Forum Index > Trip Reports > Yosemite, Bitch! (Part 2!), Sept. 5-9, '18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 6:31 pm 
Yes, I'm late on posting this TR. There's been LOTS going on, to the point of being ridiculous, so anyway I'm finally forcing myself to carve out time to write this. DAY 1: Mono Lake Visitor Center, Epic Café After checking out the valley in spring of last yr., I decided that a late summer trip to Tuolumne Meadows was in order. Limited in waterfalls but plentiful in alpine lks. & craggy pks., there would be much to see in this east-central part of the park. We opted to visit just after LDW in order to have the right combo of nice weather & fewer crowds. 😊 We left on a Wed. AM just after my b-day dinner w/a bunch of friends the night before. Admittedly I had had prolly one too many margs so was a bit hungover for part of the day, but was still excited to be on the road heading north, toward the big mtns. To extend my b-day celebration. We made our way up the 15, stopping briefly in Temecula for coffee/snacks before continuing on up around the outskirts of L.A. & beyond. We hooked up w/the 395 & took another break @ Buttermilk Acres in Ridgecrest, then made our way to Mono Lk. In Lee Vining. We decided to take a quick look @ the MLVC, having arrived just minutes before they closed @ 5pm. Clouds moved in & we rec’d a few sprinkles as we stood on the observation patio @ the back of the VC. The temp had dropped significantly from earlier in the day & the wind had picked up.
Mono Lk.
Mono Lk.
It’d surely get colder as we headed up into the mtns., but 1st we stopped for dinner @ the Epic Café down the rd., a place I’d found in my pre-trip research.
After a nice dinner, we made the big climb up the 120 to Tioga Pass, thru the entrance booth to the park, & on to Tuolumne Meadows CG for this 1st night we’d be staying @ the Backpackers’ Camp, located @ the rear of the regular CG & available on a 1st come, 1st serve basis @ a cheaper price. Thankfully we scored a decent spot just before dark & were able to get our gear mostly set up before needing headlamps. There is temporary parking near the BPers camp where one can schlep gear up the hill, then afterward one must drive back to the main rd. & park on the shoulder. After settling in & making plans for the next day, the camp quieted down & we had a restful night @ 8,600’. DAY 2: Lower Young Lk., 9,883' The next AM we got our gear packed up & drove over to the nearby WC to pick up our o/n permit for Young Lks. Via Glen Aulin. I was feeling the effects of altitude sickness off & on throughout the AM but seemed to adjust pretty well once we got on the trail. After being warned of “@ least one active bear” in the area in which we’d be camping, we were on our way w/our heavy loads. Any food or other smelly items were placed in the bear lockers @ the TH before our departure.
Lembert Dome
Lembert Dome
From the start the views to the south were great, & a few peeps were scattered along the way for photo opps. We headed west on the PCT for awhile, eventually hooking up w/the Glen Aulin trail as it made its way toward the SW ridge of Ragged Pk.
Then, a grouse sighting right along the trail. wub.gif
By late afternoon we made it to Lower Young Lk., & set up camp @ the lake's east end. There was just enough daylight remaining to cook dinner & relax a bit before heading off to bed. smile.gif
DAY 3: Middle & Upper Young Lk., Dog Lk., Lundy Cyn CG The next morning we made quick work of b'fast & then headed further up the trail to visit Middle & Upper Young Lks. Thankfully we went early enough to beat most of the crowds. up.gif Deer near camp:
Amazing reflection on Lower Young Lk.:
Lower Young Lk.
Lower Young Lk.
Lower Young Lk.
Lower Young Lk.
Lower Young Lk.
Lower Young Lk.
Middle Young Lk.:
Upper Young Lk.:
We got back to camp & packed up, since our permit for that area was only good for one night. We worked our way back around Lower Young Lk. & made the long trek back, taking the trail toward Dog Lk. this time, which has a lot of uphill in between the downhill. doh.gif
We crossed a lg. beautiful meadow w/great views to peaks near & far.
Then another, smaller meadow before reaching Dog Lk.
Dog Lk.:
Dog Lk.
Dog Lk.
Dog Lk.
Dog Lk.
Due to our late arrival, all spots in the Backpackers' Camp were taken so we headed down the hill for dinner in Lee Vining @ the BBQ place & then set up @ the CG in Lundy Canyon. It was pitch black which made picking a good campsite a bit of a challenge, but we made it work. dizzy.gif
DAY 4: Cathedral Lks. & Pass Morning camp:
Once again we beat most of the crowds by starting our hike fairly early. The two of us hiked to Lower Cathedral Lk., then I went on to the upper lake & then to the pass before I turned around.
Cathedral Pk.
Cathedral Pk.
Upper Cathedral Lk.:
Upper Cathedral Lk. pano
Upper Cathedral Lk. pano
Upper Cathedral Lk.
Upper Cathedral Lk.
Cathedral Pass:
Then, down the hill once again to LV, where we had dinner @ Nicely's before heading back to camp @ Lundy Cyn. up.gif
Wine
Wine
DAY 5: Lembert Dome We had time for one more little hike before driving home, so we opted for Lembert Dome via the Dog Lk. TH. wink.gif
Lembert Dome
Lembert Dome
Lembert Dome
Lembert Dome
Lembert Dome pano
Lembert Dome pano
Lembert Dome pano
Lembert Dome pano
Lembert Dome
Lembert Dome
We spotted a deer on the hike out:
Lunch/dinner was @ a Mexican restaurant in Bishop. tongue.gif
Schat.net
Schat.net
That concludes Part 2 of Yosemite, Bitch! Perhaps 2019 will bring a Part 3. wink.gif hockeygrin.gif up.gif moon.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message