Forum Index > Trip Reports > A snowy excursion up the new Kelley Creek Trail 1/25/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Feb 04, 2019 6:54 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Well that's a hell of a disease. I hope he didn't touch him.
Well don't it was a disease. The gentleman appeared to be in 70's so would suspect heat stroke or heart failure. Six years back I took my wife up the Kelly cr trail it was flagged in place and over grown with huckleberry bushes. Earlier that winter there was a heavy wind storm in the valley. When we got to place where the trail goes away from the creek we ran into a large windfall area. Walking on the downed trees you could see the trail down below you. Figured as many trees down as there was they would switchback above it as we pick the trail back up above the blow down.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Feb 04, 2019 1:55 pm 
Sky Hiker, they actually followed the established trail as they cleared those huge blowdowns. Only problem was, like I mentioned earlier, they quit about a mile before the saddle. Thanks for the WTA link, Rich. That was posted about the same time that we went through. When we approached from the Scorpion Mountain trailhead the previous summer, I brought notes that I had taken from your old TR and they were very helpful. up.gif

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Feb 04, 2019 2:23 pm 
Well here's to hoping it gets finished. It's been a few years since I poked around at the old horse camp below Scorpion Mtn.

Arthur

Arthur
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:31 am 
An update for the people that have done lots of work on Kelley Creek in the past. We were asked by the SRD if our volunteers would be able to log out the Martin Creek Connector. We accepted the assignment and discovered a few people had time in their schedules in the middle of July. Norm put together some photo stories of our trips. They are linked below. We spent 2 days, July 16th Kelley Creek Logout July 16th and July 19th Kelley Creek Logout July 19th logging out the Martin Creek Connector. Then a few of us thought we would do a recreational hike from Johnson Ridge to the Martin Creek trailhead on July 22, assuming the trail would be easy to follow. As can be seen in the GPS track (last photo), we missed the trail going down into Kelley Creek. DO NOT follow our track from 5,300' to due west of Captain Point. It was not a preferred route. The MUCH better route we found on Aug 1st is shown at the end of that photo story. Johnson Ridge to Kelley Creek July 22nd Norm and I went back on Aug 1st and went searching. It looks like there are a number of logs down on the trail from Scorpion toward Captain's Point. If the correct trail location can be confirmed, we have permission to return and log out the trail. That would help future hikers follow the trail. Norm's photo story: Kelley Ck Trail Search Aug 1st We placed a lot of flagging and are coordinating with the USFS, asking them to confirm the trail location. If some of the people with more experience in the area have opinions or other evidence that would get us closer to the historical trail location, please PM me. Thanks

RichP

RichP
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 7:48 am 
I followed the old trail out to Captain Point and don't recall it being overly difficult. it was flagged quite a bit. I do remember one key switchback that absolutely needed to be followed lest one be off route for sure. I wish I had a track to share. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8018701&highlight=captain+pt+point

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 8:45 am 
I do know there was one switchback that was under that large blow down area but picked the trail up above it.

jdk610

jdk610
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 am 
I just did this route last week (Kelley Creek all the way up and through to Johnson Ridge TH, then bike back to car). TR here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8030288 Arthur, that must've been your flagging I saw up there! Makin my life easy peasy. smile.gif