Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > trailer hitch and towing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 12:02 am 
curious if it's a WA state law to remove the trailer hitch from your vehicle while not towing a trailer. i came across a post on a different site where the poster said that was law in his state (not sure which state)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 1:23 am 
I had someone from California harsh me out for not removing my trailer hitch prior to driving around. He said traffic laws in California required it. I said nothing to this person before or after he spoke to me. This bizarre encounter occurred in Banff. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 5:03 am 
Are you talking about removing the actual 2" ball from the receiver hitch? If so Ive never heard of such a thing. Most of my vehicles have receiver hitches, and I leave the 2" in the hitch most of the time.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 7:53 am 
iron wrote:
curious if it's a WA state law
No such law on the books in WA. "Standards for vehicle connecting devices and towing methods" are set by Chapter 204-70 WAC .

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:28 am 
I've heard of it in other states. I can't think of which and I wonder if it is actually enforced. I have one that sticks out a bit--I took it off for the winter to keep it from the elements. I'm thinking other states have laws to keep idiots from running into a stuck out hitch. I had a guy in a shop truck bump mine at a gas station one time. People ought not to be parking that close, or following that close.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 9:10 am 
My wife was pulled over in Issaquah and told to remove the hitch ball. This was in an old Ford Ranger with the license plate and hitch ball both attached to the step bumper. The officer said it blocked the license plate from view (which it did). I removed the ball but it was attached 99.5% of the time for 30 years before anyone said it was an issue so you do the math and decide if it is worth the effort.