Forum Index > Gear Talk > good velcro tabs for converting some arcteryx sleeves?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikr

hikr
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 12:39 am 
I recently bought an Arcteryx Gamma LT jacket and I like it a lot but the sleeves are open-ended and I'd like to convert them to use velcro closures. Has anyone else here tried an alteration like this? Do you have any recommendations? I have a TNF Summit Series softshell from a few years ago which has a nice velcro closure on the sleeves: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpcm4wyxz8xp3j9/IMG_20181224_235445__01.jpg?dl=0 The velcro strap starts at 7/8" and tapers down to 1/2". The visual design, ergonomics and durability have been great. Are there any popular providers of velcro straps who outdoors enthusiasts tend to use for projects like this? I have a good tailor so I'm sure he could do the alteration. But I just want to make sure that I get legit top-quality supplies for the conversion.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 6:40 pm 
I'm not going to be able to provide much useful advice, but what I can say is give Rainy Pass Repair a call. They replaced the zipper on a ten year old dead bird jacket that otherwise want ready to give up the ghost. They did great work, they also got a zipper that goes perfectly with the jacket.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 8:33 pm 
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Learn basic sewing skills, buy a $150 basic machine, stick with one needle/thread combo (thicker than home sewing thread, say V33 poly thread/16 needle or V46/18), get familiar with the Seattle Fabric store and mod and fix your sh##. If you get outside much, you'll pay for the machine, etc. in a few seasons.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 10:56 am 
Have you considered using large rubber bands? Or that with the style of that specific jacket that you bought a size too large?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 11:42 am 
hikr wrote:
Has anyone else here tried an alteration like this?
Yes
hikr wrote:
Are there any popular providers of velcro straps who outdoors enthusiasts tend to use for projects like this?
Velcro and other brands of hook & loop tape are available at fabric shops. In the Seattle area, I recommend Seattle Fabric (specializing in outdoor stuff) and Pacific Fabrics (large general inventory). It's an easy peasy project for anyone with basic sewing skills. Be sure to put the strap and patch in the correct place and with the correct orientation per comparing to that TNF piece. Start by pinning and trying before sewing.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 11:54 am 
Also, AFAICT the Gamma LT is made of stretch fabric and cuffs are designed to snug up around wrists per fabric stretch. An easier, simpler and more elegant mod may be to sew a dart or two on each cuff. Experiment with pinning. If it works, the darts can be sewn in a couple minutes.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 4:19 pm 
I would not recommend this for a brand new piece of clothing but I used Iron-On fabric repair material, a little fabric fusing tape, and some hook and loop strips from JoAnn's fabrics and applied some hook and loop on an old Marmot GTX jacket's cuffs myself after the original tabs lost all their "hooks". Took me about $10 and less than 15 minutes to cut and apply with an iron. Works great and I have left over material for at least 5 more jackets. I am out in the mountains a TON but I seem to not destroy gear and clothing so I'll probably have that around for a while. lol.gif PM me and I can send you some images if you are interested. If you aren't into buying a sewing machine and learning to sew, just about any alterations shop can sew something on for a fair price too.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
glenoid

glenoid
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 7:12 pm 
I believe the hook tape on your north face jacket is called "plastic velcro hook cuff tab" or perhaps "magic tape". It can be used without fabric backing to cinch up a cuff with loop tape positioned on the sleeve. It makes for an easy fix to a cuff if you don't have spare fabric. My problem is that I cannot find it at fabric stores. Only velcro brand or other hook and loop fastener tape to be sewed onto fabric are easily found. (I've seen it online, but minimum orders are over 100......) If anyone knows where to get that specific type of hook tape I would like to know where to get it!!