Forum Index > Gear Talk > Strava vs GAIA
Previous :: Next Topic  
Snuffy

Snuffy

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 5:28 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Has anyone used both as an app?  How would you compare for ease of running tracks, reliability?  My impression is Strava is not as good at backcountry tracks.

--------------
You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek

neek

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm 
Gaia is like a traditional GPS, whereas Strava has a strong social media component and IMO is better for in-town activities such as running and cycling where you mostly want to track your stats.  Much stronger navigation support in Gaia - offline topo maps, trails from the OpenStreetMap project, distance measurement, easy GPX import/export.  Plan routes on caltopo, then import them in Gaia.  Save tracks in Gaia, and analyze them in caltopo.  Many fancy map layers to choose from in the Pro version.

Since they're both simple to use and have free versions, you might as well try both (even simultaneously to be amused at how differently they estimate distance and elevation gain).  Sometimes I'll make a track in Gaia and then import it in Strava when I want my followers (all 3 of them or whatever) to see what I did, without having to write a trip report.  It has a number of competitors you may want to check out as well.

One of the cooler Strava features - a heat map of all user activities that you gives you an idea of where the popular trails are (and therefore what to avoid).

Also check out the Peakbagger app...
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 7:43 pm 
I used both today. Strava is great at tracking and stats, plus sharing with Strava buddies. Gaia is good for hiking but more difficult for tracking.  I use it to see where I am on a map, but not tracking very often. As mentioned, not hard to transfer between them.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Snuffy

Snuffy

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 pm 
Thank you for the comparisons!  I have been using GAIA for about 2 years now and like it, just wondering if Strava with its social feature and other options would work as well in the backcountry or not. Sounds like not?  Accuracy in the backcountry outweighs being social... but I like the idea of transferring, didn't know that was a thing.  smile.gif

--------------
You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 11:34 pm 
One thing to be aware of with Strava is that by default you tracked activity is added to the "Strava heat map"  which allows other Strava users to see that people have been visiting.   So if you are visiting a "sekret" location,  tracking with Strava might give you additional company on future trips.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Strava vs GAIA
  Happy Birthday Roxann, Snow_Knot, SlingShot, DadFly, Bugs!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: