Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Out of control Pitbull, Mt Si. (Saturday Jan 12)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 pm 
Guidelines for posting in a dog thread angel.gif You shall make no more than 1 post in a dog thread unless you have posted or replied to a trip report (or photo) since your last visit. Thanking someone for their contribution goes a long way to building and fostering a sense of community!

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:01 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 am 
pula58 wrote:
Mt Si is a state park and all dogs must be leashed at all times. Now, what part of that sentence do some dog owners not understand? It doesn't matter what breed of dog, keep it leashed. Frankly, I think the only solution (which is of course impossible due to not enough $$ funds) would be to place rangers on the trail and hand out tickets when a dog is unleashed. Then, word will get out that people are being fined and then, finally, most of the dog owners will finally keep their dogs leashed in areas where it is required by law.
The incident as described in the OP was a non-injury incident where some people felt uncomfortable with the behavior of an on-leash dog. Considering how many assaults by humans on humans go unprosecuted in the city and suburbs-- it's hard for me to imagine law enforcement personnel burning up their time ticketing leash law scofflaws. Bear spray or anti dog pepper sprays used by cyclists (e.g. "Halt!") seem like effective measures of self protection for dealing with an unruly cur and a pet parent that has no clue about proper dog behavior and training.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:14 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
The incident as described in the OP was a non-injury incident where some people felt uncomfortable with the behavior of an on-leash dog
Yeah... and I have had incidents where I've been like give me a second, and the person passing is like f' that! I'm not stopping and they come charging through... my dog will sometimes jump on people when hes on leash, especially trail runners that barge through without slowing, but not off leash so I prefer to move out of range. I wonder what would have happened if the people having a hard time with this dog would have been given the benefit of doubt... and more space. Hey Friend, I see you are having a hard time. I can move off the trail down more here and you can pass. Good Luck! Maybe this was this dogs first hike and it was tired and insecure.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 9:35 am 
Um, yeah. The owners of the dog aparrently had it restrained (which btw makes MANY dogs get rather edgy about other dogs, trained or not trained...). It took a few moments for everyone to get it together and feel safe enough to pass. On a crowded trail where it often takes a few moments to let huge groups pass btw - so the stopping for a moment is par for the Si-on-weekend course. That dog has no business being unleashed on a trail like that, and from all appearances here, it wasn't. Seems like more or less a non-event to me unless there's something significant I missed here... Whereas several times through the decades we've had dogs run up to our dog with owners saying "he's/she's friendly" and the supposedly friendly dog goes into full attack mode for some reason on our dog. That's a problem, but it's not what I'm seeing here. It's a public space and if people are properly restraining a dog that may have some fear/aggression issues then they in fact ARE training the dog (via exposure, hard to know if they're also doing the other steps a good behaviorist would suggest) and they're preventing their dog from injuring anyone or their dog. That's pretty good on the Mt Si weekend hike scale...

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 am 
Stop saying "many moons," it isn't cute and I don't have patience for it anymore.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 pm 
Grow some.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
brewermd

