Forum Index > Trip Reports > sourdough mtn 1.13.19
Previous :: Next Topic  
rubywrangler

rubywrangler

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 5:12 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
BrushBuffalo wrote:
no Ruby- dog along?

Yes, Ruby could not join since we were in the park.  She enjoyed the sunny weekend from our patio in Fremont though. So it is with utter devastation that I have to let you know that Ruby passed away yesterday. She'd been slowing down recently due to old-dog problems that seemed like arthritis, but on Wednesday her back legs stopped working completely. She spent that night at the hospital and on Thursday morning pathology revealed that a particularly aggressive brand of leukemia had taken hold since her last blood test in November.  Given her age and other complications, they expected intense chemotherapy would only buy her two months, and with questionable quality of life. Without treatment, she would only have a day or two before extreme suffering began. So, she went peacefully at home last night with the help of 'Peaceful Pet Transitions'.

I'm consoling myself reminiscing about our past adventures and misadventures. Like when we accidentally wandered off-route in the north cascades on the first weekend of October years ago, and she kept me warm during an unplanned overnight with no overnight gear.  And when she stole a whole sandwich right out of someone's hands at Green Mountain lookout. (Foist, sorry about your wife's lunch... Rubyís manners improved over time wink.gif ) A lot of people have commented on how lucky she was to have me and how great of a life I gave her, but I got as much as I gave, or more. I won the dog lottery when I adopted Ruby. She was the best. Ruby

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gimpilator

Gimpilator

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 5:59 pm 
Very sorry to hear the news.  That is heart-breaking.

--------------
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=25744
http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ClimbListC.aspx?cid=2650&sort=elevft&u=ft&j=-1&y=9999

Keep climbing mountains and don't slip!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brushwork
Know your complex

Brushwork

Know your complex
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 6:17 pm 
I am so sorry to hear of Ruby's passing.   That must be hard.   You've had some really amazing trips with her.

The other day I talked with a man who had just lost his dog.   I was really touched when he told me he had instructed all of his previous dogs who had passed on to be there to greet the most recent one.  (The dogs were also instructed to be there for their owner when it was his time).   

Having lost a few cats, I empathize.

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
dicey
custom title

dicey

custom title
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 6:20 pm 
Dang...so sorry!
Seems you both were lucky to have each other.
I'm happy I got to meet her, and you.

--------------
I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 6:38 pm 
So sorry for your loss.  Definitely don't worry about the sandwich, neither of us even remembers that.  smile.gif
kitya

kitya

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 8:03 pm 
I'm sorry about your loss, we will always remember Ruby!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 8:41 pm 
Oh my gosh, RW,  I am saddened to hear this news.  My sincere condolences.  I so enjoyed the many photos you have shared with us of your outings together.  You two were most fortunate to have each other.  All the best...   frown.gif     ~z
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 9:42 pm 
Oh my, very sorry to hear about Ruby, Megan.  Your portfolio of your adventures with her is delightful...thanks for allowing  us to see that.
Thanks for your informative and  inspiring trip reports with Ruby.
You will surely have other fine pets, unique in their way, but you will not likely have another gem....Ruby!

Without intending to be trite,

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it [ Ruby] happened."

--------------
Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 9:45 pm 
Ruby looks like she was a grand trail buddy.  Thanks for sharing the album.  I had to "decide" about my dog in a similar way many years ago, it was awful.  But I was also fortunate to have found a vet who did home euthanasia (he hated going to the vet).  You both were lucky to have found each other.  So sorry for your loss.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
rubywrangler

rubywrangler

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 7:52 pm 
Thanks everyone. She truly was a gem.
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 8:02 pm 
Megan, Iím so sorry you lost your beloved furry friend and partner in so many memorable adventures. Thankfully, you have lots of wonderful pictures to remember her by and help ease the pain of her loss.
MtnManic

MtnManic

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 9:09 pm 
My condolences as well.  It hurts to lose your buddies (cat owner who has lost 2 but has fond memories).

--------------
Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time.  Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
geyer

geyer

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 12:30 pm 
Aww so sorry about Ruby, Megan! I'm going to miss your videos of her rolling around in the snow  frown.gif
contour5

contour5

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 1:09 pm 
So sorry to hear of Ruby's passing.

I remember her coming into my camp at Cyclone tarns, and sitting on the rock next to me, more like another person than a dog. No begging or sniffing after my food... we just sat side by side and surveyed the scene together for a few pleasant moments. Ruby was an exceptionally polite and intelligent dog.

Cool trip report; Sourdough and Stetattle are a fantastic place to ramble.
RichP

RichP

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 am 
Sorry to hear about Ruby. It looks like she had a great dog's life though.

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > sourdough mtn 1.13.19
Jump to:   
Search this topic: