Forum Index > Gear Talk > New "DWR"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OwenT

OwenT
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 11:08 pm 
This was listed as one of popular science's top 100 innovations of 2018. Greene Theme From what I can tell it supposed to be a better hydrophobic coating for WPBs that won't wet out at fast and of course it's supposed to be "greener". It's not a WPB fabric. I wonder if it's really any better than the current DWRs. I think they're trying to say it doesn't wash or wear, but I think it still will, just not as fast.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm 
I just watched a documentary, The Devil You Know. Covers Dupont and 3M production of a class of chemicals PFOA or C8. It is used in everything. This could be a improvement. But it reads like a press release.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
christensent

christensent
PostMon Feb 04, 2019 5:47 pm 
I'll believe it when I see it. It's far too easy to make a website saying you've revolutionized an industry while keeping it green over competition. I've found that usually green alternatives don't work as well as polluting chemical-heavy solutions. Unfortunate, but strong chemicals do things that environmentally-friendly substitutes just don't do. Not saying it's actually impossible, just that I have no reason to have any belief what so ever in the contents of that website.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat