Forum Index > Gear Talk > Strava vs GAIA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 5:28 pm 
Has anyone used both as an app? How would you compare for ease of running tracks, reliability? My impression is Strava is not as good at backcountry tracks.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm 
Gaia is like a traditional GPS, whereas Strava has a strong social media component and IMO is better for in-town activities such as running and cycling where you mostly want to track your stats. Much stronger navigation support in Gaia - offline topo maps, trails from the OpenStreetMap project, distance measurement, easy GPX import/export. Plan routes on caltopo, then import them in Gaia. Save tracks in Gaia, and analyze them in caltopo. Many fancy map layers to choose from in the Pro version. Since they're both simple to use and have free versions, you might as well try both (even simultaneously to be amused at how differently they estimate distance and elevation gain). Sometimes I'll make a track in Gaia and then import it in Strava when I want my followers (all 3 of them or whatever) to see what I did, without having to write a trip report. It has a number of competitors you may want to check out as well. One of the cooler Strava features - a heat map of all user activities that you gives you an idea of where the popular trails are (and therefore what to avoid). Also check out the Peakbagger app...

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 7:43 pm 
I used both today. Strava is great at tracking and stats, plus sharing with Strava buddies. Gaia is good for hiking but more difficult for tracking. I use it to see where I am on a map, but not tracking very often. As mentioned, not hard to transfer between them.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 pm 
Thank you for the comparisons! I have been using GAIA for about 2 years now and like it, just wondering if Strava with its social feature and other options would work as well in the backcountry or not. Sounds like not? Accuracy in the backcountry outweighs being social... but I like the idea of transferring, didn't know that was a thing. smile.gif

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 11:34 pm 
One thing to be aware of with Strava is that by default you tracked activity is added to the "Strava heat map" which allows other Strava users to see that people have been visiting. So if you are visiting a "sekret" location, tracking with Strava might give you additional company on future trips.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Jan 06, 2022 6:31 pm 
Randito wrote:
One thing to be aware of with Strava is that by default you tracked activity is added to the "Strava heat map" which allows other Strava users to see that people have been visiting. So if you are visiting a "sekret" location, tracking with Strava might give you additional company on future trips.
You're going to like this. Today I figured out how to import Strava's heatmap data into Caltopo as a custom layer. Talk about a GAME CHANGER for planning off-trail routes.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 06, 2022 6:41 pm 
Snuffy wrote:
My impression is Strava is not as good at backcountry tracks.
Strava is a workout tracking tool -- Compared to GaiaGPS or CalTopo it decidedly inferior as a navigation tool. I find the GaiaGPS satelite topo map and slope shading layers to be useful for navigating lower risk routes while backcountry skiing. For bicycle touring -- I find the RideWithGPS app to be my app of choice -- particularly for following Randonneuring permanent routes-- the turn by turn instructions sure help reduce "extra mileage".

Fedor