Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Out of control Pitbull, Mt Si. (Saturday Jan 12)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 pm 
Guidelines for posting in a dog thread angel.gif You shall make no more than 1 post in a dog thread unless you have posted or replied to a trip report (or photo) since your last visit. Thanking someone for their contribution goes a long way to building and fostering a sense of community!

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:01 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 9:50 am 
My group was coming down and we had a large , fully blind pitbull with us (very well behaved). I was in the lead and there were two girls standing next to a smaller pitbull. One girl said "don't worry , he's just excited." The other girl was holding the pitbulls chest harness with all her might with both hands and nearly sitting on the dog. I passed by and as soon as our Pitbull walked past their smaller pitbull attempted to attack. It was spitting and barking and pulling the girl off balance! The young girl was on her knees and nearly being pulled down the hill as her pit clawed at the dirt while slipping furiously. She was losing grip and panicking as the pit was trying to wiggle free, her pitbull was maybe 50 pounds, and pitbulls are incredibly strong as you may know. She finally gained control and we got past safely. That was not just scary for us, but for her as well (and probably the other 30+ dogs later up the trail). I really wonder what happened if they went to the top because there were LOTS of dogs up there and that Pitbull had no business being up there, completely untrained and undisciplined... If your dog is not ready to be in public take it to a training class. Thanks SOOOO MUCH. Be safe!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 10:41 am 
The Gentle Leader harness let's my daughter-in-law walk their 115 lb Labrador and keep him in control even though she only weighs 125 lbs. Those full body harnesses seem good for towing a sled. They let the dog pull very hard.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 12:51 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Those full body harnesses seem good for towing a sled. They let the dog pull very hard.
Former dog musher reporting in.... ^^^THIS^^^. Pits have a heck of a reputation as weight pull dogs, and I'm talking yanking thousands of pounds. I have no idea why someone would think a harness was better than a collar unless they've had problems with the latter popping off, in which case there are other options.

~Mom jeans on wheels
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 pm 
He's just a fur baby and he should be allowed to explore off leash. Dogs only bite "bad people" according to all the fur mommies here. Saw a similar thing coming down from Pinnacle Peak (Enumclaw) about a year ago. 15 year old or so girl trying to hold back a pitbull that was trying to kill everything it saw. I told her that dog needed to be put to sleep before someone does it for her.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 4:08 pm 
Out of curiosity - why is a harness a poorer choice than a collar for a dog who pull and yanks? Not enough feedback for the dog? I find on my dog (who I keep leashed no matter what as she's too stupid to handle anything else) that the harness allows me a greater degree of control over her whole body but maybe I'm missing something?

reststep

reststep
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 4:20 pm 
I think this quote from the linked web page explains it.
Quote:
Description A dog’s natural instinct is to pull when tension is on the lead, even if they are choking. Because standard collars and harnesses create this tension when owners pull, the dog pulls in the opposite direction. Because the Gentle Leader Headcollar works like a halter, the dog’s head is gently moved in the direction the owner wants it to go. And where the head goes, the body will follow. Because of the placement of the nose loop, the dog immediately understands his/her place in the hierarchy. The dog considers the owner his/her leader. Key Benefits Stops pulling, lunging, jumping, and other unwanted behaviors with immediate, gentle control. Adjustable nose loop allows you to direct your dog’s head in the direction you want to go. Makes it easy for anyone to walk big or strong dogs. Collar sits high on dog’s neck without putting pressure on the throat, places pressure on the back of the neck instead of the front of the delicate throat, preventing choking and coughing. Safe to use on puppies as young as 8 weeks old, can be converted to a regular collar if needed.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 4:22 pm 
Interesting - it's a completely different approach to the one my preferred brand of harness uses, which directs the leaders directional force onto the fronts of the dog-shoulders. Functions the same way but without the risk of obstructing air flow or stressing neck tendons. Probably good cases to be made for both depending on the animal.

neek

neek
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 8:49 pm 
And I saw a bunch near the top of Si today... probably normal but I've never seen them up there before...

in2wtr

in2wtr
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 9:38 pm 
I was attacked by a pit bull today just as my partner and I got down from Mt baldy. Didn’t see anyone all day. As we neared the bridge over silver creek, the dog ran from its owner and charged us from a hundred feet away. It rounded behind us and lept at my backpack almost pushing me off my feet. My partner brought his hiking poles down on its back, bending them. The person with the dog came running having heard us screaming at the dog and apologized but said she was so surprised...never happened before... That was a very aggressive, dangerous dog. Off leash. I was shaken. My mind reeled with other possible scenarios, such as not having poles to use for self defense, or hiking with my young niece or nephew... i wish I had my bear spray. I wonder how the risk of being attacked by a dog compares to an attack by bear or cougar.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 pm 
And yet many Pit Bull owners will swear that "It's not the breed, it's how they are raised-trained"....sure good training helps, but they are genetically predisposed to be aggressive, unpredictable, and physically superior to most breeds making them inherently more dangerous. But of course that's just my opinion..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
And yet many Pit Bull owners will swear that "It's not the breed, it's how they are raised-trained"....sure good training helps, but they are genetically predisposed to be aggressive, unpredictable, and physically superior to most breeds making them inherently more dangerous. But of course that's just my opinion..
Yup. I do know of one that I would trust but his people put a heck of a lot of time and training into him. They kind of inherited him as a puppy from a son. Immediately, they started taking him to dog classes and worked on socializing. He's turned into a big, lazy dog. Unfortunately, I think he is an exception. The Halti for dogs works well. I am noticing that my Slightly Used Dog does not pull much when she is wearing a dog coat. I have no idea why. Dogs can be strange sometimes.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
All the pitbulls I've know have been sweet dogs that wanted to lick people's faces more than anything else. People who want dogs because they like violence aren't getting poodles, they choose big intimidating dogs to mistrain.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 pm 
I had a girlfriend who had a large male pit who had been trained to fight by her son, (she was taking care of him while he was away).....and we bonded well. She said that there were other guy friends of hers that the dog would not let in the house, (Animals typically like me), however I was still a bit nervous around him, thinking if I might have made a wrong move toward his owner or even had a slip I might end up like Roy Horn.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 15, 2019 8:50 am 
The Used Dog, a chocolate lab and lover of most people and very much a lover of children, went berserk over a guy walking our way one time. I'd never seen him act like that, and never did again. It may have been someone who abused him from his early life? I was able to hang onto the leash. What the danger was remains a mystery to me. Never did he act that way again. Just that one guy.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 am 
When I lived in Ballard, my next door neighbor had a pit bull and the guy had some sort of idea to train the dog to be a fighter. But I think the guy had no idea what he was doing as his training regime seemed consist of beating the dog. The dog would snarl through the fence whenever we were in our backyard, making it unusable. It was winter so it wasn't a pressing issue. In retrospect I should have called animal control to report abuse, but this was the '80s and I didn't think of that. Fortunately for me the situation resolved itself in short time when the dog counter attacked his "trainer" and tore him up badly enough for a 911 call and ER visit. Animal control removed the poor animal. Dog behavior is largely a reflection of the skill of the trainer. But if a Yorkshire Terrier is badly trained it is mearly annoying, a Pit Bull, potentially lethal.