Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > I love this kind of day...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 4:47 pm 
It's snowing, blowing, and just a beautiful day out! Wind is 38, gusting to 61mph. I love this kind of day!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 5:46 pm 
I see on the weather reports that ND will have -50 degrees with the windchill, like that's a big deal, lol. I recall -140 with WC near Belfield, ND....and when my then wife and I stepped off the train in Williston, it was 40 below without the windchill. I once got stuck in my 2wd truck and walked 4 miles in -20, wasn't bad (until I stopped) even though I was wearing tennis shoes. I made it to a farmhouse about 4 am and 2 large German Shepperds greeted me. After about 10-15 minutes of knocking with no response I was getting ready to snuggle up with the pooches in their dog house. But they finally answered.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 11:50 pm 
The wind chill formula was revised in 2001... wind chills with the current formula probably don't reach -100 in the lower 48 states, except in the mountains where there aren't weather stations. Lowest recorded wind chill in Lower 48 that I'm aware of is somewhere in the -92 to -95 F range on Mount Washington, NH on 1/6/2018 (-36F , 94mph sustained wind). They don't seem to have a published wind chill record there (surprisingly since they're so proud of their weather), but it's maybe been below -100 at some point (-40F and 103 mph would do it, with -40 being much, much more rare there than 103 mph wind).

Badger

Badger
PostTue Jan 29, 2019 10:57 am 
Basking in the 70's down here in AZ!

gb

gb
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:56 am 
I was skiing at Jackson Hole one winter, and the top of the tram was -30F with a 45 mile per hour wind. That equates to -72 windchill. We had to wrap our arms around our faces as we crossed into the wind the bowl at the top of the mountain. That trip also saw 15" of new snow fall at -22F. The snow was so light you could literally blow the snow at your feet while standing up!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 8:07 am 
On the news they are making a huge deal of the cold temps in the midwest. I recall growing up in ND that -20 wasn't even a big deal, and we didn't think it was all that cold until at least -30.....bunch of "Snowflakes". lol.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 11:10 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
On the news they are making a huge deal of the cold temps in the midwest. I recall growing up in ND that -20 wasn't even a big deal, and we didn't think it was all that cold until at least -30.....bunch of "Snowflakes". lol.gif
That's what I'm thinking. They even cancelled school today - High School, Middle School, Elementary School and even the University! "Snowflakes" indeed! I went out this morning @ -24F to get some pistachio muffins to accompany morning coffee, and it was a beauty of a day (no wind!). Now had the wind been up some, that would have been different. eek.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
gb

gb
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 12:14 pm 
Years ago temperatures of -30 to even -50 used to take place every few years. I recall seeing, don't recall, either Whitehorse or Fairbanks hit -71 and had a week where it never got above -57. At that time the information was on the weather page of the Post Intelligencer. Wikipedia list of temperature extremes by state: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._state_temperature_extremes

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 31, 2019 10:54 pm 
My best Minnesota story is the time we left a bottle of whisky in the car overnight and in the morning it was slushy. Didn't have a thermometer, but people in the area were having trouble with their propane heaters, so it must have been around -44.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostWed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 am 
8 inches
8 inches
I'm happy with what we got at home.