Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 am 
Who uses a vacuum insulated food container on day trips during the winter? I love them. Nothing quite like the look on your buddies' faces when you pull out the hot stew or soup while they choke down some energy bars with cold water for lunch. I prefer this to carrying a stove on day trips. Saves time and a day pack's weight is not going to be oppressive with a hot meal packed inside. I even carry one in on hut trips so I can have a hot lunch. I have an Innate 19oz and a Stanley 24oz that I use. The 19oz fits most cans of soup (non-condensed). The 24oz is for when I bring a little extra to share or I know I'll be hungry. I spice things up with Sambal Oelek/Chili garlic sauce, or loads of cayenne, and that makes it seem even more "warming" when eating it. mmmmmmm chili and garlic

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Oldguy

Oldguy
PostThu Jan 03, 2019 3:40 pm 
I use a Nissan brand but a lot of my co-trail workers swear by the Stanley with the spoon that folds up in a storage place in the lid. Hot soup beats eating a rain soaked sandwich on one of our nasty winter days. Bought a mini slow cooker that holds a can of soup and I let it heat overnight so that in the morning I preheat the thermos with boiling water and I'm set for a well appreciated lunch.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 pm 
I do, so nice to have warm food on a cold day. Not sure the brand without getting up to look but I will carry hot leftovers, mashed plantains with coconut milk, sweet potatoes with bacon, all kinds of yummies!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.