Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Out of control Pitbull, Mt Si. (Saturday Jan 12)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 pm 
Guidelines for posting in a dog thread angel.gif You shall make no more than 1 post in a dog thread unless you have posted or replied to a trip report (or photo) since your last visit. Thanking someone for their contribution goes a long way to building and fostering a sense of community!

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:01 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 am 
People's opinion on pit bulls vary wildly. 10 years ago my wife's ear was mangled and she had 20 stitches to her face. My hand was messed up as the dog latched on and wouldn't let go. I ripped it out of his mouth but it left some nasty gouge marks. This was on a walk through a quiet neighborhood on a weekend afternoon. So I personally have a tough time with "the dog wasn't trained right"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 16, 2019 11:50 am 
I have an orange female cat that will attack you for no apparent reason and no warning, maybe she has some Pit blood? Common denominator is mental problems, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 pm 
I know people love their dogs, but they simply do not belong in the Wilderness, and unleashed dogs for sure do not belong, especially a pit bull. Most of my run-ins with Pit-Bull dogs (yes, I'll call them that) have been in the low lands. But also not surprising to see them on the I-90 hikes along with the hordes.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm 
Joseph wrote:
but they simply do not belong in the Wilderness, and unleashed dogs for sure do not belong
Historical note: The 1964 wilderness act would not have passed without the support of hunters that used dogs as part of the hunt. Other notes: Trails along I-90 west and near the crest have dogs on leash policy and less popular trails farther east only require dogs to be "under control" except hyper popular destinations where dogs are prohibited. I think the USFS has set the policies about right. I think most of the conflict arises from "pet parents" that have no concept of proper dog behavior and training.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Any animal can be unpredictable
up.gif
Of course that includes humans.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:45 pm 
Kind of reminds me of the old sailors quip when asked which ocean is more unpredictable Atlantic or Pacific? First answer was Pacific then on consideration the old sailor changed to Atlantic, saying the Pacific is lousy most all the time.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 1:02 pm 
Joseph wrote:
I know people love their dogs, but they simply do not belong in the Wilderness, and unleashed dogs for sure do not belong,...
^ This! Absolutely! And I have no issue whatever with any dog being "dispatched" during such an encounter. There is absolutely NO excuse for such behavior! I tolerate well behaved dogs, but don't particularly like 'em, mainly due to their unpredictable nature.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
neek

neek
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 2:19 pm 
moonspots wrote:
And I have no issue whatever with any dog being "dispatched" during such an encounter.
Is your claim that it's OK to shoot a dog that lunges at another dog, as described in the original post? Just respectfully trying to understand what's being argued here. Feel free to respond in the appropriate thread.
moonspots wrote:
I tolerate well behaved dogs, but don't particularly like 'em, mainly due to their unpredictable nature.
Yeah, I hate it when I can't predict the ways in which they might behave well...

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 7:40 am 
Yeah, it's a pretty sad state when people honestly think it's ok to kill another sentient being for annoying them. Or getting a bit of mud on their leg... Like the jerk that shot the neighbor dog through the fence because it was barking. Ugh. Deep breaths all around.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 12:43 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Yeah, it's a pretty sad state when people honestly think it's ok to kill another sentient being for annoying them. Or getting a bit of mud on their leg... Like the jerk that shot the neighbor dog through the fence because it was barking. Ugh. Deep breaths all around.
None of the above mentioned "reasons" are valid, nor are they what I referred to. If you can't/won't read with comprehension, then please do not respond with drivel. And we're not discussing "beings" here, they are dogs.... which can maim (and even kill) people. And when they are not under complete control (if that's actually possible), in order to eliminate that possibility, then THAT is the problem, and why they are not allowed in some areas, for good reason.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 8:54 pm 
There's an anthropocentric view. Anyway, my wife and I, and our non-beings (leashed), enjoyed a hike to Granite Lakes today. Far more crowded than I've ever seen it in the past. Probably thanks to the new trailhead and "improved" cutoff trail that links to the old road grade.

Chico

Chico
PostSun Jan 20, 2019 2:13 am 
Don't normally chime in on dog threads but... Many many moons ago (born in 1976) I had a male Golden Retriever/Lab mix. He was in fact MY first dog even though we had dogs and other animals growing up. He was as sweet as could be with people but had an intense hatred for other dogs other than his mate, a female Golden Retriever 3 years younger. When out walking the two I had to cross the street and hang on to both with all my strength as he would strain at the leash to go after to the dog. The female would follow his lead so there I was trying to control two large dogs. On one walk I had both off lead as we were up a logging road. The male either heard or smelled another dog as he and the female took off like a rocket. When I finally caught up he had his mouth in the other dogs's mouth such that his upper incisors where biting into the dogs cheek. I was able to get him to release and upon doing so it was obvious he had left a gash. I of course apologized and the other dog's owner said it was okay. Can't remember if I offered to pay any Vet bill. This was the only time he had a run-in with another dog. I knew he was dog aggressive so took steps. My sister would bring her dog over and they were fine together. He didn't much care for the neighbors either, barking at them in the back yard. One who was a local cop I think accused him of lunging at them such that I had to further fence off that corner of the yard. So again he was the sweetest dog with people in general. Extremely intelligent as well, probably the smartest dog I've had (out of very many) or met. No idea as to the reason for his aggression.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 am 
Joseph wrote:
I know people love their dogs, but they simply do not belong in the Wilderness, and unleashed dogs for sure do not belong
Your opinion has been duly noted and filed appropriately.
Goodstuff
Goodstuff

pula58

pula58
PostMon Jan 21, 2019 8:53 am 
Mt Si is a state park and all dogs must be leashed at all times. Now, what part of that sentence do some dog owners not understand? It doesn't matter what breed of dog, keep it leashed. Frankly, I think the only solution (which is of course impossible due to not enough $$ funds) would be to place rangers on the trail and hand out tickets when a dog is unleashed. Then, word will get out that people are being fined and then, finally, most of the dog owners will finally keep their dogs leashed in areas where it is required by law.