Forum Index > Trail Talk > Runner Kills Mountain Lion that Attacked Him
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:07 pm 
Thanks for posting that video link, Eric. It's a riveting story for sure. Why on earth did they end the video just before the climax? Maybe there's a part II somewhere. That young man was strong and very resourceful to get out of that situation like he did. Well done! ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm 
It sounded like he stomped on its throat while it’s mouth was clamped on his arm, guy is totally badass. hockeygrin.gif trailrunners have pretty strong legs.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 9:28 pm 
longer version here.

Off trail rambler
Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:19 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
longer version here.
The jogger was aware of the lion in time to yell/wave arms and assume a defensive posture before the physical attack commenced. It would be helpful to know how much time elapsed before it was on him. Once the cat engaged physically it was a fight to the end. Even blows to the head using a rock did not cause the lion to disengage. This suggests attacks must be deterred or prevented before the lion can make physical contact.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:39 pm 
pcg wrote:
One of the videos above shows one of the "Not that many" who succeeded, so we have at least anecdotal evidence that one person was able to protect themselves from a cougar attack with bear spray. Is there any anecdotal evidence of anyone ever NOT being able to stop a cougar attack with bear spray? i.e. A person was found dead from a cougar attack and an empty can of bear spray was found on the ground nearby, or "I sprayed the cat with bear spray, but he kept coming. Luckily I was able to escape because..." I'd be curious to hear about the instances where it's failed to work.
Good question. Additionally it would also be helpful to know encounters where bear spray was being carried but not used, and not being carried at all. I was not able to find reporting on the two fatal incidents last year that mentioned if the victims were carrying bear spray or not. Cases where carrying a deterrent but not deploying it must also be taken into consideration.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Vertec

Vertec
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 12:07 am 
Another interview:
ER photos at 8:20.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:20 pm 
Really interesting blow by blow. I've carried a knife on my hip for years and that seems like a pretty useful option in such a situation. Interesting that both in this video and the North Bend tragedy, the cat did not flee when resisted. A fight to the death. That makes one think.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 7:03 pm 
lol.gif

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
pcg

pcg
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 8:01 pm 
No one has commented on this, but lest people get the idea that it's possible to win a hand-to-hand fight with a cougar, think again. The cougar killed by the gentleman in Colorado was a kitten and smaller than some bobcats. From USA Today... "Officials estimated the animal was 35-40 pounds". There was a cougar trapped in WA last year that weighed 197 pounds.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:07 pm 
pcg wrote:
No one has commented on this, but lest people get the idea that it's possible to win a hand-to-hand fight with a cougar, think again. The cougar killed by the gentleman in Colorado was just beyond a kitten and smaller than some bobcats. From USA Today... "Officials estimated the animal was 35-40 pounds". There was a cougar trapped in WA last year that weighed 197 pounds.
Ah, yeah, that is an important detail.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:12 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
lol.gif
Hilarious! Fight the cougar; flee the skunk! Who knew?

contour5

contour5
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 pm 
Quote:
There was a cougar trapped in WA last year that weighed 197 pounds.
Those are the ones that cause me to ponder. The ones that outweigh me by a significant margin. Would I be able to successfully shishkabob that sucker with my pole on the first pass? What if it merely took the pole and flung it away? Or simply snapped it in half with its massive fanged teeth? What then? Would I be able to retrieve my 3" folding pocket knife, unfold and engage in a timely and effective manner, inflicting mortal wounds by slashing and stabbing repeatedly? And in a last ditch effort, could I strangle the life from a massive, slinky, feline killing machine comprised of razor sharp claws and teeth wrapped in soft, luxuriant, stinky fur? I doubt it. Might could get lucky, but I reckon if that day comes- meaning when some random apex level predator decides that my sinews and guts would provide a tasty snack- well, I reckon that will be when my time is up. I've been lucky so far. I'm still feeling lucky for the most part. Every once in a while I feel them watching me, and it really creeps me out. What about carrying a bag of live rodents? You could toss them one by one or just hurl the entire bag, to create a diversion and escape with your entrails in their proper place?

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 pm 
This particular cougar was somewhere around 5 months old. Cubs are supposed to stay with their mothers for up to 2 years. Definitely a baby. So was it an orphan in desperate circumstances or a particularly daring juvenile? This incident may be more likened to kicking the ass of your typical navy seals 10 year old son. A tough little sh## mind you, but all accomplishments should be kept in perspective.✌️

Vertec

Vertec
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 12:44 am 
Kascadia wrote:
lol.gif
As stated in so many other threads here, I will continue to keep my skunk handy. Proven to work more often that guaaaa..... Bear Spray!

KMarks
Loves to HIke

KMarks
Loves to HIke
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 3:58 pm 
My son's friend was attacked and nearly gutted by a cougar in Whatcom county this last year. He was sitting overlooking a view and eating his lunch when it jumped him. I have yet to see anyone do an interview with him.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams