Forum Index > Food & Grub > Simple Tasty Trail Friendly Burrito
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 pm 
Here is a good tasting and filling dinner for the trail that is freezer bag cooked and easy to make. I use Sante Fe Refried Beans as the base. I prefer the Fire Roasted Chipotle Refried Beans, but you can use one of the others and add the seasoning as you like. I then add FD Bell Peppers, FD Cheddar or Jack Cheese, FD onions, and sometimes instant rice. I also use FD ground beef with this. Sometimes I add it in with the rest of the mix and sometimes I hydrate it separately, depending on different circumstances. If you add it in with the rest of the stuff you have to allow extra time for it to rehydrate. I then add the Crispy Jalapenos at the last minute and serve it on a tortilla or have it "naked", i.e. with out tortilla. I also have packets of salsa to add over the top. This all hydrates well and is a nice trail dinner. The ground beef and cheese add LOTS of calories (fat and protein) as well as flavor. All these ingredients are easily available online. I highly suggest starting your backpacker pantry to easily and relatively inexpensively assemble tasty meals for your backcountry adventures. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 1:56 pm 
What are the freeze dried "Crispy jalapenos" like? Do they retain their hotness, or is it mellowed out by the processing?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 6:35 pm 
The Crispy Jalapenos are not FD. They are found in the salad fixings section of the grocery store. Frenches brand makes some also. I have found them at Safeway and Walmart. Anyway, they pack a bit of heat but not over the top heat. They retain their crispy if you add them at the last minute. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Apr 21, 2019 11:19 am 
Thats a decent soundin' b'rido!