Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > This Soil Will Find It's Way Into The Wilderness
Previous :: Next Topic  
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 1:31 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
"The novel approach, known as ďrecomposition,Ē involves placing bodies in a vessel and hastening their decomposition into a nutrient-dense soil that can then be returned to families"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/washington-could-become-first-state-legalize-human-composting-n952421

--------------
Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Windstorm

Windstorm

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 2:16 pm 
Is it a problem if that soil finds its way into the wilderness? It already happens to some extent when people go missing and aren't found for a few years.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 16, 2019 4:24 pm 
$5500 seems a bit pricey,  especially since "green burial" (no embalming, cotton shroud, no vault) typically costs $2000. Most cemeteries with a Jewish section already allow such burials as Jewish tradition requires that nothing interfere with the natural decomposition of the body (dust to dust).

No mention in the article about the weight of compost produced, but they mention the composting chamber is a 10 foot long 5 foot diameter cylinder-- which sounds like a lot of compost for your executor to haul on their back.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostWed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 pm 
I love the quote about how people are excited to become a tree!
Kascadia

Kascadia

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 12:28 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
$5500 seems a bit pricey,  especially since "green burial" (no embalming, cotton shroud, no vault) typically costs $2000. Most cemeteries with a Jewish section already allow such burials as Jewish tradition requires that nothing interfere with the natural decomposition of the body (dust to dust).

Burial and composting are 2 different processes.  Burial results in an anaerobic process, little heat is generated (sterilization), it is slow, and "putrid" odors (sulfur, for instance) are generated.  Composting is an aerobic process which generates large amounts of heat (sterilization), has little odor, and is relatively quick.  It also requires some work (if it's not automated).  You can compost livestock "in the open" without a predation problem if done correctly.  Two very different types of bacteria, micro flora/fauna involved.

You learn about such things when you have animals that generate 50 lbs poop/day. . . and 1,000 lb bodies. . .

To be reincarnated as a tree!  Location, location, location!

--------------
It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying:
Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 pm 
Washington (or at least Seattle) has pretty strict emissions control rules around cremation;  so I don't see it as a problem, and probably the most affordable funeral for some.  I discovered this the year my dog died - I knew the local vet had a cremation oven, but when I contacted him was told that he no longer did them because he couldn't afford the pollution control retrofit that was now required.  So I took my old pal to the Humane Society facility near Eastgate, which did individual cremations for an affordable price (this was in '94).  Got him back in a very nice tin with a metal heart wreath on top.  Scattered most of his ashes in one of his favorite places, and kept a bit to put in a potted sequoia that I made into bonsai.  This new thing seems faddish and a way to separate "green" fanatics from more of their money. To each his own. rolleyes.gif

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek

neek

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 4:13 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
This new thing seems faddish and a way to separate "green" fanatics from more of their money.

You think that's a racket, try $200K for full body cryo.  Even so, I'm not sure what we gain by making fun of people's after-death preferences.  Or those who want a slightly smaller carbon footprint even though it will make no difference in the end.
neek

neek

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 5:31 pm 
Ran across an article in the NYT (paywall) and recalled this thread.

Could Trees Be the New Gravestones?

You pick out a tree, and your ashes help fertilize it...

Again, I think how families choose to handle end-of-life scenarios is entirely personal, but a few quotes from this article are worth thinking about:

Quote:
Death comes for all of us, but Silicon Valley has, until recently, not come for death.

Well, that's a lie.  Silicon Valley idiots are notorious for trying to live forever while watching the rest of the world die of preventable causes.

Quote:
And so Mr. Gibsonís company is buying forests, arranging conservation easements intended to prevent the land from ever being developed, and then selling people the right to have their cremated remains mixed with fertilizer and fed to a particular tree.

You know, I go hiking all the time, and come across some really nice trees.  For a few bucks...

Quote:
When the tree dies, Better Place says it will plant a new one at that same spot. But a redwood can live 700 years, and almost all start-ups in Silicon Valley fail...

Put me under a bristlecone please.  I'm sure someone will plant a new one when it dies.  On second thought, since it's $30,000 for a redwood and $3000 for a "less desirable species," I'll take slide alder.

Quote:
Ms. Pfund also sees these forests as a way to monetize conservation. Actively managing a forest is expensive, so much so that financially strained state park systems are having to turn down gifts of land. Conservation easements, an agreement between an organization and the government to preserve land, have become more popular as a solution.

Hmmm... I guess I can get behind that to some extent, but the phrase "monetize conservation" just doesn't sit well.

Anyway, prepare for disruption.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar

Living The Dream
PostFri Jun 21, 2019 9:39 pm 
What an odd way to make more money I have to think. Both my parents were cremated and I spread their ashes in separate places after a few years of their ashes judging me in the laundry room. Spreading ashes meant they went from human to dust in my eyes. Somewhere, they became part of the Earth once again.

--------------
https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
alpendave
Cat Herder

alpendave

Cat Herder
PostSat Jun 22, 2019 9:08 am 
Bear, coyotes , cougars, and other critters can be used as well. Or crustaceans and sharks if you prefer😊

--------------
Like a ray of sunshine in a drought stricken land.

What we do does far more than what we think others ought to do. Inspiration is a far greater power for good than coercion. In your own life, show others the good that you wish to see in the world.
Adohrn

Adohrn

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 2:19 pm 
Hey AlpenDave how much are you charging to feed to me a particular great white in comparison to a less desirable nerf shark.  smile.gif
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 10:28 am 
One of the questions on their cost estimate form is 'have you set aside savings for your memorial?', I'm not thinking this is a standard question for the other methods smile.gif Pricing *starting* at $3K - $16K+ for something a determined person could accomplish in the sub-$1K price range... the number of new trees planted ranges from 20 - 400 depending on which package you shell out for, they should push these numbers up since their partner states that each tree costs $1.03 - $1.77:

https://onetreeplanted.org/pages/faq#pb-content-cc194b60-c620-49ee-ba70-00eacfd9d6f6
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > This Soil Will Find It's Way Into The Wilderness
  Happy Birthday walkingstick, silly_traveler, Grannyhiker!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: