Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 1:04 pm 
kiliki wrote:
The Pantheras Puma Project had some thoughts ... We think the cat actually increased its aggression, including the charges, because Burgess was not aggressive enough in return. When cats are curious or aggressive, often the best strategy is to be aggressive right back. To stop and hold ground, or even to take one or two quick steps toward the animal while clapping and yelling.
Just wanted to say my house cats stop in their tracks whenever I clap loudly at them. Even when they've found a mouse. Definitely clap loudly if you're ever in a situation like this. If you have a water bottle in reach, that's better than crouching to pick rocks up. Phone, InReach, stuff like that too. Thanks, kiliki, for posting this.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
Air horn. They work on dogs, bears, cougars
I have heard this. Popper device or the horn. Loud noises, I'd run away too! Loud noises catch aggressors off guard: Growing up I was bullied by a neighbor... My dad wasn't impressed by my choice of friends and told me "you are who you associate with." So I defriended him... That's when the bullying began. No physical violence so to speak just maybe threats. But I didn't let it get that far. One day while walking home from school that kid and an accomplice strung 8 track ribbon across the street and said if I crossed it they'd kick my ass. That's when things got interesting. I was out numbered but not out witted. I started yelling, flailing my arms like a crazy fool and ran around that stupid tape all the way home. So air horns for people too! And dogs! Most everyone doesn't like loud noises especially when they come from an unexpected place. You do have to choose your defense methods. I was threatened at knife point in a bathroom in elementary school by another looser. That time I kept cool and made it to class safely. People obsess about animals but it seems to be humans who ruin it for the bunch? As for aggressive animals, I don't think I've ever had to yell other than to reinforce an already scared bear. My cat encounters, luckily they all went their own ways. Yelling doesn't have any effect on drunk coastal racoons....

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSat Oct 17, 2020 10:57 am 
Brucester wrote:
Yelling doesn't have any effect on drunk coastal racoons....
Which are second only to drunk coastal skunks. Now we're talking some scary wildlife!

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 4:46 pm 
Bruce you sound like you were traumatized.