a lot of insight into the region).
Petra / Monastery Including Petra in this TR because it was technically a hike to the Monastery (45 min and crowded with tourists and market stalls). And because Petra!
Wadi Rum, Um Ad Dami Our last few nights in the country were spent in Wadi Rum (Valley of the Moon), the large desert in the south of Jordan made famous by Lawrence of Arabia. We explored sand dunes, bombed around in an awesome Toyota pick-up, and climbed the highest mountain in Jordan, Um Ad Dami (which sounds impressive but was only about 3/4 mi and 1k feet to the summit).
An amazing trip that we won't soon forget!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 am 
Thanks for the report. Have been dreaming about these places for years. Someday.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 12:07 pm 
Beautiful. Hospitable, warm people and scenery like that make for great travel destinations.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 12:35 pm 
I had no idea what to expect when I clicked on the link to your trip report... but what a pleasant surprise when I did... reminds me a lot of the southwest.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 12:00 am 
Thanks for posting. You also went to the the lowest point on earth?

Moose

Moose
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 9:12 am 
Bernardo wrote:
Thanks for posting. You also went to the the lowest point on earth?
Yeah, we spent two days at the Dead Sea. I understand that it may not be around much longer, so I'm glad I got to see it.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 10:05 am 
They have plan to bring in water from the Red Sea: Red Sea - Dead Sea Canal What were you doing in that picture where you are on a very narrow ledge? Was that a trail to somewhere?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 11:25 am 
Some fabulous photos there, Moose. Petra! Wow. And despite the tourists at that location, you still managed some shots that make it look like your party was the only one there.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 9:26 pm 
Wow ! Really nice to see pictures of that area. Very cool! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

When I grow up I wanna play.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 7:42 am 
Lovely! Great photos too. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Moose

Moose
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 8:52 am 
Bernardo wrote:
What were you doing in that picture where you are on a very narrow ledge? Was that a trail to somewhere?
We followed our guide across that ledge and it connected to the main path so we assumed it was part of the trail, but on the return he bypassed the ledge in favor of an actual trail so now I don't know what to think lol.
Anne Elk wrote:
Some fabulous photos there, Moose. Petra! Wow. And despite the tourists at that location, you still managed some shots that make it look like your party was the only one there.
Thanks Anne! We entered Petra when it opened (6 AM) and had the place pretty much to ourselves for a few hours. The tour buses typically leave from Amman, a few hours away, so don't get there until around 10 AM. Walking out of the siq around 3 PM was a sh*t show. Think Si on a Saturday in July but double the number of selfie sticks and add girls in summer dresses riding harassed camels, large families being carted around in carriages pulled by donkeys, and lots. of. poop.
GaliWalker wrote:
Lovely! Great photos too. up.gif
Thanks GaliWalker! Big compliment coming from you.