Forum Index > Trip Reports > Four hikes/scrambles in Joshua Tree National Park - January, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 am 
Listed in the order that I would do them if I only had a limited time to spend in the park. 1. Wonderland of Rocks Last March Denali Girl, BarbE, Snow Dog and I met Star Dancer in the Wonderland of Rocks as we were coming down off of Valhalla Dome and looping out through the wonderland... she has been exploring Joshua Tree National Park for more than 20 years and two days after we met her she took us to a area in the wonderland that she referred to as Shangrila... just an awesome place. A couple of days ago Denali Girl reconnected with Star Dancer and she offered to guide us back into the wonderland on one of her favorite loop trips... suffice to say, we jumped at the opportunity and were not disappointed. We started from the southern end of the wonderland... entering at the Bagley homestead (aka Wonderland Ranch) and exiting at the southern end of the wonderland at the Wall Street Stamp Mill... leaving less than a mile trail hike back to the car. A 4.2 mile hike/scramble, gaining 700 feet of elevation. IMO, anything in the Wonderland of Rocks would be at the top of my park list of hikes. Photos and trailhead directions of our trip in the Wonderland of Rocks. 2. Split Rock Loop and the "Cling or Fling Corridor" Denali Girl and I cut off part of the loop trail by scrambling through the "Cling or Fling Corridor" which is located near the beginning of the hike. Awesome rock formations in this area and lots of them... felt like a minature "Wonderland of Rocks". The corridor is similar to the "Hall of Horrors" in difficulty... but much easier than the "Chasm of Doom". 1.6 mile loop, gaining 365 feet of elevation. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our Split Rock Loop trip. 3. Pine City, Point 4875 and Point 4769 A nice out-and-back hike to fun rock formations... no city, but quite a few pine trees. Point 4769 sits above Pine City and overlooks Pine City Canyon. I did Point 4875 on the way back to the car. Broad views from both points. 5.7 miles roundtrip, gaining 950 feet of elevation. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our trip to Pine City. 4. Point 4627 and Point 4336 in The Maze Two short, but very fun scrambles in the maze area of the park. 2.6 miles roundtrip, gaining 900 feet of elevation. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of my scramble in the Maze. ...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 6:28 am 
Very pretty

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:20 pm 
I'm envious. These days, I can only look, but it's nice to know that people I've known can still get out there and do it, in places I'd like to be. ..... As always, your report from the Rocks is 'the next best thing'.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!