brewermd
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 pm 
I am confused by your statement and can't tell if you are trying to be funny. I have been following this thread and went back through the four pages and there was one...ONE.."many many moons". Is this an ongoing problem I am unaware of?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 12:56 pm 
Idiom police out to enforce their religion's blasphemy code. And dead serious about it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 3:00 pm 
Yes, I am policing your offensive remarks. Using terms you think are innocuous but are actually offensive is pretty natural and human. I kept saying "handicapped parking" until someone with a brain corrected me. We can all change for the better, and not everyone telling you to change is a personal attack or an attack on your politics. It's not a religion to want to be accommodating and understanding of other people and their lives. The fact that you can't see that, that you literally don't believe you should have to consider your impacts on others is troubling. The fact that that attitude seems to be pervasive these days is even worse. Do you realize that what you are saying is "I am not responsible for anything I cause." Is that lack of responsibility something you're striving for? Working on? Is that growth to you? I'll grow patience if you can grow some empathy. Also don't forget who's land you're on.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 3:34 pm 
You're being accommodating to some, based upon your own beliefs, and as a result, unaccommodating to others...based upon your beliefs. You're discriminating between the two with full intent using your religion as a basis. Not everyone telling someone else to change is an attack on politics or religion..until the change demand is *based* on one or the other, and yours is both. Your argument is comes from a desire to have an impact, and you're only considering those impacts you want to consider beneficial to your favored group. I'm offended by *your* remarks...so where does that leave us? For you to make an essentially religious, normative and subjective claim of whose offense is more important? Here is where the offense selectivity begins, isn't it. It is entirely legitimate to have an 'impact' from free speech, there is no right to not be 'impacted' by mere speech. You choose your emotions because you choose what you value, then attach emotion to that. I take full responsibility for what I *actually* cause. I caused my words. I did not cause your choices. Your choice of values and emotions is not one of those things. No one else is responsible for someone's choice of values, and therefore, feelings. I own my arguments, and *you* own your feelings. I'm stuffed to the brim with empathy. What empathy does not include is simply going along with lousy arguments or mistaken, damn near inverted, claims of how responsibility works. I'm on the land taken from some indigenes who took it from other indigenes who took it from still others, and so on. All of whom asserted the exact same principle....the power to do so.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 3:47 pm 
Hey, did any of you read the wiki? Amazing how much energy is wasted on threads like this while value added contributions go unappreciated. Is this the type of community you want to build?

mudgirl40

mudgirl40
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 5:23 pm 
Quote:
You're being accommodating to some, based upon your own beliefs, and as a result, unaccommodating to others...based upon your beliefs. You're discriminating between the two with full intent using your religion as a basis. Not everyone telling someone else to change is an attack on politics or religion..until the change demand is *based* on one or the other, and yours is both. Your argument is comes from a desire to have an impact, and you're only considering those impacts you want to consider beneficial to your favored group. I'm offended by *your* remarks...so where does that leave us? For you to make an essentially religious, normative and subjective claim of whose offense is more important? Here is where the offense selectivity begins, isn't it. It is entirely legitimate to have an 'impact' from free speech, there is no right to not be 'impacted' by mere speech. You choose your emotions because you choose what you value, then attach emotion to that. I take full responsibility for what I *actually* cause. I caused my words. I did not cause your choices. Your choice of values and emotions is not one of those things. No one else is responsible for someone's choice of values, and therefore, feelings. I own my arguments, and *you* own your feelings. I'm stuffed to the brim with empathy. What empathy does not include is simply going along with lousy arguments or mistaken, damn near inverted, claims of how responsibility works. I'm on the land taken from some indigenes who took it from other indigenes who took it from still others, and so on. All of whom asserted the exact same principle....the power to do so.
There's so much common sense in this post. I'm keeping this for future use for conversations with the "I'm so offended crowd" Brilliant!

Can't we all just get along?
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:09 pm 
There's even more common sense in this one up.gif
Tom wrote:
Hey, did any of you read the wiki? Amazing how much energy is wasted on threads like this while value added contributions go unappreciated. Is this the type of community you want to build?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:11 pm 
Cambajamba, the problem is that you are telling others to stop using offensive terms without explaining why they are offensive. I've never heard of many moons being an offensive phrase. Give people room to learn.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 9:21 pm 
Tom wrote:
Hey, did any of you read the wiki?
Yes - I posted photos before and after my contribution here biggrin.gif Oops, I guess I gotta post another one now...

brewermd

brewermd
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 am 
I am jumping back in here because I feel I started all this by asking a simple question which turned out not to be so simple. After I read Cambajamba's first post I was confused and thought it was the repetition he/she was offended by so I went back and re-read the entire thread. Then when I was informed by Mtngoat what was (in his/her opinion) the actual problem I spent time looking at the etymology for the phrase "many moons" and did not find any thing that would lead me to believe that it is offensive to most. That said, I teach and have about 75 different students each quarter so I have learned over the years that what one finds offensive is not necessarily what all would find offensive. I have also learned that everyone's feelings are unique and important. That said, I agree with fourteen410, CambaJamba could use this opportunity to explain and educate why this phrase might be considered offensive. While it is not a phrase that I would normally use, I welcome the opportunity to learn. That is all and now I need to right a trip report or 20 (I am really bad about sharing).