Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Out of control Pitbull, Mt Si. (Saturday Jan 12)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 pm 
Guidelines for posting in a dog thread angel.gif You shall make no more than 1 post in a dog thread unless you have posted or replied to a trip report (or photo) since your last visit. Thanking someone for their contribution goes a long way to building and fostering a sense of community!

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:01 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 11:53 am 
It perpetuates the myth that native people have a primitive culture. It reminds people of native descent that they are seen as inferior or primitive to the ruling class. It perpetuates the stereotype that native people speak simply, or differently from american culture at large. It recalls a legacy of borrowing tropes and symbols from native culture to advance the outdoor culture of "american" youth at summer camps during the formative decades of the 20th century, while at the same time teaching limited or outright incorrect information and history surrounding the wholesale genocide committed against native people BY OUR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. In so many ways I don't have time to educate on, it reminds me that what could have been my proud heritage is instead a source of constant misunderstanding and ridicule. In the way my Irish, Italian, or Dutch or Practically Anywhere Else peers celebrate their culture in parades, festivals, official holidays, etc - when indigenous people attempt the same thing it's somehow this divisive political thing instead of a celebration. What, like what the hell did we do to deserve this, STILL, after all these years? Didn't die out? Aren't being killed by racist bureaucracy and poverty fast enough? Also how disgusting that some people think that Power with a capital P is the only thing that drives change. Know who else thought that? "It is blood which moves the wheels of history." - Benito Mussolini (not a good role model)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 12:29 pm 
Many, many moons ago, mankind was not so easily offended, they had bigger issues to worry about...like where there next meal would come from.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
It perpetuates the myth that native people have a primitive culture. It reminds people of native descent that they are seen as inferior or primitive to the ruling class. It perpetuates the stereotype that native people speak simply, or differently from american culture at large.
But how? You haven't specified how the phrase "many moons" does any of the above. Humans have used the moon to measure time for tens of thousands of years, so I don't understand why this is offensive to Native Americans in particular. My mind is open, but you have to explain before you shame.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 1:20 pm 
Seriously? By even existing as a common part of speech it reinforces these concepts in your mind. If you can't grasp such a simple concept I don't know how to help you, I'm not an educator, I'm just a person trying to live my life without being reminded constantly that I'm perceived as a second class citizen by a large portion of our population - even if they themselves don't realize they see it that way. I'm tired and lost and have no hope for the future. I have been a part of this community for awhile and like a lot of communities that we built over the past decade(s) it's been tearing itself apart. An author once remarked that it is a terrible thing to find something out about a friend. Things you are told are curated, easy. Things you find out can be shocking. I found out over the past two years how a lot of my "peers" in the outdoor community think and feel about nature, each other, and who has a right to what kind of experience and I'm disgusted. This forum tolerates hate speech and consists of loud voices that condone it explicitly. I've spoken with other members who have left and I'm sorry to anyone who ever found value in my voice - but I'm done here. I wish I'd done what you all wanted in the first place and kept my mouth shut.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 2:00 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
But how? You haven't specified how the phrase "many moons" does any of the above. Humans have used the moon to measure time for tens of thousands of years, so I don't understand why this is offensive to Native Americans in particular. My mind is open, but you have to explain before you shame.
Fourteen410, you are not to question these things, don't you know? Just accept the words as revealed truth, without any real explanation. Anything short of that and you are a "hater". lol. Quite ironic the earlier poster referenced Mussolini: the fascists manipulated language, and insisted on blind loyalty to them, a black and white mentality outside of which there is no compromise. i.e. fascism.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 2:33 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
I'm tired and lost and have no hope for the future.
Well, when you shame others for not understanding you but don't provide information to educate them, you have no one to blame but yourself. This could have been a learning moment for others, most of whom I imagine also don't know why the phrase "many moons" is offensive. But instead you shut that opportunity down by refusing to listen to the other side and bowing out when you couldn't find an explanation. Stop being a victim and start empowering yourself by educating others.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 2:48 pm 
Hey how 'bout them Mariners! up.gif Edgar finally got his due, hey? up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 5:02 pm 
FWIW I've read the term "many moons" described on a list of terms created by native Americans who were describing terms they saw as pejorative. In this case they described it as implying a mix of laziness and use of "pidgin" English. Since I'd like to try to avoid offending people unnecessarily it's a term I'll therefore avoid using. I realize that this could be a slippery slope wherein we could grant everyone the ability to write up such lists and soon all phrases would be eliminated from use, but I don't see this as a case of falling down that slope. YMMV

