Forum Index > Trip Reports > PCT WA K - Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass in 8 days
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Katinka

Katinka
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 6:42 pm 
Thanks to all! <3 Solo has its outward hazards but huge inner rewards! I wrote up my knee miracle as a short piece of creative non-fiction and am going to try to get it published. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Feb 17, 2019 9:24 pm 
I am a woman. I love hiking, and I love wildlife - but also harbor no qualms about removing them if need be. Took rural living to teach me that simple lesson in life* *Having said that, bear is not something I desire to hunt nor eat - it's too human like once the pelt is removed, and is far too greasy. There is a reason certain areas for hiking have hunting seasons though - like where we live, just across the street they close it down for a number of weeks in late fall/early winter to take deer. The deer are so thick here they run into cars nearly daily in fall. Hunting keeps the numbers manageable, so they don't starve/die of disease. In some areas black bear numbers are vast. Allowing a few to be harvested isn't the worse thing that can happen. However, bear hunting isn't easy - and most are not bringing one back. Question is....did they bother you, did that they were hunting bother you, or was it that they had rifles that really bothered? And yeah, they were goofing with you - of course they said patronizing stuff, because they knew you'd get huffy......I am sure they got a huge laugh after it and labeled you a "City Slicker Liberal". You know it's just simple human nature and comedic writing in that. I carry when I hike, but I don't open carry and being a short woman, no one gives it heed. Once had a backwoods gent apologize to me on a remote section of the PCT if his open carry cowboy pistol scared me - being that I was alone. I flashed him mine and he smiled back. And off I went. Mine was bigger, but hey....... At least I didn't get labeled a city slicker. So there was that.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 10:49 am 
sarbar wrote:
I am a woman. I love hiking, and I love wildlife - but also harbor no qualms about removing them if need be. Took rural living to teach me that simple lesson in life* *Having said that, bear is not something I desire to hunt nor eat - it's too human like once the pelt is removed, and is far too greasy. There is a reason certain areas for hiking have hunting seasons though - like where we live, just across the street they close it down for a number of weeks in late fall/early winter to take deer. The deer are so thick here they run into cars nearly daily in fall. Hunting keeps the numbers manageable, so they don't starve/die of disease. In some areas black bear numbers are vast. Allowing a few to be harvested isn't the worse thing that can happen. However, bear hunting isn't easy - and most are not bringing one back. Question is....did they bother you, did that they were hunting bother you, or was it that they had rifles that really bothered? And yeah, they were goofing with you - of course they said patronizing stuff, because they knew you'd get huffy......I am sure they got a huge laugh after it and labeled you a "City Slicker Liberal". You know it's just simple human nature and comedic writing in that. I carry when I hike, but I don't open carry and being a short woman, no one gives it heed. Once had a backwoods gent apologize to me on a remote section of the PCT if his open carry cowboy pistol scared me - being that I was alone. I flashed him mine and he smiled back. And off I went. Mine was bigger, but hey....... At least I didn't get labeled a city slicker. So there was that.
Good post. And bears, being intelligent, learn to run away from humans instead of harassing hikers for food. That fear of people is a good thing for bears.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities