Forum Index > Gear Talk > Load OpenStreetMap onto Garmin GPS
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 am 
I'm trying to load OpenStreetMap onto my Garmin GPSMAP 64s. Reading back through some old threads, I found that this was recommended a number of times: http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-pacific-osm-topo-routable I downloaded the file, but now I can't figure out what to do with it. MapSource and BaseCamp don't seem to recognize the file extension. What's the next step?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:03 pm 
Anyone? Please help!

mike

mike
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 3:59 pm 
I've been using these maps and am very happy. I used the openstreet maps in UK and also all over the western US. The talkietoaster maps are very good in the UK and allow routing while hiking/walking. e.g. most direct route walking from rr station to B&B. FWIW I use Basecamp v4.6.2. I've heard that the new versions do not play well with non-OEM maps so I haven't upgraded. I'm also trying out the OSMAnd+ app on my phone for our spring Scotland trip. So far very happy. Tracks on the trails around here very well but haven't tried the routing yet. The price is certainly right compared to GAIAGPS, etc. Will be hard to beat my Montana though. edit: re: that file you downloaded. Just manually copy it to the gps with your computer. Base camp not needed. edit: I think it's the device that shouldn't be updated not basecamp. Not sure though so I don't update either. ??

call-151

call-151
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 5:25 pm 
Hi Windstorm, The 985MB file has a .7z extension, which is a type of archive file that contains other files inside of it. You need to install a program called 7-Zip to extract the contents. Once this program is installed you can double click on it, and extract the contents to another folder (like C:\GARMIN), then run the batch file called "install_US_Pacific_OSM_Topo.bat". I use Mapsource 6.16.3 and Basecamp 4.6.2 on Windows 10, and this method worked for me for these maps.