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 5:23 pm 
joker wrote:
FWIW I've read the term "many moons" described on a list of terms created by native Americans who were describing terms they saw as pejorative. In this case they described it as implying a mix of laziness and use of "pidgin" English. Since I'd like to try to avoid offending people unnecessarily it's a term I'll therefore avoid using. I realize that this could be a slippery slope wherein we could grant everyone the ability to write up such lists and soon all phrases would be eliminated from use, but I don't see this as a case of falling down that slope. YMMV
Thank you for sharing this info. This is all I was asking cambajamba to do.

Damian

Damian
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:30 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
This forum tolerates hate speech
Well that's really not true. If a post is in question please notify a moderator.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 8:22 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Good deal. Hoping to see him on his roving coaching job this spring at Cheney. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 8:29 pm 
FWIW: In both the Jewish and Islamic calendars months align perfectly with moon phases (i.e. each month starts with the new moon). The Jewish calendar is a Hybrid between lunar and solar and includes a "leap month" inserted periodically so that the Passover holiday always occurs during the spring. The Islamic calendar is fully lunar, which is challenging in higher latitudes when Ramadan falls near the summer solstice and the number of hours of daylight and thus fasting is very long. The phrase "many moons ago" entered English usage after a pirate was stranded with the Kuna peoples in the 17th century for a time and was included in his journals when he returned to England. I suppose first people's might consider usage by persons of European ancestry to be cultural appropriation.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 9:07 pm 
I suspect current usage (and reaction to it) has more to do with portrayal of native Americans/first peoples in various westerns (movie genre) over multiple decades than anything else, though the etymology is nonetheless interesting.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 9:12 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Edgar deserved to be in the Hall on the basis of his numbers against Mariano Rivera, the best relief pitcher in the history of the game! It's fitting that Edgar and Mariano Rivera are going into the HOF at the same time. Here is Edgar's first 15 Plate Appearances vs Mariano: Home run Single Walk Home run Strikeout Double Single Single Double Double Intentional walk Reached on error Hit by pitch Single Single Slash line of .833/.867/1.583/2.450! Lifetime Edgar was 10 of 16 with 2 Homers and 6 RBIs. Good thing MO didn't face Edgar more often or he might not be in the HOF! lol I'm ecstatic Edgar Finally made it. Richly deserved. Best right handed hitter of his generation. But really, it should not have taken so Many Moons for him to be selected. clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 am 
joker wrote:
I suspect current usage (and reaction to it) has more to do with portrayal of native Americans/first peoples in various westerns (movie genre) over multiple decades than anything else, though the etymology is nonetheless interesting.
No doubt vocalized at some point in some cornball western television broadcast by Michael Ansara, a man of Lebanese descent, wearing heavy makeup.
Chief Joseph wrote:
Edgar deserved to be in the Hall on the basis of his numbers against Mariano Rivera, the best relief pitcher in the history of the game!
Why did it take so long to get Mister Ice-Water-in-His-Veins Mariano Rivera inducted? Respectfully, there's far too much butthurt here, especially in light of this argument about some moronic phrase perpetuated by clueless Hollywood screenwriters. Maybe I should take great umbrage at the depictions of my Norwegian ancestors wearing horned helmets (an invention of the set and costume designers of Richard Wagner's operas) and spending their entire working careers raping, pillaging, and plundering? Jesus Christ people... get over it already.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."